Author Topic: lions & tigers & bears (almost)  (Read 3993 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: lions & tigers & bears (almost)
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
I saw a mountain lion while driving home from the range one night... in a rural neighborhood!  Crossing the street, prowling for stray dogs/cats and vermin.

Seriously considered stopping and taking it down with my .45.  I didn't, because I was inside city limits by just a couple blocks.

But if I saw a real african lion... wow.  That'd be something else.  The desire to fill one of my "Big Five" tickets might overtake my sense of self preservation.   =D
Get a supressor. Then never leave home without it =D. Then hope you can quickly load a whole lion into your car, quickly and without being noticed :laugh:.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »
UPDATE:

Apparently, all that is left roaming the countryside is a timber wolf and a chimpanzee.  So all you wanna be big cat hunters, the opportunity has passed.

And, as you may expect, the locals animal huggers are already in an uproar over the fact that responding officers apparently dropped a lot of the animals, including a bengal tiger.

My bailiff is kind of pissed.  He was hoping to come across a panther this deer season.   ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
But, but, but it was coming right at us !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2436_3BRlA
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »
UPDATE:

Apparently, all that is left roaming the countryside is a timber wolf and a chimpanzee. 

So, ya'll have a start with wolf reintroduction  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2011, 06:35:20 PM »
I think I'd rather face a wolf than a pissed off chimp. Those little guys are wicked strong :O.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »
*pauses to appraise his collection of firearms* You know, I always considered myself ready for any north American game, dangerous or otherwise, but this makes me wonder if have anything sufficient for African/Asian dangerous game.

My best choices currently in the safe:
Howa-1500 in .300 WinMag
M1 Garand and M1903 in .30-06
M1A in .308 Win
Saiga-12 with 2 3/4" slugs

Thoughts/review?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
They're down to the chimp being unaccounted for.  Good luck finding it before the snow falls and it succumbs to the cold.

Old rumors say there are spots in Florida where feral chimps be.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
*pauses to appraise his collection of firearms* You know, I always considered myself ready for any north American game, dangerous or otherwise, but this makes me wonder if have anything sufficient for African/Asian dangerous game.

My best choices currently in the safe:
Howa-1500 in .300 WinMag
M1 Garand and M1903 in .30-06
M1A in .308 Win
Saiga-12 with 2 3/4" slugs

Thoughts/review?

Out of those, the .300 WinMag and the Saiga-12 would be your best bet.  You want big, heavy slugs, preferably going real fast.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »
This has some sort of wacko peta group written all over it.
The article said the cages/pens were all damaged that way the animals could not be put back in.
If this guy was nuts and going to let the animals loose and off himself why would you bother to damage all the cages?
I don't think the peta people thought the cops would kill them all. Plan went bad.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zahc

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »
This is a short drive from my old home in Ohio. I'm familiar with the park, although I never went there; it's about 20 minutes from my alma mater.

The first thing I thought was that enviroterrorists set the animals loose. When I heard the guy was dead, I assumed the enviroterrorists killed him. When I heard he committed suicide, I assumed the environterrorists set it up to look that way.

It is telling that the dude was a felon and all, but that could just have made for a more attractive setup. Don't deny me my anti-enviroterrorist fantasies.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Lee

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
This was less than a mile from my friend's place where I hunt.  He's known him for years -and considered him a good neighbor, and generally a good guy, who succumbed to stress and depression. He was a veteran, a pilot (planes and helos), an avid motorcycle bulder, collector and rider, he raced boats, and was a decent guitarist.  Evidently he was a gun tinkerer as well...which led to all of this. Too bad he'll just be remembered as a lunatic.
I've known about his place for years, and always wanted to carry a magnum revolver when bow hunting down there...but never did, since Ohio laws forbids that.
Several years ago, there was a few days of panic on the norteast side of Columbus when a lioness was seen by several people (a few miles from my house).  This guy was the first person I thought about back then.  It was eventually dismissed as a semi-mass halucination or joke...but I really wonder...still. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
They're down to the chimp being unaccounted for.  Good luck finding it before the snow falls and it succumbs to the cold.

Old rumors say there are spots in Florida where feral chimps be.

stay safe.

I heard a report they thought a tiger ate the chimp.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Lee

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »
That' s what I heard also.  He wuz wearin the wrong colors.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 11:14:34 PM »
This makes me think.  I no longer have anything larger than .223 and 12 gauge.  Hmmm.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2011, 03:45:31 AM »
A 12 gauge with saboted slugs is nothing to sneeze at.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2011, 04:12:00 AM »
A 12 gauge with saboted slugs is nothing to sneeze at.
It's counter-intuitive but remember, it's sabot slugs for rifled shotgun barrels, rifled slugs for smooth bore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »
UPDATE:

Apparently, all that is left roaming the countryside is a timber wolf and a chimpanzee.  So all you wanna be big cat hunters, the opportunity has passed.

And, as you may expect, the locals animal huggers are already in an uproar over the fact that responding officers apparently dropped a lot of the animals, including a bengal tiger.

My bailiff is kind of pissed.  He was hoping to come across a panther this deer season.   ;)
Wouldn't a panther be more like to end up in the tree or deer stand with him?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »
So - the cops killed all the animals including the wolf to protect the public, but those of us in western states are supposed to live with hundreds of wolves running around and think nothing of it  ???

;/

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
So - the cops killed all the animals including the wolf to protect the public, but those of us in western states are supposed to live with hundreds of wolves running around and think nothing of it  ???

;/

:mad:
Of course!
We are more sophisticated here, and should not be expected to actually interact with animals except for zoos!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
You laugh now...until you walk through a dark alley, and find a monkey there, waiting to attack you and infect you with herpes.
Also, I think "herpes" in this case might be a codeword for "Rage" [tinfoil] :O.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »
You laugh now...until you walk through a dark alley, and find a monkey there, waiting to attack you and infect you with herpes.
Also, I think "herpes" in this case might be a codeword for "Rage" [tinfoil] :O.

And on that note, I need to go start setting up the palisade fence around my bug-out location.  :laugh:

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
Most of you know how much I love animals.
This story makes me sad and mad.
No, I don't blame the police for what they had to do. They were protecting the public.
I'm mad at the animals' owner for letting them loose like that before killing himself.
I'm sad that most of the animals had to be killed, including 14 rare Bengal tigers (there's only about 1,400 left in the wild now).
What a waste all around.  :mad:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
Just got word from a friend of mine in Sunbury, OH that works at the Columbus Zoo. You've probably seen the pic with the animals piled in front of the barn. They were not moved from where they were shot. Apparently they were waiting there to be let back in to their cages. I don't have a problem with hunting down the predators that took off for parts unknown, but they could have waited 5 minutes for zoo personnel before starting the turkey shoot.  =(
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?