Author Topic: Cornell West and his new math?  (Read 1110 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Cornell West and his new math?
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
Can anyone translate this for me, please?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/28/cornel_west_ultimate_fight_for_entitlements_will_be_in_the_streets.html

"I think the problem is that the poor children, keep in mind it's 42% of poor children who live at or near poverty, it's 25% in poverty. Our audience needs to keep that in mind." Cornel West said on MSNBC this afternoon.

85% of statistics are made up right on the spot.

It works right the first time, 90% of the time.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I can't make heads or tails from his compounded percentages above.

And if I could... I still don't really care.  I was one of those kids in "poverty" when I was little.  American kids in "poverty" still have it pretty good as long as they have reasonably responsible parents.

As far as I can tell, this idgit is agitating for violence in the streets to get sympathy money for another LBJ War on Poverty (which has already been institutionalized and manifested in WIC, SCHIP, Medicare, HUD, Dept of Ed, and dozens of other programs that haven't gone away or ever even been reduced).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Cornell West and his new math?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »
Ninety-five percent of it is half-mental  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »
42% at or near poverty
25% in poverty
Subtract 25% (those in poverty) from 42% (at or near poverty) to get 17% - those near poverty but not actually in it.

Anyway, I think this fool wants MORE welfare giveaways - until recently, the cumulative totals we as a nation spent on various "Great Society" giveaways was mighty close to the national debt. And if you count the TARP/stimulus/bailouts as an extension of those giveaways, the cumulative total is still pretty close.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
A word for the professor: don't have kids you can't afford.  Good way to avoid poor kids.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »
I think he meant that 42% of all US children live at or near poverty.  He probably just parrots the same stats so often that he developed a verbal shorthand for spouting the numbers.

Anyway, soon enough we will redefine poverty to mean everybody except the rich bastards in the top 1% who aren't paying their fair share and made their vast fortunes off the backs of us poor 99%.......... etc, etc.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »
Yeah, "42% of poor children" sort of throws you off.  I thought a good definition of poor would be poverty, at least the way we define it.  On the other hand, since most children themselves do not have any money or income, they are all poor. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge