Author Topic: Well color me surprised - Supercommittee fails to reach agreement  (Read 3564 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
As said in the title, the supercommittee put in charge of cutting $1.2 Trillion in debt over the next ten years failed to reach an agreement.

Granted, that's just a drop in the bucket of the deficit, but of course, they couldn't even get *THAT* figured out.

http://www.nationaljournal.com//supercommittee/super-committee-fails-to-reach-deficit-agreement-20111121

Dunno whether to go drown my sorrows or just  [barf]

Oh, and mods, the language filter needs tweaking....  Politician doesn't get censored....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Well color me surprised - Supercommittee fails to reach agreement
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:29:34 PM »
Even the "draconian" cuts now set to go into effect are a lie.

the triggering of automatic spending cuts if the supercommittee’s required deficit trims don’t materialize — will barely slow the spending train. Between 2013 and 2021, the federal budget is expected to grow by another $1.7 trillion. And if the sequester trigger is pulled? By another $1.6 trillion . If that’s “brutal,’’ I’m Katy Perry.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2011/11/20/kicking-our-spending-habit/blhI4zdnOIq0rnfy06sOqM/story.html

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
Rick Perry could recommend two entire departments of the executive branch to cut in the seconds before his well-publicized gaffe. This bunch of yahoos comes up with nothing, after two and a half months.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »
I wonder what they'll cut when we reach Greece-level financial breakdown?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:45:29 AM »
I wonder what they'll cut when we reach Greece-level financial breakdown?

Education. FBI. CIA. Military. National Parks.

What they won't cut: EPA. IRS. FDA. SEC. Agriculture. Commerce. Health and Human Services. Social Security. Medicare. Medicaid.

They'll cut the most useful and/or most visible things and keep the harmful things.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
If they really wanted to solve the problem, they could, by means as simple (if obtuse) as plenary budget freezes and across-the-board cuts along with the elimination of baseline budgeting.  Obviously many in power don't want the political pain and others prefer to ride this nag to the glue factory for their own motives.  Right now the sane and rational Americans do not have the political will or the clout to do what is necessary to stop the lunacy.

As for the "Super-Committee," which was a Constitutional contusion from the outset, it was never intended to succeed.  Obama requires a failed Congress to play autocrat-to-the-rescue.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »
Gee, the "supercommittee" failed - who could have seen this coming?  ;/

When he was running for office in the last election, John Boehner mentioned on several occasions that they should start by setting the entire budget back to 2008 levels and go from there.

Since the election . . . nada.

So, did Boehner mean what he campaigned on, or do we need to start looking for a new Speaker?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »
  Obama requires a failed Congress to play autocrat-to-the-rescue.
Yes, of course.

So, did Boehner mean what he campaigned on, or do we need to start looking for a new Speaker?

When did we stop looking?  ???

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 03:37:25 AM »
it seems as if the people are in a deep coma, the super committee was already forgotten as was the threatened gov't shut down.

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 07:02:20 AM »
They'll cut the most useful and/or most visible things and keep the harmful things.

This; it's why cities that can't pass a tax increase lay off cops and firefighters instead of park planners or file clerks.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 08:36:08 AM »
Oh, and mods, the language filter needs tweaking....  Politician doesn't get censored....
Neither does *expletive deleted*bag - there must be a correlation.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »
This; it's why cities that can't pass a tax increase lay off cops and firefighters instead of park planners or file clerks.
Yea, and the schools - "It's for the children!"

'Course, they neglected thinking about 'the children' when they were pissing their budgets away...
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 12:13:20 AM »
it seems as if the people are in a deep coma, the super committee was already forgotten as was the threatened gov't shut down.

Yes they had DWTS and Black (that's racist) Friday to forget about it. If they even knew about a stupor commitee.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »
Yes they had DWTS and Black (that's racist) Friday to forget about it. If they even knew about a stupor commitee.

jim
Black Friday is not racist - you do know the meaning, don't you?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »
"the only way to encourage more spending without increasing personal debt is to let people keep more of what they earn in the first place, and to make sure that they are not being overcharged for necessities like fuel and energy"

Interesting article out of the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8918038/A-daring-idea-to-fix-the-economy-try-doing-less.html

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »
Rick Perry could recommend two entire departments of the executive branch to cut in the seconds before his well-publicized gaffe. This bunch of yahoos comes up with nothing, after two and a half months.
If the yahoos had been successful in achieving the goal, then the projected national debt in 10 years would be a mere 23.8 trillion . . . instead of the 25 trillion we'll get as a result of their failure.

Whoop-de-do.

If Boehner were serious about setting the budget back to 2008 levels, we'd save about $900,000,000,000 in one year - that's about how much Obama & Co. have jacked up annual Federal spending since then. (Note that this would be about 3/4 of the supercommittee's TEN year goal - in ONE year!)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »

jim

Attention zombie shoppers!
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »
Black Friday is not racist - you do know the meaning, don't you?

I'd guess he was joking.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:53:35 PM »
Yes I was joking. With the current social/political climate we live in the term "That's racist" is used as much or more the "It's Bush's fault."

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
If the yahoos had been successful in achieving the goal, then the projected national debt in 10 years would be a mere 23.8 trillion . . . instead of the 25 trillion we'll get as a result of their failure.

Whoop-de-do.

If Boehner were serious about setting the budget back to 2008 levels, we'd save about $900,000,000,000 in one year - that's about how much Obama & Co. have jacked up annual Federal spending since then. (Note that this would be about 3/4 of the supercommittee's TEN year goal - in ONE year!)

This.

None of it is serious.

But we'd better be because we will be the ones suffering for it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:15:24 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »

Whoop-de-do.

These arseholes need to stop playing shell games with supposed "10 year budgets."

No Congress has the power to compel future Congresses to spending plans.  Otherwise, there's no reason to have elections in 2/4/6/8 years if we lock in 10 year spending plans.

This is all smoke and mirrors for the American public.

The only reason they are talking about 10 year budgets is to multiply the amount of cuts they are proposing by 10-fold, while talking about annual deficit amounts in this year's budget.  I keep hearing the nooz talk about 1.5 trillion annual budgets, and 1.2 trillion spending cuts over the next 10 years, in the same sentence. 

I'm tired of the lies.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »
That's right.  What they don't talk about is where the total deficit will be by 2020 and what that will mean.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.