Author Topic: Online File Sharing sites?  (Read 9018 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Online File Sharing sites?
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »
I need to be able to include a link in email (cover letters for my resume) to an online file sharing site where I can upload samples of my work - files to include word docs, pdf and jpg files. Very important that the person clicking the link be able to view all files without joining, downloading anything, or otherwise "committing."

Can someone recommend a good site that doesn't require jumping through a ton of hoops, either for me or the end receiver?

Thanks!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Online File Sharing sites?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »
I like to use dropbox for such purposes.  You can set privacy on individual files, and you can send a public link to your recipient.  

Here is their description on how to do it:

http://www.dropbox.com/help/16

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
Google docs can do this IIRC.  Also, you can share links with dropbox (again, IIRC).
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »
I tried dropbox, but when I "shared" the folder with a friend to test it, he had to either download something or join. Potential employers likely won't do that. Click a link and look at files, but that's about it.

Forgot all about Google Docs. Have to test that and see if one link will link to a folder of various files.

Open to other ideas as well.

Thanks!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:01:46 PM »
I tried dropbox, but when I "shared" the folder with a friend to test it, he had to either download something or join. Potential employers likely won't do that. Click a link and look at files, but that's about it.

Thanks!

No joining necessary for the recipient.  All you have to do is share the public link to the document. 

for instance:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87337/test%20doc.rtf
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
All of these tend to strike me an unprofessional.

Find a friend with some publically addressable server space (you can probably find one here...) and use either their domain name pointing at it, or spend ten dollars on your own domain to point at the same box.

So intead of something like:

My work history can be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=dhn2vcv5_843fgbk2dk

You have something like

My work history can be viewed here: http://www.mrssmithmarketing.com/2008/portfolio.pdf

It shouldn't, but in my experience minor things like this are very important in controling the inital impression especially when it's not a F2F contact.  That inital impression is critical to getting to the point where you can fully elaborate and use your smashing interpersonal skills to seal the deal.  Links to third party sites, at least in my perception, come across like the nigerian scammer emails.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:15:59 PM »

Try this link and see if it meets your needs: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5017724/How%20to%20use%20the%20Public%20folder.rtf
 That's a link to a file in my Dropbox.
DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »
but use a tinyurl to link to the huge url

www.tinyurl.com
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:29:26 PM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
I did try that DD, but I'd need a link for every item because the link won't work for an entire folder. Portfolio contains several files - writing clips, images, etc.

Found a site called MediaFire, thought it was going to work - photos showed up, but the writing clips have to be downloaded. There has to be something out there.

Will do a website at some point but don't have time to create now. I'm trying to apply to a specific job and the longer I wait to do so...

Thanks guys!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:46:56 AM »
I did try that DD, but I'd need a link for every item because the link won't work for an entire folder.

Ahhh, okay.  Gotcha now.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
As an aside, I signed up for some space on the Amazon cloud.  $20 for 20 gigs for 1 year.  Sounded pretty good, since I can also upload mp3s and not have them count towards the 20 gigs.

I discovered the drawback: you can only download the files ONE AT A TIME!  Idiots.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:51:38 AM »
I like Nick's idea.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
I like Nick's idea.

Thanks.

Will do a website at some point but don't have time to create now. I'm trying to apply to a specific job and the longer I wait to do so...

I'm not suggesting you build a website.  You're significantly overestimating the effort this will take; I'm suggesting you put your files somewhere - ANYWHERE - publically addressable, then pointing a domain name at it.  You might even be able to use a free google apps account for it.  Domain names run $10/yr.  It's your call, but I think such things speaks volumes on professionalism, or the lack thereof.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:18 PM »
Actually, took Ben's advice and created a "Google Site." Just used a basic template, home page explaining the site in very brief terms, then a page for my res, page for photography, page for writing, contact me page. Once I figured out how to navigate their page layout structure, it took no time to put it together.

In the cover letter I sent via email to the company in question, I created a hyperlink that said, "View my online portfolio here."

Looks professional, no glitches, easy to navigate, they don't have to download anything, and I have multiple examples of my writing and photography for them to view.

So Nick, basically took your suggestion, just left out a step and didn't point an actual domain at it.