Author Topic: What kind of holiday would it be without some drama...  (Read 13575 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What kind of holiday would it be without some drama...
« on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:15 AM »
Mom's baking pies and preheating the oven.

I walk into the kitchen and wonder why the inside of the oven looks like an arc light.

I open the door just in time to see the element give its last gasp and die.

Less than a minute after Lowe's closes.

So, my brother and I spend an hour swapping elements, and coming up with a way to make the top broiler element into the bottom roaster/baking element.

Actually works well. But it's a "solution" we don't like.

Family is taking a bit later, and my sister-in-law makes an aside reference to table top NESCO style roaster.

Light dawns in my brother's and my eyes at the same time.

Half hour later we're back from WalMart with a GE roaster that claims to be able to handle a 21 pound bird.

We'll see., but hopefully the oven issue is solved until Mom and I hit Lowe's on Friday morning and pick out a new stove for her Christmas gift.

I love this *expletive deleted*it at the Holidays...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: What kind of holiday would it be without some drama...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:42:32 AM »
Thank God for Stouffers. ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »
Golden Corral FTW.... :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 02:04:52 AM »
Golden Corral FTW.... :P

Hey, they just introduced the chocolate fountain at the GCs down here...

(no way in hell would I use it)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 02:14:21 AM »
I have the Rival version of that roaster.  It'll work fine.

My last good one was Independence day.  On the 3rd, while at home depot with a buddy buying supplies to fix the roof after last spring's hailstorms, his phone rings, and it's his wife telling him that my disposal has exploded.  (I still don't get why it happened that way.)  Water under the cabinet, sparks, tripped GFCI, the works.

So, instead of fixing the roof, we end up searching all over town to find a place that sells the disposal I want.  We get it home, go to install it, and end up redoing the whole sink ring thingy and half the plumbing.  Turns out later there was a universal mounting kit in the bottom of the box (directions be damned!).

The next day, I cook up a nice meal and we have the whole family over.  It was a brisket that I cooked in that roaster.  Wife's grandmother is doing dishes when the sink stops draining... Guess our plumbing adventure dislodged some gunk and plugged it.  It's now 8PM, and the family wants fireworks, so plumbing is abandoned.  Dishes are piled up on the counter.

The next day, we get one of those drain king thingies and finally unplug the drain (after somehow managing to cram 50' of snake down the cleanout without finding anything).  All is well.  I tell the wife that all is well and go to put the tools away.  I hear her start to do the dishes.  I come back out of the garage just in time to see her drain the grease from the roaster... Into the sink.  :facepalm:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
Bird does, in fact, fit in the roaster. It's cooking right now.

First year I was in my house, Christmas Eve I had to work a half day. She called me and asked "Why don't we have any hot water?"

Tank sprang a leak and shorted everything out.

My "candle light" services that year were a blowtorch in the basement as I sweated pipes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
Steaks at the FIL's place on the shore of Lake Mathis, in the South of Texas, where it will be 75degF today.

I'll back two pumpkin pies, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:39:43 AM »
Bird does, in fact, fit in the roaster. It's cooking right now.

First year I was in my house, Christmas Eve I had to work a half day. She called me and asked "Why don't we have any hot water?"

Tank sprang a leak and shorted everything out.

My "candle light" services that year were a blowtorch in the basement as I sweated pipes.

You could always use that propane torch to cook your turkey.....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »
Could always have smoked the bird.

Ribeyes on the grill today here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »
This is why you find someone else's family to do thanksgiving with.

I go to my bosses house. So much better then going out to my uncles cabin outside luray.

Marge always destroys something, her cooking isn't bad, but its nothing special and she always starts talking about politics which starts a fight, because she's a card carrying, "its for the children", whiney, illogical liberal and I think she likes making my Dads blood pressure go into orbit.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
We're just doing a quiet Thanksgiving at home with just us this year.  Got friends coming over Saturday though.  Weather permitting (and it's not looking great) I'll go shooting with my buddy at a gravel pit range.

Christmas will be nuts though.  My parents are coming up shortly after a friend from Germany leaves.  Then the inlaws after my folks.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »
Hey, they just introduced the chocolate fountain at the GCs down here...

(no way in hell would I use it)

Not even for . . . bacon?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
Not even for . . . bacon?

You go right ahead and stick your bacon where little kids have stuck their fingers, licked, and then repeated.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 02:47:01 PM »
You go right ahead and stick your bacon where little kids have stuck their fingers, licked, and then repeated.

You have an Immune System. use it. :P

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »
Had the kitchen faucet blow up the the day before thanksgiving. Of course it was a grohe and no one caries the parts around here. Rip out and replace.
Had one of those turkey cooker things that was my grandmothers (read older than dirt) go up in smoke on year.

Not quite as bad but my mother bought a turkey so big it would not fit in the oven. Had to take out the racks and put the roster pan on two bricks to keep it off the element.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »
Nesco roaster does a better job of cooking a whole turkey than in the oven.  I haven't tried baking cakes and pies in it yet.  (cakes should work; I'm doubtful about pies)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
Memorial Day weekend. I smoked a pig quarter.
Just as I started to cut it up my brother was sitting at the kitchen table.
Said he didn't feel so good then fell out of the chair and measured his length on the floor.
Deader than hell right there,massive heart attack.

Nah, not really, he had pneumonia and just passed out from mostly dehydration and the effects of the fever.
Still had a visit from the ambulance crew and he got to spend a week in the hospital, no smoked pork for him.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
It's Friday here now so I can post in this thread.

No need to go to the hospital or worse this holiday. That seems to be becoming rare but I didn't want to jinx it.

It's been a few years back but I had a guy down the road decide to burn off his field on Thanksgiving.  ???  Caugt the old power pole on his place on fire and it dropped killing power to four houses on this side of it and I don't know how many behind.

I learned that I can roast a turkey on a propane grill and my wife agreed that getting the model with the sideburner was a good idea. I did the whole dinner for a houseful out on the deck.

Glad it was a nice day and that we had everything started early so I didn't serve it up too late.

I know a guy that might be able to get you a deal on that bake element and maybe the broil if you had to modify much fitting it to the bake.  ;)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 05:33:25 AM »
Experienced an excruciating abdominal attack a week ago, go in and find out I have either gallstones or another gallbladder related problem. Been on a no-fat/protein diet since.

You can all take your turkey and stuff it where the sun don't shine!  :mad:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 06:58:58 AM »
KGB, why don't you have it removed?  Barring complications, it's an easy surgery and you'll be able to eat whatever you want afterwards.  I had mine removed 6 years ago and don't miss it at all.

Chris

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
I deep fried a turkey for the GF and her parents...2nd year in a row doing the fry route (last year fitz and I did one) and I'm NEVER going back.  Takes less time (15 min prep, 35 min for the oil to heat, 35 min to cook) and is the best juiciest turkey ever.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »
Thanksgiving two years ago about 2 hours after I rolled into town (late at night, tired as hell) I put my Mom in the hospital. She got sick really suddenly.

Turns out it was severe dehydration because of her medications. I had been after her to drink a lot more than what she was, but she wouldn't listen to me, and she paid the price.

Now she maintains a good level of hydration at all times.

Heading out to Loews in a little bit to pick out Mom's Christmas gift, a new stove.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 09:29:27 AM »
KGB, why don't you have it removed?  Barring complications, it's an easy surgery and you'll be able to eat whatever you want afterwards.  I had mine removed 6 years ago and don't miss it at all.

Chris

Probably going to. This really did happen just a week ago, had the ultrasound of it done 2 days ago, waiting on the docs now. I really don't begrudge you all a merry turkey day, just felt like participating in the Drama Thread.  ;)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 09:31:46 AM »
I deep fried a turkey for the GF and her parents...2nd year in a row doing the fry route (last year fitz and I did one) and I'm NEVER going back.  Takes less time (15 min prep, 35 min for the oil to heat, 35 min to cook) and is the best juiciest turkey ever.

My thanksgiving was awesome this year. Deep fried two birds (had a 10 pounder since it was just us... then a Marine friend of ours let us know he and his wife/kids weren't doing thanksgiving this year. Oh hell no!)

So we bought another 12 lb bird, and did em both. Tony Chachere's injectible butter marinade and the same brand rub on the outside. Fried em both, had apple, pumpkin, and reeses pies... best of all: this Marine brews his own beer. He brought a great pale ale, an amazing amber, and even some Cream ale and an apple wine that the wife loved.

I slept like a baby!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »
The wife and I had Thankgiving away from family.  No drama at all this year.   :cool: