Author Topic: Skydiving  (Read 7230 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Skydiving
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
Going skydiving this morning.

Wish me luck and a soft bounce!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Skydiving
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 10:00:16 AM »
Why anyone in their right mind would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft is beyond me.

Oh wait a minute, I have done that only without a parachute but a rope. :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
One of the things I'll never ever try.  Not to freak you out, but I've seen more than a few skydiving accidents in my ATC time.  Good luck, good openings!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
I loved my civilian skydiving.  If you find things like bungee-jumping and roller-coasters fun, then skydiving is awesome.  Don't forget to pull the little handle though.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »

CCW  ???

=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Uncle Sam paid me for every jump.  The only way I'd do it again is if someone offered up serious $$$$ and a life insurance policy/bond.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:36:48 AM »
Skydiving is fun!  I enjoyed the under-canopy time more than the free fall.

Are you doing free-fall or static line?  Tandem or solo via AFF?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
Why anyone in their right mind would jump out of a perfectly good aircraft is beyond me.

Oh wait a minute, I have done that only without a parachute but a rope. :laugh:

When did they start making perfectly good airplanes?

14 .mil jumps  1 civ jump.  Now my feet, knees and hips hurt too much.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 11:56:21 AM »
I'd rather use my 1 hour of flight time (no professional instruction) and crash the plane myself.

Death is just nature's way of telling you to watch your airspeed.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »

Speak to Avenger.  I believe he could recommend a tandem partner who would provide a very soft bounce.   ;/

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 02:59:17 PM »
Speak to Avenger.  I believe he could recommend a tandem partner who would provide a very soft bounce.

You'd have to use a cargo chute, though.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »

For me its my person Gom jabbar.  I have a problem with high places beyond the 2nd floor.  Even just watching programs about people rock climbing or driving over the Peruvian death roads makes me very uncomfortable.

Using my reason to control the screaming monkey inside and overcome the phobia was a personal milestone for me.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
Who wants to hear some horror stories?
 >:D
I was at Laguna AAF when the golden knights whacked into each other.  
Spent just over 3 months supporting the golden knights, as well as the HALO and other parachute schools there.  Seen several auger in, personally witnessed 1 fatality during that det.
When I was in Salt Lake, tandem jumper smacked into the side of a building.  Lucky for the qualified skydiver, his passenger cushioned the impact.  She, however, died.
Airshow practice here friday before last....the guy with the American flag broke his leg.

Seems like great fun!!!!  :O
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
I'd rather jump out of a plane again than bungee jump or do one of those swings they have at the State fairs.....

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 03:55:33 PM »
I'd rather jump out of a plane again than bungee jump or do one of those swings they have at the State fairs.....

coming down in those swings isn't too bad.  the part where they haul you up is scary
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:50:30 PM »

I haven't been party to any accidents at state fairs.  But I've certainly worked plenty of lifeflight helos to the scenes of skydiving accidents.
JD

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 04:57:19 PM »
I haven't been party to any accidents at state fairs.  But I've certainly worked plenty of lifeflight helos to the scenes of skydiving accidents.

How many plane crashes?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
How many plane crashes?

I've been a part of plenty of those, too.  And most of them involved either .mil aircraft, or general aviaiton guys doing something stupid. 
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
I've been a part of plenty of those, too.  And most of them involved either .mil aircraft, or general aviaiton guys doing something stupid. 

You've been involved in all sorts of aviation mishaps.  Are you sure you should go back to work pushing tin?  :police:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
You've been involved in all sorts of aviation mishaps.  Are you sure you should go back to work pushing tin?  :police:

....  >:D

I've been cleared of all wrong doing!

The ones in the .mil were the best.....19 year old Marines working on 20 million dollar aircraft piloted by 22 year old marines.  What could go wrong?!?
JD

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 08:06:45 PM »
For me its my person Gom jabbar.  I have a problem with high places beyond the 2nd floor.  Even just watching programs about people rock climbing or driving over the Peruvian death roads makes me very uncomfortable.

Using my reason to control the screaming monkey inside and overcome the phobia was a personal milestone for me.

Here's one for ya. I'm a pilot. And I live on top of a mountain. But I'm scared of heights.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 08:08:45 PM »
I'm back.  You can all release your collective inhaled breaths.

I liked the freefall.

I didn't like the canopy time.  

I jumped tandem.  So I guess I was just baggage.  But, it was... crazy.

I will remember that square piece of sky from inside the plane for the rest of my life, I'm sure.  The "WTF?" moment of actually losing a surface under me and tumbling out of the plane.  

I think I didn't like the canopy time because the guy would turn hard and I felt off balance and out of control.  It's like being in a sports car on a twisty road... as a passenger.  I was nowhere near spewing chunks or anything, but I didn't enjoy the parachute, aside from the fact that it stopped me from pancaking against the ground and for that I am thankful.

I'm not going to take it up as a hobby.  New chutes run around $8,000 or so.  I saw a used one for sale with a 500-jump log, for $1000/o.b.o.  I don't think I'll be buying that one, and I'd worry about someone who did.  Assuming a $1000 chute is questionable in quality, it shouldn't be jumped in.  And an $8000 chute that depreciates over a period of 500 jumps to $1000 loses about $14 in value each jump.  Then maintenance costs on the chute, lift costs in the plane per jump, instruction.... It's a hobby that makes High Power and Three Gun look downright cheap.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
I have a fear of heights, well not so much heights but the hitting the ground if i fall part. I've always been able to function at the top of a ladder or rigged aloft to work on a mast when I have to but I don't freaking like it.

Decided to give bungee jumping a try to see if that would maybe take some of the edge off. 180' from a crane basket. Might have even worked to knock the edge off my fear of heights except the guy that went after me, they managed to smack him into the ground. Kind of ruined the whole experience for me. I never did here what happened to the guy they bounced off the ground but the last I saw of him he was hanging in the harness convulsing.
I have video of it. I've used it to convince a few people out of bungee jumping.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
I got to do a tandem jump in college.  Jumped from 14,000ft and got close to a minute of free fall.  Got to fall through a cloud too.  Hard to breathe inside a cloud.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
New chutes run around $8,000 or so.  I saw a used one for sale with a 500-jump log, for $1000/o.b.o. 

You might find a good deal on an almost new one: only used once, never opened.   =D

Horseback is plenty high for me.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin