Author Topic: Raising rabbits for food  (Read 10367 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Raising rabbits for food
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 10:40:02 AM »
As far as small meat animals, how are you going to slaughter them (in town) ?

My grandpa just broke their necks. I'm pretty sure that would work in town as well as anywhere else.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
Accuracy compels me to point out that Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal was set in Ireland.

Yes, yes, and a fine policy it would have been, but not germane to my point.

"The other, other white meat."

"I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back baby back ribs. *Chili's* Baby back ribs."

"I'm bigger than you and higher up the food chain. Get in my belly."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 11:39:13 AM »
In the sandbox since July.

Which brings this thread straight to goats!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
Gah!! I'll try to get this thread back on the rails...

Rabbits are very efficient at turning money into meat - at least as good as chickens. And, as you said, are better in confinement.

What we found is that the females (surprise!) are a bit cleaner than males. The males tend to urinate everywhere - spraying on walls other cages, etc. Their urine stinks badly after a time.

When it came time to butcher them, I took a large knife - think wide-blade butcher knife - and simply whacked them on the back of the head, at the base of the skull. Hang 'em up by a back leg, skin, eviscerate and you're done.

I also found that cutting them into pieces before freezing took up much less space. One of my wife's brothers goes so far as to debone them, keeping only the meat.

Domestic bunnies are yummy! I don't eat wild cottontails - to mane parasites for my liking.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 03:27:08 PM »
How do you kill your chickens?

Chop off the heads with a sharp axe, while holding both feet with my left hand and the neck lying on a big block of wood.

Mostly they are pretty calm once you have them head down, except we had one mean rooster that would bend up and peck your hand.  But after the head comes off they flop around and splatter blood everywhere :(

We tried breaking necks but couldn't get it to work.

The last two mean roosters had gotten pretty old, so I just shot them and threw them on the burn pile.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Lee

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
Not a bad idea to raise rabbits.  I bought a farm raised one last year at a trendy market here...it was close to $25...my kids wouldn't even look at it, and were disgusted with my eating it.  Not as good as a freshly killed wild one to me though.   

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 09:12:04 PM »
We tried breaking necks but couldn't get it to work.

:laugh:
There is a whole other story in there somewhere.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
  But after the head comes off they flop around and splatter blood everywhere :(

So, it is true what they say about a chicken with its head cut off....

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
So, it is true what they say about a chicken with its head cut off....

be careful, if a headless chicken bites you - you become one!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 01:42:16 AM »
Chickens seem so much harder because of the feather factor. I have heard so many different ways to deal with the feathers (mechanical pluckers, scalding water, dipping them in wax...) that I assume it must be an inherently annoying job.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
Chickens seem so much harder because of the feather factor. I have heard so many different ways to deal with the feathers (mechanical pluckers, scalding water, dipping them in wax...) that I assume it must be an inherently annoying job.

Used to be part of the great chicken round up at my grandfathers, his chickens for the most part were free range on his acreage. So we would just grab chickens, twist their heads off and skin them. The chickens were washed, quartered and frozen. Eventually the last 2-3 chickens got smart to what had happened to the other 75-80 of their brethren so it was my job to go hunt the rest with a shotgun. My grandfather owned a lot of firearms but my shotgun of choice was a 97 Winchester.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »

We just skin them, which is a task which I have yet to figure out how to do efficiently  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2011, 11:47:12 AM »
you should try offing a gobbler with an axe

the blood fountain and wing powered hurricane are entertaining

Many State farming co-ops have rabbit raising guides

water lick valving from a 5 gallon bucket is a good way to keep them healthy

http://bunnyrabbit.com/price/information/EdstromWaterSystemInstall.htm
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 02:37:14 PM »
I also have nothing to ad to this except to say that the other people in this restaurant, whose Wi-fi I'm stealing, are all looking at me funny as I try to muffle my laughter.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »
I raised show rabbits when I was a kid, some fifty years ago.  I was successful at it too, winning Grand Champion at both the County Fair and the State Fair in my second year.   I still have my own ideas about brooding pens, buck pens, nest boxes, and meat pens.  Lots of room, with wooden floors to walk on and chicken wire in the back where they defecate, so it drops through.

I raised Silver Martens and White New Zealands.  I would sell my non-show-worthy New Zealands to a local slaughterhouse to pay for rabbit pellets and hay.

Most of my secret to success, other than the hutches, was in the diet.  Rabbits need a supply of pellets at all times, plenty of fresh water, and a handful of leafy alfalfa hay every day.  Fourth cutting works great.

somebody above mentioned Californians.  Back then the large breeds like Californians and Checkered Giants were considered to lanky and bony to be good meat rabbits.  More compact and plump breeds like my New Zealands were preferred, plus I got an extra dollar from the slaughterhouse because the white skins were saleable.

I did this in the early sixties, and I got $3 each for meat rabbits, plus the above mentioned dollar for the white ones.  Hay was about $1.50 a bale and I think pellets were about $3/fifty pounds.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
somebody above mentioned Californians. 

That was me, the Californians I used to buy were about six pounds dressed out and barely fit in a 1 gallon freezer bag. The last one I bought was in 2002 and they went for $4 each and for an extra $1 they would dress them for me. I always paid the extra $1. The was a local farmer and his teenage son raised the rabbits for spending $. These rabbits were as plump as a frying chicken.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:10:00 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
The males tend to urinate everywhere - spraying on walls other cages, etc. Their urine stinks badly after a time.

It's a guy thing
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
Does anyone remember that show where they fed the rabbit bacon and it grew to around fifty pounds?

Guinea pigs do well for space to meat also. The bacon slabs are pretty small. Even smaller then ground hog.  ???

I just don't get it sometimes. If you're going to call it pig or hog, it should taste like bacon.  =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG