Author Topic: Raising rabbits for food  (Read 10366 times)

zahc

• friend
Raising rabbits for food
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
Since I moved to the city, I never hunt or even fish anymore, and my bloodlust and carnivorous instinct has been left unsatisfied. There are lots of squirrels to poach, but I'm a law abiding man. Does anyone raise rabbits for meat? I used to hunt rabbits so I know they taste good and have several traditional dishes with them. My grandpa on my mother's side used to raise rabbits for meat. I'm just not sure if its worth the investment or not.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Raising babies for food
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:32 PM »
I have nothing to add. And I apologize the very first response is OT.  :facepalm:

What I do have to say is it's AMAZING how SPOILED I've been by LCD displays. I'm currently on one of our hand-me-down/salvage PC's my daughters use, that actually has a 17" CRT monitor.

I initially read the thread as "Raising babies for food".  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

Jim147

• friends
Re: Raising rabbits for food
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:29:59 PM »
Must be something we're drinking. I thought I read the same thing.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
As with so much else, Michael Moore has all the answers.  Look up the bunny lady of Flint (Rhonda Britton) and watch 'Pets or Meat', a short sequel to 'Roger and Me'.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:43:46 PM »
Wild rabbit and domestic rabbit are very different table fare. I like wild rabbit but don't much care for domestic. Sort of like the difference between wild venison and beef.
But, rabbits are a very efficient source of protien to raise on a small scale.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
I love to eat domesticated rabbit, I use it like chicken in dishes. I wish I could find a local source of Californian rabbits.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 12:07:04 AM »
Just don't give them to your kids for Easter, make them care for them, and then slaughter and serve them up for dinner.  My step-mom still hasn't forgotten that parenting FAIL perpetrated by her dad.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
Well that's pretty F'd up! My 4 year old is still trying to come to grips with death, I can see the wheels turning. She knows beef comes from cows and pre-school has socialized her to know to shoot bucks, and we caught a couple of fish at the hatchery she got to see get cleaned. However, I think she sees death as a temporary thing which on a plane way above her or me it may be, but in the here and now she's conflicted. Wanted to put the fish back, but made me keep them when I started to. Possession outweighs 4 yr old version of compassion for now. I'm trying to take it easy on her and let her figure these things out on her own schedule.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »
My 4 yo grand daughter knows that pigs are made of bacon and ham. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 02:33:36 AM »
Must be something we're drinking. I thought I read the same thing.

Me too, and I thought it sounded like a modest proposal.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
A book I recently received from a friend, "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" 10th Edition, by Carla Emery, addresses raising rabbits for food on pgs 831 - 844, everything from acquiring stock to breeding to butchering to recipes and anything you can think of in between.

This is an excellent book for MANY things.

I have to say though, it doesn't address raising babies for food.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
A book I recently received from a friend, "The Encyclopedia of Country Living" 10th Edition, by Carla Emery, addresses raising rabbits for food on pgs 831 - 844, everything from acquiring stock to breeding to butchering to recipes and anything you can think of in between.

This is an excellent book for MANY things.

I have to say though, it doesn't address raising babies for food.

It's in the Scottish edition.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
It's in the Scottish Republican edition.

FTFY =D

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »
It's in the Scottish edition.

Accuracy compels me to point out that Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal was set in Ireland.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
I remember reading some sort of survival info that if your protein intake consists mainly of wild rabbit, you might still suffer malnutrition of some sort?

Too little fat or something?  ???

Ah. NVM, here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Might not apply to domesticated rabbit, they may have a higher fat content. So if you're stuck in the wild, be sure to eat some cattail roots or whatever for those carbs too.  =D
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
What started all this is chickens. Although I live in town, my neighbor has several chickens in their back yard. They don't bother me but my wife wants chickens of her own now after watching the neighbor's chickens. The benefit of chickens is that you might get eggs, but I would have to turn over my whole back yard to the chickens and let them roam. By contrast rabbits can be kept in a cage with a relatively small footprint.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Raising babies for food
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:28 AM »

I initially read the thread as "Raising babies for food".  :laugh:

Go see an optometrist. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »
What started all this is chickens. Although I live in town, my neighbor has several chickens in their back yard. They don't bother me but my wife wants chickens of her own now after watching the neighbor's chickens. The benefit of chickens is that you might get eggs, but I would have to turn over my whole back yard to the chickens and let them roam. By contrast rabbits can be kept in a cage with a relatively small footprint.

What about making a chicken tractor?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:44 AM »
What started all this is chickens. 

Sig line material.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 09:39:03 AM »

The chickens will pretty much tear up your yard.  Ours free range during the day on 40 acres and the area out past the coop is scratched down to the dirt.  But they have left the lawn in peace.  The good side is lots of eggs and no grasshoppers around the house.

As far as small meat animals, how are you going to slaughter them (in town) ?

I'm fine with shooting something but not very good about chopping off heads and bludgeoning, etc :(

The young roosters that we have butchered were very good though, and I don't even care that much for chicken.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »
I'm fine with shooting something but not very good about chopping off heads and bludgeoning, etc :(

How do you kill your chickens?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »
How do you kill your chickens?

Choke them? :laugh:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »

As far as small meat animals, how are you going to slaughter them (in town) ?

Simple rabbit punch should do it.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Choke them? :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Spoken like a man who's been deployed too long...
 =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Spoken like a man who's been deployed too long...
 =D

In the sandbox since July.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!