Author Topic: Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves  (Read 10043 times)

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Don't get mace. Get a firearm.
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
Hope that statement doesn't come back to haunt you in court.
As do it.

I also hope that if he chooses to reword it, your quoting it won't come back to haunt him
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
History has changed.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:13:42 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »
I changed it but still stand by it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 07:31:07 PM »
My only gripe with what the good sheriff said is from this:
, "They make this right here where you can conceal a small pistol in them. They got one called The Judge that shoots a .45 or a .410 shell. You ain't got to be accurate; you just have to get close."

YGBSM

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
My only gripe with what the good sheriff said is from this:

Bad advice to recommend a Judge.
Bad advice to downplay the importance of accuracy, especially when you are completely responsible for each projectile.

But it's also the exact same "advice" you'll get by walking into any gunstore unless the guys behind the counter are switched on/halfway intelligent.

A quality handgun and a quality holster and belt are a proven CCW combo that you can rely on.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 08:26:34 AM »
Bad advice to downplay the importance of accuracy, especially when you are completely responsible for each projectile.

But it's also the exact same "advice" you'll get by walking into any gunstore unless the guys behind the counter are switched on/halfway intelligent.

A quality handgun and a quality holster and belt are a proven CCW combo that you can rely on.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you made me think of something I want to share.

I wonder what the probability of an attacker being shot at and missed and continuing an attack is, vs. the probability that a person will choose not to carry, thinking that they would be unable to hit anyway.

We know from statistics that 95% of self defense cases do not involve the gun being fired. . . of the 5% remaining, how common would it be for an attacker to actually be fired upon, miss, and continue the attack (without being hit or losing his nerve from subsequent shots).  I know from anecdotal evidence that many people, and a lot of them are women, choose not to carry because they don't think they can make shots.  Take that woman and imagine her in a life-or-death situation.  If you can put a gun in her purse by telling her that it's ok to miss, aren't you at least 95% right?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:34 AM »
I'm not disagreeing with you, but you made me think of something I want to share.

I wonder what the probability of an attacker being shot at and missed and continuing an attack is, vs. the probability that a person will choose not to carry, thinking that they would be unable to hit anyway.

We know from statistics that 95% of self defense cases do not involve the gun being fired. . . of the 5% remaining, how common would it be for an attacker to actually be fired upon, miss, and continue the attack (without being hit or losing his nerve from subsequent shots).  I know from anecdotal evidence that many people, and a lot of them are women, choose not to carry because they don't think they can make shots.  Take that woman and imagine her in a life-or-death situation.  If you can put a gun in her purse by telling her that it's ok to miss, aren't you at least 95% right?

Depends. Drug addicts and drunks don't always make the smartest decisions.  An aggressive biker on PCP in a parking lot who you just cut off might not be scared of being shot.  Being missed might just piss him off more.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
Depends. Drug addicts and drunks don't always make the smartest decisions.  An aggressive biker on PCP in a parking lot who you just cut off might not be scared of being shot.  Being missed might just piss him off more.

True, but he was going to F you up anyway.  Gun or not.  I think Cacher's got a point.  In the majority of defense situations (maybe even a vast majority) simply unloading a round will stop the attack.  In the few that it won't, being unarmed is very unlikely to stop the attack.  So given that dynamic, if a person chooses to carry a gun they don't think needs much training, when the alternative is nothing at all, is probably better off.  Also if this is your SD plan, a big honking revolver with a lot of noise and muzzle flash is actually a pretty decent choice.

Note: I'm not endorsing that as a GREAT plan, and it is kinda hard on bystanders, but to paraphrase THR: a Judge in your purse is better then an STI in the gunstore.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »

Okay, put it this way.

If *just displaying the gun or firing a warning shot* will stop 95% of violent assaults it seems to be that carrying is a good idea EVEN if you end up messing up the other 5%.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
I prefer to stop any attackers in their tracks.

And being that drugs are one of our biggest problems down here, likely that the attacker is hopped up on PCP or bath salts, so I very much want the capability to dump 17 rds of Speer Gold Dot 124grn +P in them and the abillity to reload quickly. The hardened criminals down here aren't afraid of weapons.

The three habits of highly successful CCWers: 1) Get licensed 2) Buy a quality gun and rig, and carry it constantly 3) train, train, train!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »

Hence my 2" .357 with full power loads.  Anywhere in the bright place is going to hurt.  A lot.  Trust me; it will teach you to keep your flashlight hand well behind the cylinder gap too.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 08:58:46 PM »
^^^^ I have done this very thing with my 2.25" SP-101s and 158 grain .357 JHPs.  I was dazzled for a minute or so.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »

Maybe that's why he recommended a Judge.  If you miss with a shotshell, you're not nearly as likely to maim an innocent bystander.  (I'd rather be accurate with something effective)
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 09:52:09 PM »
Hence my 2" .357 with full power loads.  Anywhere in the bright place is going to hurt.  A lot.  Trust me; it will teach you to keep your flashlight hand well behind the cylinder gap too.

I've shot .357 through my snub.  Two cylinder's worth, out of 1500-ish rounds through it.  It hurts from behind too.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 12:47:01 AM »

Ouch ....if you shoot a BG at night your first shot better connect 'cause you'll be flash-blinded for a half hour after that!!! :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
Maybe that's why he recommended a Judge.  If you miss with a shotshell, you're not nearly as likely to maim an innocent bystander.  (I'd rather be accurate with something effective)

I would hope that he was thinking it through, but in my experiences working in the Crim. Justice system, the higher up the chain you go, the less likely you will find a person with good firearms knowledge.  there are exceptions, of course, but it has been my experience that by the time you get up the brass line to Sheriff, the guy (or gal) can shoot a handgun well enough to qualify with it, and that may be it.

That said, I still applaud the man for speaking from the heart instead of speaking in politically correct politico crap aimed more at keeping him elected than saying something useful.  He'd probably get my vote for that alone.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 09:39:19 AM »
I've shot .357 through my snub.  Two cylinder's worth, out of 1500-ish rounds through it.  It hurts from behind too.

:laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 09:07:59 PM »
The Sheriff is interviewing on Fox right now, making an excellent case for bearing arms.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »
The Sheriff is interviewing on Fox right now, making an excellent case for bearing arms.

But it's on FOX, so it's all lies.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife