Author Topic: Fricking LASER  (Read 4753 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Fricking LASER
« on: October 31, 2011, 06:43:35 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8857154/Worlds-most-powerful-laser-to-tear-apart-the-vacuum-of-space.html

Under the theory that even a vacuum is populated with "ghost particles" that hop trans-dimensionally, scientists want to make a laser that is more powerful at its focal point than the core of the Sun.  And they want to smite these particles and cause them to disassociate into smaller particles in the hopes that they can then detect them.

Newton's Laws concern me in regards to this.
-For every action, there is an equal and opposing reaction.

If these particles "hop" transdimensionally, then there is already an energy source fascilitating this transdimensional hop.  And that energy source is depleted and extinguished when the particle enters our dimension and then immediately leaves.

Destroying the particle before it leaves... robs the reaction of the sum of energy and mass that result in a 0 energy/mass final result in our Universe.  And leaves a door open... somewhere.

Makes me think of uncontrolled/spontaneously opened interdimensional portals.  And head crabs.

More mundanely, I wonder with my non-physics-trained noggin, if this transdimensional vacuum particle portal they seek isn't really the equivalent of a black hole's digestive tract, and the little particles are kind of like gas.  Halting the reaction that is supposedly happening might overpressurize a black hole somewhere and cause it to go nova.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

birdman

• friend
Re: Fricking LASER
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:52:55 PM »
The energy needed to make the virtual particle real (it's mass) is taken from the laser beam, so no net energy creation.  This process is the same thing that causes black holes to evaporate if not fed...it's called hawking radiation.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
The energy needed to make the virtual particle real (it's mass) is taken from the laser beam, so no net energy creation.  This process is the same thing that causes black holes to evaporate if not fed...it's called hawking radiation.

I ain't buyin'  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »
Nor am I, Tallpine. Hawking has no street cred.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:37:59 PM »
I'm not so sure I want to deal with transdimensional sharks with frickin' laser beams....  [tinfoil]
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
So how do they get all the sharks to aim their lasers at one tiny spot in a vacuum?  For one thing, sharks have to swim to breath so they can't keep it that steady.  For another, vacuums aren't going to work well underwater anyway. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »
Suppose... two swallows carried it, together?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

If we could produce a quantum singularity, a "Hawking Bomb" would be AWESOME!

At least if you weren't standing on the molten half of the Earth, that is...  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »
At least if you weren't standing on the molten half of the Earth, that is...  :angel:

Not that standing on the unmolten half would be any better.... =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
Not that standing on the unmolten half would be any better.... =|

Yeah, the shockwave from the "wind", (mostly supersonic steam from the oceans on that side of the globe) would pretty much atomize you.  =D

It would be a good star system 'cleaning' machine pre-colonization too. The gamma ray flux of all the virtual particles becoming real would be enough to sterilize most all complex life in a star system from a few AU away. No messy kinetics, or wasteful ground invasions.

And you could re-use the thing too, if you could turn the "feeder" particle accelerators back on before it went exponentially runaway/critical as it's mass goes down, and the event horizon cuts off an ever greater number of virtual particle/antiparticle pairs.
I promise not to duck.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
I suppose "prepare for unforeseen consequences" has really taken on new meaning, hasn't it?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
I suppose "prepare for unforeseen consequences" has really taken on new meaning, hasn't it?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:45:19 PM »
What was the plot in Half Life?  Been forever since I've played it.  What experiment were they working on when they made their "oops?"
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 11:45:07 PM »
What was the plot in Half Life?  Been forever since I've played it.  What experiment were they working on when they made their "oops?"

They were working on teleportation.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

You start the game scanning some interesting "sample" with some kind of super scanner which results in interesting effects...
Look, tiny text!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:46 PM »
"EU physicists building world's largest laser. Biggest hurdle: keeping world's largest herd of cats from constantly pouncing on it."
             - Fred Thompson
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
"EU physicists building world's largest laser. Biggest hurdle: keeping world's largest herd of cats from constantly pouncing on it."
             - Fred Thompson

Not really.

Herd of cats is vaporized instantaneously.  Dogs rejoice.

fap.

>:D
--Lysander Spooner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
Not really.

Herd of cats is vaporized instantaneously.  Dogs rejoice.

fap.

>:D
Is that supposed to be a motivational poster?