Author Topic: Google asked to remove 135 YouTube videos for 'UK national security issues'  (Read 996 times)

Blakenzy

• friend
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/25/google-youtube-national-security

And the same for the US:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/oct/25/google-transparency-report-released

I wonder what exactly was in those videos. I'm guessing it has to do with civil unrest and police actions.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
thats odd i read in the linked atricle that they refused to pull the vids showing police brutality
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
thats odd i read in the linked atricle that they refused to pull the vids showing police brutality

From first article:

Google said it fully or partially complied with 82% of requests from the UK government, police and courts.

from second article:

The technology giant's biannual transparency report shows that Google refused the demands from the unnamed authority in the first half of this year.

According to the report, Google separately declined orders by other police authorities to remove videos that allegedly defamed law enforcement officials.

I'd be interested in how often and under what circumstances Google told .gov to pound sand.  I wonder too if the laws for this stuff are more lenient here then in GB.

I also worry a little that Google might achieve their stated goal of "modernize laws like the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, which regulates government access to user information" but not in the fashion they, or we, would prefer.

longeyes

• friend
Probably the videos of the signs telling Brits to get out of their own country, "Death to the U.K.," that sort of thing...and the cops standing around waiting for Cameron to tell them what to do next.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I think this is the golden age of info, probably in the future it will revert to .gov sanctioned info like in the sixties with only three networks, they will turn the net over to the U.N & that will be that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."