Author Topic: wow just wow  (Read 2863 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
wow just wow
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:38:55 AM »
2 year old hit by 2 vehicles minutes apart and 18 people just walk by as she lies there bleeding

http://www.bangstyle.com/2011/10/two-year-old-run-over-twice-18-people-ignore-her-as-she-bleeds/
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: wow just wow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
Two words...

Kitty Genovese
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:04:37 AM »
Two words...

Kitty Genovese

Two more words:

Urban Legend.

(No, not as in she didn't die. As in the neighbors all knew exactly what was going on and ignored it.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
Also, I read somewhere that the driver was quoted as saying it would only cost him $1500 if she died and he'd have to pay far more if she lived. (I also read recently conflicting reports, so I'm not taking that as fact.)

HAD anyone said that about my little girl, he wouldn't even have to worry about paying the $1500.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:37:10 AM »
i heard a similar story about mexican bus drivers hitting folks  the van driver got her with the front wheels  stopped then started again and got her with rear wheels.  he and i would have issues
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
Two more words:

Urban Legend.

(No, not as in she didn't die. As in the neighbors all knew exactly what was going on and ignored it.)

Part urban legend, part not urban legend. It wasn't as callous as portrayed in the New York Times or by some later writers on the subject, but it was still a marked display of indifference by a significant number of people.

But, even if it were a complete and total fabrication, it would still be applicable as a comparator to this incident in China. Why? Because people understand the Kitty Genovese incident to be one of gross societal indifference, and that was certainly the case in what happened in China.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »

Part urban legend, part not urban legend. It wasn't as callous as portrayed in the New York Times or by some later writers on the subject, but it was still a marked display of indifference by a significant number of people.

But, even if it were a complete and total fabrication, it would still be applicable as a comparator to this incident in China. Why? Because people understand the Kitty Genovese incident to be one of gross societal indifference, and that was certainly the case in what happened in China.

Very true. Many of the articles paint this as a massive shock (or maybe just embarrassment) to the Chinese. Maybe some reform and protection of good samaritans will come of this. I can only hope something good will arise from this horrible evil.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
I'm a New Yorker & remember the Kitty Genovese thing, even though I was young.
The problem was everyone else thought someone else would call the police or run to the rescue. One famous response was they didn't want to interrupt their Monopoly game. 

However, sometimes the whole neighborhood gets involved - one time a guy knocked an old lady down & grabbed her purse, he had to be rescued by the cops.

Good Samaritans in China have lost big time in court is what I've heard, plus its a totally different culture, I cant remember exactly but a study once reported that being injured is like "losing face" ( over there ) & by stopping to help you're causing them embarrassment.

I was riding my bike in Manhattan ( seems like a generation ago ) & saw a young lady take a bad spill, she was Chinese, her friends just stood there and laughed but it was a nervous/embarrassed laugh ... I yelled at them, horrified and helped her up her knee was busted open pretty bad & she was in a good deal of pain. After I helped her up though she didn't want any help & seemed embarrassed ...

Just a different culture, I lived in China town SF, I was getting on a bus when I saw an old Chinese lady struggling to get on board so I moved & held the door for her and a Chinese guy in his thirties practically knocked her over to get on in front of her.
I was thinking about punching him in the face but that was in the old days when I carried without a permit & could not attract much police attention.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:04:33 PM »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:42:25 PM »
I've seen the video on tv.

Inside a market hall a van driver knocks down a child with the front bumper at snails pace and runs her over with his right front wheel and stops for a bit. He then continues to drive for the afore mentioned reasons, the girl at the first roll-over still moves but doesn't any more after she's got under the rear tire. People (with children) pass by and move on. One lady is dragging the child to the side so she won't be in the middle of the markethall anymore. Like you'd get an obstacle out of the way. Only then comes the mother and picks up the motionless not yet dead child.

I hope I'm not racist because I don't think I've seen any human beings, the victim aside, in that video.

And no, Kitty Genovese fits nowhere in this picture.

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »
it seems as if no one in the vid has any clue on keeping a trauma victim immobile until rescue comes.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 11:33:33 PM »
Rescue does not come in China.  You are picked up and trotted off to the hurtspital.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.