Author Topic: A new low...  (Read 6191 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
A new low...
« on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
As a part of my magistrate position, I hear complaints seeking to remove children from abusive/neglectful/dangerous homes.  In Ohio, Child Protective Services goes through the county prosecutor, a complaint is filed, and the matter tried to the juvenile court (bench, no jury).

Last week, I'm heaaring one of the cases.  Prosecutor ain't doing so hot proving the case to me.  All of the sudden, out of nowhere, this happened:
Pros: "Do you have any weapons in your home?"
Dad: "Yes."
Pros:  "And, do you have any assault weapons?"
Dad: "No."
Pros: "But you have automic weapons, true?"
Dad: "No.  Semi-auto, but not auto."
Pros: "So, assault weapons."
Dad: "No, a semi-auto rifle and shotgun."
Pros: "And you carry a weapon?"
Dad: "I have a permit."
Pros: "wouldn't you agree that it's dangerous for children to be in the same home where you have assault weapons and carry a gun?"
Dad: "No, I think that makes them safer."

After throwing out the State's case, I asked the Dad's lawyer why she didn't object to the weapon questions.  She smirked and pointed to my desk.  A copy of American Rifleman was sitting on top of my mail.  Guess she wins the prize for paying attention to her surroundings.  She then said "takes on to know one" and showed me a copy of Hundgun magazine in her briefcase.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: A new low...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Looks like Dad has a good one.

And doesn't the prosecutor know your beliefs? :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
automic weapons

Full-auto nukes  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
Full-auto nukes

Heck, you can get them at any gunshow with no paperwork or ID required.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
The younger generation gets them on the Internet.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:50:30 PM »
So, other than a hoplophobic CPS caseworker/prosecutor what he in there for?
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »
Good for you, for tossing the prosecutor's case out the window. Too bad you couldn't have fined him/her for bringing a frivolous action. A prosecutor who doesn't know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic, and who doesn't know what an assault weapon is, should know better than to start asking questions about that subject matter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »
"automic weapons"

Yes please!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »
My 2A beliefs are well known.  The B-27 target hanging on the wall speaks volumes.  Running joke around here is that I have a sawed-off shotgun under the bench, and I'm not doiing anything to shut down that rumor.   :angel:

This prosecutor is just an idiot, and I say that with respect to much of his work, not just this case.  original basis for the case was (1) prescription drug abuse, (2) medical neglect, and (3) unemployment/homelessness.  Guy had good prescriptions for 300 oxycodon a month (face was hit by a crane hook last summer...can you say titanium face structure?  Girl's medical care is slightly neglected, but can be addressed short of foster care.  Dad found a job and is renting a moblie home from a relative.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 09:26:37 AM »

This prosecutor is just an idiot, and I say that with respect to much of his work, not just this case.  original basis for the case was (1) prescription drug abuse, (2) medical neglect, and (3) unemployment/homelessness.  Guy had good prescriptions for 300 oxycodon a month (face was hit by a crane hook last summer...can you say titanium face structure?  Girl's medical care is slightly neglected, but can be addressed short of foster care.  Dad found a job and is renting a moblie home from a relative.

Is this part of the kick a man when he is down department ?   :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
And yet there's a case here in town. Mother is a drug dealer, and regularly beats her teenage boy.

Boy tells his social worker everything that's going on: SW contacts the mother to "discuss concerns". Boy gets yet another beating...

SW absolutely refuses to do ANYTHING about it...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
That's because if you're a Dad, you gotta fight to keep your kids, but if you're a Mom, you practically have to kill 'em before they'll take em away.

The *expletive deleted*ing inconsistency in this stuff infuriates me
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
It's not illegal to be broke and down on your luck.

Unless you have minor children.

Any way to address the CPS jackassery in the long term? Before you dismiss it, that's a whole lot of sheer terror no parent needs. :/

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:32:07 PM »
That's because if you're a Dad, you gotta fight to keep your kids, but if you're a Mom, you practically have to kill 'em before they'll take em away.

The *expletive deleted*ing inconsistency in this stuff infuriates me

I've been talking about dad, but mom was right here in court, next to dad, with her own lawyer.  They are together, just not married, so each must have his or her own lawyer.

And, I don't fault the CPS worker sitting before me in Court.  her job was to investigate and present the facts to the supervisors and the prosecutor.  It was those asshats that decided to seek a removal order.  I can understand concern about a home that is getting over 600 oxycodoe pills per months prescribed to the two adults, but the scripts are valid.  No evidence presented of doc shopping for meds. 

And, just to keep the rumors going, what ammo should I load up in my Serbu Super Shorty cut-down shotgun???
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
Wasn't talking about your case necessarily, was referencing the poster above me.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
I think that in a lot of courtrooms, creating an inference of gun ownership equals danger to vulnerable persons, would get a lot of traction.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
And, just to keep the rumors going, what ammo should I load up in my Serbu Super Shorty cut-down shotgun???

Hornady Zombie Max, of course: http://www.hornady.com/store/12-Ga-00-Z-MAX

Just leave an empty box where it's likely to be seen by colleagues.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »

Do they call it the Rhodesian jungle load or something? 00 buck with something like #4 birdshot poured into the voids between the big balls.
I promise not to duck.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
It's not illegal to be broke and down on your luck.

Unless you have minor children.

Any way to address the CPS jackassery in the long term? Before you dismiss it, that's a whole lot of sheer terror no parent needs. :/

Saw that happen, "guilty of neglect by way of poverty."  Happens more to citizens than illegals herebouts.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Lee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
Awesome - good for you! 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
I think that in a lot of courtrooms, creating an inference of gun ownership equals danger to vulnerable persons, would get a lot of traction.

Not just in court. My wife and I adopted last year. The formal process started two years before and included a mandated home study by a licensed adoption social worker. By the end, given how long our convoluted international adoption took, the social worker and I became friends but, in the beginning, she really didn't know quite what she had sitting in front of her for those 12 or 14 lengthy interview sessions. First, she's enough younger than I that she knows about Vietnam only by word-of-mouth, so to her "Vietnam veteran" equaled "baby killer." And THEN she had to ask if there are any guns in the house.

Me: A few.

ASW: How many is a few? Three?

Me: More.

ASW: Six?

Me: More.

ASW: Well, how many.

Me: I honestly don't know. I've never counted them.

ASW: Do you have bullets (sic) in the house, too?

Me: Of course. A gun is useless without ammunition.

ASW: How much ammunition do you have?

Me: I don't know. Maybe 10,000 or 20,000 rounds, give or take.

You had to be there. The look on her face was priceless. I thought the adoption was ended right then and there, but she hung in there. I have to give her credit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 11:27:03 PM »
Imagine adopting your step-daughter of 10+ years, being in the military with a TS clearance and still have to go through a background check and have an issue because my prints were in the FBI system.  Problem was they were there from my DUI.  Adoption still went through but still the BS. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 07:27:52 AM »
Odd you bring up adoption....we're having our home study today; and, for the first time in my life, I have to separate my guns from my ammo....at least until the adoption caseworker leaves. And to think that I grew up in a home with guns and ammo in easy reach and "gun safety" was taught, not a process involving locks & separate containers....  ;/

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 09:14:16 AM »
For those who adopt...I thank you.  Really and truly.  There are many cases I see of child abuse and neglect where the children simply must be permanently removed from parents, and it is a relief to know that, on the other side, there are good people who are able and willing to give these children a great life when all is said and done.  I know that when I make the order, a child is going to be hurt.  My only solace is that the pain is temporary, and that the adoption will bring more happiness to the child than the pain I cause. 

And, before anyone comes to my rescue, I know that the pain I cause is kind of like a surgeon's pain.  It's absolutely necessary for the child's ongoing well-being.  I accept that.  But I know it's going to hurt, and no matter how rational I try to be about it, it does weigh on me that I'm hurting the children.  Knowing a good family is on the other side helps.

(Sorry, just made one of those orders at 9:00 this morning, and I've talked with the little girl, and know she's going to be hurt by the decision.)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)