Author Topic: Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera  (Read 6333 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera
« on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:15 PM »
http://www.slashgear.com/throwable-panoramic-ball-camera-has-us-seeing-spherical-potential-13187881/
Video
A ball that contains 36 mobile phone camera modules.  You throw it up into the air and it will snap a picture once it reaches its apogee.  You then use software to put the pictures together in a 360 degree panoramic shot.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Throwable Panoramic Ball Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
Looks like a young Luke Skywalker ought to be having his first lightsaber practice wearing a helmet with the blast shields down with it.
I promise not to duck.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »
perfect for seeing over the neighbors pesky fence.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »
My next question is does one launch it with a potato cannon or a trebuchet? >:D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »

Neither would probably work well since it looks as if the slight pause as the ball apexes before its descent triggers the cameras.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
Other than the slight deceleration from wind resistance, the ball isn't going to know if it's moving in a parabola or straight up and down. It's still going to have the same up-and-down kinematics if you shoot it out at an angle or straight up.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »
This could be quite useful in a voyeristic-kinda way.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:09:45 PM »

I'm thinking a water balloon sling shot
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »
This could be quite useful in a voyeristic-kinda way.....  ;)

Trying to see over the privacy fence that your neighbor put up?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:58:03 AM »
I can see two or three of them being thrown in the air simultaneously with a separation of a few feet or yards, and being able to create virtual 3-D walkthroughs.

Imagine these camera-balls, and their images run through something like Microsoft Lab's Photosynth, or the Google Streetview system with it's intelligent 3D photo-stitching technology.

http://www.ted.com/talks/blaise_aguera_y_arcas_demos_photosynth.html

The whole TED-talk demo, actually pretty "old" in net-years, circa 2007, but it's still impressive, and the real payoff in terms of what can be done to automatically "stitch" together photos into an immersive 3D navigable environment is if you skip ahead to 3:55.  =)
I promise not to duck.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »
Other than the slight deceleration from wind resistance, the ball isn't going to know if it's moving in a parabola or straight up and down. It's still going to have the same up-and-down kinematics if you shoot it out at an angle or straight up.

My thoughts also.  How does it know that it's at apogee?

They probably just set it so that it goes off X seconds after it senses entering freefall, and then calibrated X to be half the flight time of an average throw.  If the ball was smart, they would make it recalibrate X based on previous throws.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 04:19:23 PM »
How does it know that it's at apogee?

Simple accelerometer function.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
Hmmm...in another ten years, I can see myself on the beach in Florida, wearing sandals and black socks of course, playing with this ball. The young ladies will say, "look at that poor old lonely man playing with a ball like he's a little kid. >:D

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »

Not so simple if you want it to be able to handle the general case of a parabolic trajectory. Because the ball can rotate; I assume there is no requirement to toss it so that a particular side stays up. You could use a 3-axis accelerometer but if the ball is spinning, you are going to get some pretty crazy traces from all 3 axes. 3 axes of accelerometer plus a gyro would let you put it all together but it would be nontrivial.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
Barometric.  There are some relatively inexpensive sensors available that can detect as little as one foot of altitude change.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:33:15 PM »

Looks like it would fit perfectly down the bore of one of the 'punkin chunkin' air cannons!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 10:36:34 PM »
Not so simple if you want it to be able to handle the general case of a parabolic trajectory. Because the ball can rotate; I assume there is no requirement to toss it so that a particular side stays up. You could use a 3-axis accelerometer but if the ball is spinning, you are going to get some pretty crazy traces from all 3 axes. 3 axes of accelerometer plus a gyro would let you put it all together but it would be nontrivial.

If you want to go that complex, have it shoot video with full position and orientation sensing, and the software could reconstruct a 3D still scene without the need for multiple balls.  For that matter, tossing and/or rolling it around could generate full 3D walkthroughs.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »
How long before we can roll it into a room and it will blow up if it sees someone I told it not to like? Yeah we got grenades, but I hate the hassle of sticking my head in to see if someone I don't like is inside.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »

Negative. A simple accelerometer would show 0g from the moment it leaves your hand until you catch it or it hits the ground.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »
For that matter, tossing and/or rolling it around could generate full 3D walkthroughs.

I think that this is the technique Hollywood uses for action movies, only without the reconstruction software bit.

Negative. A simple accelerometer would show 0g from the moment it leaves your hand until you catch it or it hits the ground.

Sigh. Physics fail. The ball would see a constant 9.8m/s^2 acceleration downward during its entire trajectory, neglecting air resistance.
--Tallpine

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 09:58:49 AM »
Sigh. Physics fail. The ball would see a constant 9.8m/s^2 acceleration downward during its entire trajectory, neglecting air resistance.

No.  That's what YOU would see, as an outsider observing the ball.  The ball itself would feel nothing while in flight, and would feel a constant acceleration of 9.8m/s2 while you are holding it still in your hand.
Charles Babbage

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »
I think that this is the technique Hollywood uses for action movies, only without the reconstruction software bit.

Sigh, engineering fail.  An simple accelerometer measures the force between a proof mass and a fixed (to the accelerometer) point.  When "falling" (defined in this case as free movement in a gravity field, including upward on a ballistic trajectory), the force between the proof mass and case will be zero (no net acceleration between the two, including no net gravity force difference) and the accelerometer will read zero, again, neglecting aerodynamic drag.  
HOWEVER, if one paired the accelerometer with some processing to create a 3-axis IMU, then biased it with a negative vector sum bias equal to 9.8m/s, it would then read what you describe, and the integral term of the combined vector (net velocity) would be zero when held, increase during the throw/launch, then progressively decrease to near zero (apogee), increase again in the fall, then decrease to near zero on the catch/landing.

So a simple one or three ads accelerometer is insufficient, one needs to add some processing (creating a 3-axis IMU, rather than a 3-axis accelerometer).

The above is not valid if the acceleration or velocity is measured relative to some external datum (I.e. relativistically or Doppler rf of other transmitters nearby) as that would give you a  measurement of acceleration (the relativistic measurement) or velocity (Doppler) that doesn't depend on relative local forces.

Given the above, the device likely uses a 3-axis accelerometer and a simple micro controller to do the processing.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
gps trigger it and send it up on a ballon ride
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
Cups and string.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »
How about a light field camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyRSYGcFVM&feature=player_embedded

Watch the above link for explanation.

https://www.lytro.com/