Author Topic: Obama seals Brian Terry murder case  (Read 7582 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Obama seals Brian Terry murder case
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-admin-seals-records-murdered-border-patrol-agent-implicated-fast-and-furious_610783.html

Not very "transparent."

Well, I guess the guilt of this administration is rather transparent.  But that's about it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
Re: Obama seals Brian Terry murder case
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if we really had an Opposition Party to stand up to the tyranny?  A man can dream.

Obama knows what's buried in this case.  He and Holder know full well what they were planning to do, and they know that if it's fully exposed it rises to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors.

This is one more in the thousand points of darkness winking out the light of America.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »
Cannot Congress do something to override this?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 12:39:58 PM »
Impeachment.

Subpoena.

Inquiry.

They are, if they choose to be, the 2nd highest court in the land, only inferior to the Supreme Court... and capable of impeaching the SCOTUS if necessary.

And require no executive/prosecutorial favor to initiate proceedings... unlike criminal matters where feds/cops/bureaucrats fail to prosecute themselves.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
We didn't come all this way without Congress's "help."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
Impeachment.

Subpoena.

Inquiry.

They are, if they choose to be, the 2nd highest court in the land, only inferior to the Supreme Court... and capable of impeaching the SCOTUS if necessary.

And require no executive/prosecutorial favor to initiate proceedings... unlike criminal matters where feds/cops/bureaucrats fail to prosecute themselves.

The Supreme Court is inferior to Congress.  Congress sets the number Justices and if Congress so desired they could give Chief Justice Roberts a card table on Pennsylvania Ave. and call that his court.  Congress can ignore any ruling the Supreme Court makes. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

The Supreme Court is inferior to Congress.  Congress sets the number Justices and if Congress so desired they could give Chief Justice Roberts a card table on Pennsylvania Ave. and call that his court.  Congress can ignore any ruling the Supreme Court makes. 

I sit corrected.  Couldn't remember which was superior.  Though it makes sense for Congress to be superior since they are easier for the public to replace, and it's harder to get 500 people to agree on anything.
--Lysander Spooner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »
So what the article really means is that the Obama administration got a judge to seal the case right?  I didn't think the Obama admin had the power themselves to seal the case. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »
Time for house spinelessrepublicans to vote for and copiously fund a special prosecutor.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 05:41:40 PM »

This is the same sort of lawyering that leads people into believing that wages aren't income :(

The congress is subordinate to the constitution, which gives the supreme court it's existence and powers to decide certain matters of law.  The congress can't ignore the constitution; consequently, it can't just ignore the court.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
This is the same sort of lawyering that leads people into believing that wages aren't income :(

The congress is subordinate to the constitution, which gives the supreme court it's existence and powers to decide certain matters of law.  The congress can't ignore the constitution; consequently, it can't just ignore the court.

True, COTUS > Congress.  But, reading the COTUS, Congress > SCOTUS.  It should be even greater, but SCOTUS has usurped much power starting with Marbary(sp?) v Madison.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:42:52 PM »
True, COTUS > Congress.  But, reading the COTUS, Congress > SCOTUS.  It should be even greater, but SCOTUS has usurped much power starting with Marbary(sp?) v Madison.

Haha, yes, that argument is one of my favorites - a decision by one of the first supreme courts, accepted by the same government (same individuals even!) who wrote the constitution got it wrong as to how the constitution was intended to situate the court and the congress....rrright.

Marbury was the most logical outcome of there being a constitution at the time, which was to ensure that parliament didn't simply replace the king. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
Impeachment.

Subpoena.

Inquiry.

Last time I checked, as a result of the checks and balances worked into the constitution, the judicial branch (which the SCOTUS is the head of) and congress (along with the executive branch) were co-equal branches of the government.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:48:30 PM »
Last time I checked, as a result of the checks and balances worked into the constitution, the judicial branch (which the SCOTUS is the head of) and congress (along with the executive branch) were co-equal branches of the government.

Three branches are equal only in the sense that they are the three branches.
Congress has power over the executive and judiciary through legislation (including increasing/decreasing number) and impeachment powers.
SCOTUS can decide on the constitutionality of legislation, but can also be impeached by congress
Neither SCOTUS nor the president can remove members of congress, only congress can.
Thus congress is the supreme power, subordinate ONLY to COTUS.

Hence "a republic ma'am, if you can keep it".  The founding fathers recognized the danger of an overly powerful executive and an overly power judiciary

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:41:42 AM »

This.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 12:50:01 AM »
Haha, yes, that argument is one of my favorites - a decision by one of the first supreme courts, accepted by the same government (same individuals even!) who wrote the constitution got it wrong as to how the constitution was intended to situate the court and the congress....rrright.

Marbury was the most logical outcome of there being a constitution at the time, which was to ensure that parliament didn't simply replace the king. 

What can stop the President from appointing two more judges?

Four more judges?

Sixteen more judges?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 12:54:37 AM »

Four more judges?

Sixteen more judges?

Law.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »
Law.

Which one?

The Constitution does not set a number of justices. Currently it's nine. In the founding era it was six. During the Civil War it was ten.  Congress has altered their numbers many a time, it can do so again if there's the will.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:08:33 AM »
Which one?

The Constitution does not set a number of justices. Currently it's nine. In the founding era it was six. During the Civil War it was ten.  Congress has altered their numbers many a time, it can do so again if there's the will.

You asked a question.  And you are right that it has changed and Congress has to change the law.

Your question asked,

Four more judges?

Sixteen more judges?

I answered.  Simple question, simple answer.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 01:16:41 AM »
Okay, I misunderstood your reply.

The point is, if the other two branches wish it, they can put a serious bind on the Supreme Court.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 01:19:03 AM »
Okay, I misunderstood your reply.

The point is, if the other two branches wish it, they can put a serious bind on the Supreme Court.

Like that is bloody going to happen in our lifetimes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:13 AM »

Four more judges?

Sixteen more judges?

You both over-thought this one. "Advice and consent of the Senate."  :laugh:  But, yeah, the Constitution leaves Congress to set most of the rules for federal judiciary.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 08:18:35 AM »
In other words, congress is subordinate really only to the constitution, as it can remove the personnel in the other branches, change the number of justices, and the executive (by constitutional definition) can only work within law created by congress.  The founders knew this would dilute power as much as reasonably possible, which was their goal--side note, the reason impeachment powers are split (which house impeached and which house "tries") was the check and balance on congressional impeachment powers.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »
Which one?

During the "Great Depression" the Supreme Court declared the National Industrial Recovery Act unconstitutional (as well as one other FDR program the name of which escapes me at the moment) and an angered FDR responded by threatening to "stuff" SCOTUS with liberal judges.  He didn't get around to it; the popular revulsion of the masses was enough to discourage him, however, it is said that the high court got the idea and was more receptive to FDR's "programs" afterwards.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »
Do remember that Congress has little power that does not require the President to sign off or VETO. 

In addition, the House at least is up for election more often.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge