Author Topic: GFCI Fail  (Read 7943 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
GFCI Fail
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
GFCI Fail

Before Cub Scout Pack Meeting and Board of Trustees Meeting:
"What's that smell?  It smells very faintly like burning electrical components, but I can't locate it."

Near microwave: <sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff>
Near Outlet: <sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff>
Near oven: <sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff>
Near coffee maker: <sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff>
Trying to catch a waft of it again: <sniff, sniff, sniff>

<grumble, grumble>

"Probably slopped some coffee down the side of the carafe and it burned up in the hotplate"

After we return home:
"Holy mackerel, it is the GFCI outlet.  I am going to get a flashlight & flip the breaker."

Nothing like a good outlet change by flashlight.  Especially one that requires heat shrink tubing to re-insulate wires that have burned/blown off their original insulation.  And making pigtails so that every amp drawn through the circuit doesn't have to flow through the outlet.

FTR, I changed the GFCI out for a standard outlet.

Photos in-wall by flashlight:

After changing it out:

HOT WIRE, indeed.

Happy, neutral side:

Face: "Nothing going on here, no sirree!  The smell?  What smell, ossifer?"

Awfully glad we all didn't die in a fire at 0dark30.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: GFCI Fail
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 12:05:23 AM »
Wow.  That is truly frightening.

:O

I'm glad that you and yours are okay.  Maybe time to look at the other outlets in the house?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »
Never seen that before.
I see they have 2 sets of wires connected to the line side of the gfci. Any idea where the other wires go?
By connecting it like that the down stream outlet is NOT protected. Bad juju if its in the kitchen.
Do you usually plug something into that outlet? If so check the prongs on the cord to see if they are cooked.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:28:34 AM »
Oh, and happy gfci green light was green

No cooked prongs on toaster or coffee maker.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:34:45 AM »
Wow.  That is truly frightening.

:O

I'm glad that you and yours are okay.  Maybe time to look at the other outlets in the house?

Good idea.  Not the first outlet I came across with no pigtails.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
It looks like it may have failed at the "ram and jam" push-fit connectors on the outlet. I've been warned never to use those even though it's a million times easier (especially with the big fat GFCI outlets). Maybe that connection became high-resistance, and with no pigtails and the microwave running, it was enough to melt?

if you figure it takes 120W concentrated into that little spot to melt the plastic and the insulation, the connection only needs to develop 1 ohm of resistance in order to melt like that.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:29 AM »
Oh, and happy gfci green light was green. 

So you can reinstall it because its working just fine right? :P
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
It looks like it may have failed at the "ram and jam" push-fit connectors on the outlet. I've been warned never to use those even though it's a million times easier (especially with the big fat GFCI outlets).

I don't use those either, call em "backstabbers" cause you are stabbing the wire into the back of the receptacle, they stab you in the back later.

BUT, that's not what these are.  Some Leviton receptacles have a hole to put the wire in that comes down between a metal plate and a threaded square washer riding that screw.  You tighten down the screw head and the wire gets clamped quite securely between the plate and the washer.

Didn't seem to work as well in this instance, but it's not your typical backstab
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
I would mail it to the manufacturer
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
Those particular backwired outlets have clamps, like a breaker.  I bet the installer didn't tighten the screw.  I don't see any bite marks from the clamp on the burned-up copper wire.  (replacing the GFCI with a normal outlet was a bad idea -- especially if there were wires connected to the LOAD terminals)
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:10 AM »
That's almost as bad as your smoke alarm catching on fire ...  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
I don't use those either, call em "backstabbers" cause you are stabbing the wire into the back of the receptacle, they stab you in the back later.

BUT, that's not what these are.  Some Leviton receptacles have a hole to put the wire in that comes down between a metal plate and a threaded square washer riding that screw.  You tighten down the screw head and the wire gets clamped quite securely between the plate and the washer.

Didn't seem to work as well in this instance, but it's not your typical backstab

They have their downsides, OTOH, I find the backstabbers to be safer in certain circumstances, like when working in metal outlet boxes that have weird clearances or are a bit overstuffed with excess wire. The side connection screws have shorted out against the box on me now and then. Although this is in an older house with plaster and lathe construction.

I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »
They have their downsides, OTOH, I find the backstabbers to be safer in certain circumstances, like when working in metal outlet boxes that have weird clearances or are a bit overstuffed with excess wire. The side connection screws have shorted out against the box on me now and then. Although this is in an older house with plaster and lathe construction.

I finish off every outlet/switch I do with a wrap of electrical tape along the connection screws.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 12:11:08 PM »
The side connection screws have shorted out against the box on me now and then.

Do you remove the screws entirely, then? Because they are still there even if you use the backstab connections, though I guess they don't stick out quite as far.

I finish off every outlet/switch I do with a wrap of electrical tape along the connection screws.

I've never wired in metal outlet boxen but if I did, this sounds like a good idea.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »
Do you remove the screws entirely, then? Because they are still there even if you use the backstab connections, though I guess they don't stick out quite as far.

I've never wired in metal outlet boxen but if I did, this sounds like a good idea.

Maybe it's just cheap tape, or the old stuff from the 60's and 70's, but electrical tape more than a few weeks/months old to me always means "icky gooey mess" that necessitates replacement. If I were to do something like that, a loop of dry bike innertube stretched around the outlet body would be my choice.
I promise not to duck.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
That's almost as bad as your smoke alarm catching on fire ...  ;/
No joke - the one time a school I attended had a REAL fire, it was the fire alarm itself which had shorted out - I remember seeing the smoke damage around and above the alarm switch in the hall.  :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

I think I'm going to steal that idea.  At the very least I'll know what stuff I've worked on in my own house. :)

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
I think I'm going to steal that idea.  At the very least I'll know what stuff I've worked on in my own house. :)

As if the smoke wasn't a giveaway  =D
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
This was mentioned previously but needs emphasis.

GFCI outlets are designed and normally installed to protect items plugged in at that outlet, as well as downstream outlets on the circuit. Sounds like this is in a kitchen, normally you will have 1 or 2 GFCI outlets that each protect other counter top outlets on the same circuit. ALL the counter top outlets need to be protected. In this case, pigtailing is NOT the correct approach. Use the Line terminals for the incoming power and the Load terminals to feed the remaining outlets.

If you have any doubts you have it wired right, you can buy a 3-light outlet tester with a GFCI tester button. In any countertop outlet, when you push the test button on the tester, the lights should all go out, and the GFCI outlet should trip. Test the bathroom and outside outlets as well.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »
Unfortunately GFCIs are designed to trip on a ground fault (like dropping your hairdryer into the tub).  They are not, as many folks incorrectly presume, general overload protection.  You can have enough of a short to cause huge problems with the circuit but the GFCI won't do anything unless the problem is with the ground.  

You can create a lot of heat in a circuit without tripping a 15A breaker.  Plenty enough to cause a fire in short order.  If you want full protection on the circuit you go with an AFCI (arc fault circuit interruptor) type breaker.  They are required for kitchen and bedroom circuits now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
FTR, my house was built in 1959.  None of the original, non-fiddled-with outlets I have worked on had grounds.  If it is in anyway practical, I fix that, but not having a GFCI in a circuit that serves kitchen outlets...and rear bedroom fans and overhead lights...is pretty low on the list of What Currently Does Not Meet Code That I'd Like To Fix.  This outlet does have a ground, so it is beating the average.

When I get an extra couple thousand bucks, I'll have a real electrician move my Federal Pacific breaker box from the bedroom closet to the garage or back of the house, whilst replacing it with something shiny & new from GE or Square D.  Among other things, like running dedicated circuits to all the stuff that rates it.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
"Federal Pacific breaker box"

:O  :O  :O
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »
"Federal Pacific breaker box"

:O  :O  :O

Doesn't EVERYONE put a (battery powered) smoke detector in their closet?   ???

After I did that, I thought, "Why don't I put one in the physical closet, too?" where my gas water heater and gas furnace reside.  I also put them one in the garage. 

[Yeah, with one of those Fed Pacs in the house, a lack of a GFCI on a circuit just doesn't seem like a big whoop.]
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
It looks like it may have failed at the "ram and jam" push-fit connectors on the outlet. I've been warned never to use those even though it's a million times easier (especially with the big fat GFCI outlets). Maybe that connection became high-resistance, and with no pigtails and the microwave running, it was enough to melt?

Looks to me like that's exactly what happened, and I am in complete agreement that I won't use them. When my then-wife and I bought a new condo in 1979, we had a myriad of mysterious electrical problems. All were eventually traced to loose connections as a result of those back-stabbers. I finally went through the entire unit, pulled all the wires, and reconnected using the screws, the way I was taught when I was a kid. For good measure, I always also wrap the outlet with electrical tape so the wire ends and screw heads aren't exposed. Not much of an issue in this era of plastic wall boxes, but the older house I live in has steel boxes and BX cable for wiring.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
Like Brad said,

Spend the cash and replace that circuit's breaker with an arc fault, you'll protect all the outlets on the circuit without having to worry which are wired properly.

That sounds so cheap and easy when all you have to do is type it.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."