Author Topic: IL High School Policy Limits Bathroom Breaks  (Read 7488 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
IL High School Policy Limits Bathroom Breaks
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:19 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/17/michigan-high-school-policy-limits-bathroom-breaks
Students at Evergreen Park High School are allowed three restroom visits during class per semester.  After the 3rd visit they have to make up any missed class time after school.  The principal head idiot in charge states that "it deters them from using restroom visits as an excuse to miss class."  It is up to each individual teacher to enforce the policy.

Ah it is so good to see that common sense is still in the process of dying. [/sarcasm]
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: IL High School Policy Limits Bathroom Breaks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:36:21 PM »
This is new? My middle and high schools did this *expletive deleted*.

Most teachers did not enforce it that anally, but most did limit the number of breaks (but it was a higher number)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
Who cares. Little shits get breaks every two classes anyways at most high schools in the nation.

Little jerks need to learn to manage their time, and go to the bathroom before going into class
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
Who takes 3 breaks in one class period? In any case, it's their education. If they fail to pass it's there own fault, and if they are making good grades then why does it matter?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/17/michigan-high-school-policy-limits-bathroom-breaks
Students at Evergreen Park High School are allowed three restroom visits during class per semester.  After the 3rd visit they have to make up any missed class time after school.  The principal head idiot in charge states that "it deters them from using restroom visits as an excuse to miss class."  It is up to each individual teacher to enforce the policy.

Ah it is so good to see that common sense is still in the process of dying. [/sarcasm]

That would have been generous when I was in school (graduated HS in 1991).  Students weren't generally allowed to leave class for bathroom breaks unless it was an emergency.  We had 5mins between classes and you were expected to go then.  Frankly, if you can't go 55 minutes at a time without hitting the head (emergencies excepted), you probably have a medical issue.

It even says it's up to the teachers to enforce the policy, so they can be even more generous.  I don't see why this is a problem.

Who cares. Little *expletive deleted*s get breaks every two classes anyways at most high schools in the nation.

Little jerks need to learn to manage their time, and go to the bathroom before going into class
Wow, bitter much?

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:57:17 PM »
Who takes 3 breaks in one class period? In any case, it's their education. If they fail to pass it's there own fault, and if they are making good grades then why does it matter?

Not per period, per class per semester.  IE if you have 5 classes, you can take 15 bathroom breaks during class each semester.  This doesn't count breaks taken before school starts or while changing classes.

Chris

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:57:29 PM »
Yes I'm bitter. Worked for the school system and got tired of watching kids use bathroom breaks as an excuse to go play johnny f*&$around.

And all other forms of walking on the teachers

Kids need to grab their hooah straw and suck it up
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
Yes I'm bitter. Worked for the school system and got tired of watching kids use bathroom breaks as an excuse to go play johnny f*&$around.

And all other forms of walking on the teachers

Kids need to grab their hooah straw and suck it up

I see the need as one for the parents to start parenting and to start cooperating with the school as opposed to dropping their precious tax deduction off in the morning and collecting them at the end of the day without a care for what the darling did during the day (unless the school tries to harass them about something).

If there are too many kids disrupting classes by running to the head then there is a need to address the root of the problem, rather than try and control the symptom.  Or at least that's how it would be in my perfect world.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
Not per period, per class per semester.  IE if you have 5 classes, you can take 15 bathroom breaks during class each semester.  This doesn't count breaks taken before school starts or while changing classes.

Oh, well in that case, WTF!? 5 minutes between classes isn't always enough time to go use the head, while at the same time needing to get your books from your locker and make it to class. And depending on how the school is set up you could end up doing a lot of running around to begin with to get from one end to the other. And what happens when you have to take a number 2? And sometimes you just have to go. I went to a very small school and I would sometimes have trouble using the head between classes.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
All fine and dandy till you get the kid  that does have a minor medical issue or who's stomach is having a disagreement with the school lunch and the sadistic teacher that won't let little Timmy or Tonya go to the bathroom. Or, the young lady that doesn't quite have the experience to mange her 2nd or 3rd ever period and the same zero tolerance sadist is in charge.
I can't see any potential for abuse here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
Oh, well in that case, WTF!? 5 minutes between classes isn't always enough time to go use the head, while at the same time needing to get your books from your locker and make it to class. And depending on how the school is set up you could end up doing a lot of running around to begin with to get from one end to the other. And what happens when you have to take a number 2? And sometimes you just have to go. I went to a very small school and I would sometimes have trouble using the head between classes.

That's why you get 3 per class per semester. 

The last HS I went to had terrible "traffic" in the halls between classes, including one section where they added onto the school but didn't allow for the volume going to/from the new section.  It could take a significant portion of your "commute" time getting through that area.  I started carrying books for my pre-lunch and post lunch classes rather than trying to hit my locker between each class.  Your complaints are falling on deaf ears. :P

All fine and dandy till you get the kid  that does have a minor medical issue or who's stomach is having a disagreement with the school lunch and the sadistic teacher that won't let little Timmy or Tonya go to the bathroom. Or, the young lady that doesn't quite have the experience to mange her 2nd or 3rd ever period and the same zero tolerance sadist is in charge.
I can't see any potential for abuse here.

The potential and reality for abuse was already there.  If anything, this acts almost as a Bill of Bathroom Rights.  The school is saying it's OK for a student to leave class to hit the restroom a few times a semester.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:42:20 PM »
Call me a capitalist pig, but I think kids should be able to hit the head whenever they want/need to... Teacher permission be damned.

Just another opportunity for the exceptional students to demonstrate their ability to excel, and the dips#its to get out of class and stop sucking up the teacher's time.  And... if some kid actually does have an imminent bowel explosion, there's no call for him to drop trow on the teacher's desk and pull a Cartman when he's prohibited from leaving to do the job properly into the porcelain receptacle.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
I started carrying books for my pre-lunch and post lunch classes rather than trying to hit my locker between each class.

After the Columbine shooting my school didn't allow backpacks for a long time, or poofy jackets. I retaliated by substituting my backpack with one of those big black trash bags, and that was before I was politically conscious. :lol:

After the 3rd visit they have to make up any missed class time after school.

So miss 5 minutes of class, stay after school for 5 minutes?  ??? What a tremendous waist of time, you can't learn anything in that time. How is the kid supposed to get home if they don't own a car?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
Most teachers did not enforce it that anally...

I see what you did there.  =)
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:54:14 PM »
After the Columbine shooting my school didn't allow backpacks for a long time, or poofy jackets.
 I retaliated by substituting my backpack with one of those big black trash bags, and that was before I was politically conscious. :lol:

So miss 5 minutes of class, stay after school for 5 minutes?  ??? What a tremendous waist of time, you can't learn anything in that time. How is the kid supposed to get home if they don't own a car?

Its not about learning, its about control
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
In high school, I don't remember ever leaving class for a bathroom break . . . there was always enough time at lunch, during study halls, when changing for gym, between classes, etc.

The only time bathroom breaks became an issue was briefly around 7th grade; at that time we stayed in one class for the whole school day, and different teachers came in for different subjects. Homeroom teacher decided that he didn't want to take the class down to the bathroom after lunch, so there would be NO bathroom break at all - all day!

That lasted about 1 day - and he was severely chastised by the principal.

Moron.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:19 PM »

Most teachers did not enforce it that anally,

An interesting turn of phrase, given the subject.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:51:38 PM »
Call me a capitalist pig, but I think kids should be able to hit the head whenever they want/need to... Teacher permission be damned.

Just another opportunity for the exceptional students to demonstrate their ability to excel, and the dips#its to get out of class and stop sucking up the teacher's time.  And... if some kid actually does have an imminent bowel explosion, there's no call for him to drop trow on the teacher's desk and pull a Cartman when he's prohibited from leaving to do the job properly into the porcelain receptacle.
That would be fine if schools were allowed to fail out the idiots.  I don't think they can. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
The whole problem, like practically every school problem, stems from the fact that the students don't want to be there, they are only there because they have to be. Adults would behave exactly like school children do, if they were forced by the government to go sit in class every day instead of doing what they want. I actually applaud the children who are disobedient and disruptive; I don't consider it an unhealthy response, but the appropriate one.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »
To what end and purpose? The kids who want to learn will limit themselves to only necessary bathroom trips. The kids who don't care...5 minutes more in class per instance is going to make a difference? This rule accomplishes nothing.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
zach -

Back in the day kids were allowed to drop out of school and try to make their way in the world without benefit of a HS diploma.  Some, who were especially skilled with their hands, made it.  Others, who had no skills besides being either the class clown, a punk (really olde tyme term for a juvenile delinquent), or the terminally stupid (not mentally challenged but just plain dumb with no hope of improving) either found jobs in the lower echelons of food service or other similar sectors of the work world.

Nowadays there are too many barriers to kids trying to make it on their own, although some areas offer opportunities in the unregistered pharmaceuticals distribution and delivery and personal property redistribution trades.  Some school districts try to operate "alternative" school programs for the kids who otherwise are disruptive or drain too many resources in the traditional setting, but as the economy continues to spiral downwards more and more barriers are erected to keep those kids out of the labor market.  Heck, even the unions are starting to change the rules about getting into apprenticeship programs.  And when was the last time you saw an ad on TV for the Job Corps?

Since the beginning of the 20th century the plan has been to keep children out of the labor market as long as possible.  Some time after WWII the plan was enlarged to include political indoctrination.  The big "you need a college degree to succeed" lie was and continues to be a part of that plan.

How do you plan to deal with the kids that cannot be maintained on the reservation?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
. . . Back in the day kids were allowed to drop out of school and try to make their way in the world without benefit of a HS diploma.   . . .
Can't have that - they might compete for ditchdigging or food service jobs with illegal aliens, a "safe" voting bloc for the Democratic Party.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
Can't have that - they might compete for ditchdigging or food service jobs with illegal aliens, a "safe" voting bloc for the Democratic Party.

Are you implying that illegal aliens are *voting*?  :boggle:  That would be illegal!   Wait a minute...
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
Bathroom breaks are nessasary. There are some things a young lady cannot control.

Enough said.

(and fyi, my school had 80 minute class periods with four classes a day, with a class switch on alternating days)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
Back in the day kids were allowed to drop out of school and try to make their way in the world without benefit of a HS diploma.

In Israel, it is legal for individuals to take the exams that would qualify them for a high school diploma at any age. If they get good enough grades they can then enter college. In particular it's possible - and quite often done in certain classes of society - to take those exams during your military service.

I can't see why it's necessary for an individual to  necessarily go to high school to get HS-level education.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner