Author Topic: Boy, 9, Suspended from School for Sexual Harassment After Calling Teacher 'Cute'  (Read 6484 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/04/boy-suspended-from-school-for-sexual-harassment-after-calling-teacher-cute/?test=latestnews

Wow all this is getting out of hand.  Really, going to get to the point that you can't converse with anyone without specific signs saying you can.  We are going to have to have little devices implanted in the top of our heads to let people know when they can speak to us and what they can say. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
That "article" is remarkably vague.  I'd be interested in exactly what was said and in what context before we decide who to draw and quarter.  It's possible that Chiquita is downplaying her little darling's actions.

MechAg94

• friend
My concern is more that these schools seem to be holding kids accountable to adult standards who are really not equipped to handle that sort of decision making. 

I agree on getting more facts, but I am not optimistic.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ned Hamford

• friend
"According to the station, a district spokeswoman said she could not go into detail, but said the boy was suspended for "inappropriate behavior" after making "inappropriate statements."

Well, that is a plural.  So somebody is a liar. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

wmenorr67

• friend
Mech hit it on the head.  Hell in the military we have to be careful of who is around when speaking.  Someone not even in the conversation can scream harassment just for overhearing/being nosy. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Kids these days being a bit less innocent than we were when I was a kid, it could be he said "cute" along with a few crude phrases, in which case punishment of some kind should be forthcoming.

On the other hand, when I was that age we always had a crush on some teacher or another, and the "inappropriate" language was along the lines of, "Gosh that Mrs. Perrywinkle is cute". If that's what this boy was doing, than the punishment is out of line.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
So then who's going to sue Van Halen?

This song just randomly popped up in my play list and I'm listening to it right now. :laugh:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Kids these days being a bit less innocent than we were when I was a kid, it could be he said "cute" along with a few crude phrases, in which case punishment of some kind should be forthcoming.

On the other hand, when I was that age we always had a crush on some teacher or another, and the "inappropriate" language was along the lines of, "Gosh that Mrs. Perrywinkle is cute". If that's what this boy was doing, than the punishment is out of line.

At 9 years old, the parents are the ones needing punishment.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Principal is singing the blues now.  School board gave him the choice of resign or be fired.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/07/north-carolina-principal-forced-to-retire-after-suspending-nine-year-old-for/?test=latestnews

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
Wow talk of going overboard on the punishment on all accounts.

Based on these actions, the student shouldn't have been suspended.  However, I don't think the principal should lose his job over this.  Maybe a three day suspension for him without pay.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Yeah no kidding. That pendulum came swinging back hard.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
No one has asked the important question yet......

.....is she cute?......

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Yeah no kidding. That pendulum came swinging back hard.

I doubt this is the first over-reaction by that particular educrat.

If I bring calumny like that down on MY employer via such poor judgment, I can expect to be kicked to the curb.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Crazy PC reactions all the way around. If the latest story is accurate, the kid really just did tell his friend his teacher was cute. That is absolutely innocent. The Principal made a bonehead decision and should have faced some kind of punishment (reprimand, suspension, being made fun of etc.). The school board firing him (or forcing resignation) is no better than what he did to the boy (unless there is a history of boneheadedness on the Principal's part that has not come to light).

What I'd like to see is some kind of punishment for the jackass substitute teacher that ratted the kid out. Someone with judgment that poor has no business teaching kids.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

longeyes

• friend
Freud gave us "infantile sexuality," but I'm sure he didn't expect THIS, a whole nation slowly going infantile and sex-crazy.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
I think boneheaded PC decisions like this SHOULD result in the harshest possible consequences.  It will, finally, force teachers and administrators to actually, well, think about what they are about to do rather than making silly, stupid, counter-productive rulings.

The guy did, after all, make a decision that could have easily affected the remainder of the kid's life via a change in his educational status.  And he did it for no other reason than a PC-based "zero tolerance" general attitude that has become all too pervasive in academia.  It's become a crutch for schools and school administrators.  They should be held to higher standard, including harsher punishments for bad or patently stupid judgement calls than can, and sometime do, affect the child's future ability to secure a quality higher education.

I think the school board did the right thing.  I wish every school board would do the same thing in a circumstance like this.  That would put a quick, sudden, and definitive end to the pc-based punishment lunacy that seems to have pervaded our schools.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stuff Brad Said

Brad

Actually, I think I have to re-evaluate what I said given Brad's reply. Given information from the stories I read, the principal did do something monumentally stupid. If the information he got was "boy said his teacher was cute", he severely overreacted in the PC sense and should face harsher consequences. I still stand by what I said about the substitute needing an ass-whoopin' or something for starting this whole thing.

HankB

• friend
. . . I think the school board did the right thing.  I wish every school board would do the same thing in a circumstance like this.  That would put a quick, sudden, and definitive end to the pc-based punishment lunacy that seems to have pervaded our schools.
Here here.

And this is a victory for social media and the Internet - if the word hadn't been spread by electronic media (NOT traditional news sources!!!) drawing attention to this PC nonsense, the idiot principal would never have been called to task for his lunacy.

He would have gotten away with it.

Sometimes, sunlight IS the best disinfectant.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Dannyboy

• friend
If schools are going to have Zero Tolerance policies, they should work both ways.

This just might be the very best quote ever regarding Zero Tolerance.  It's from the principal.
"One mistake in 44 years, and I'm not given the benefit of the doubt. I really don't believe I was treated fairly," Bostic told the station.

After 44 years, I don't have much sympathy for him.  He's probably getting his pension.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
"One mistake in 44 years, and I'm not given the benefit of the doubt. I really don't believe I was treated fairly," Bostic told the station.

There's only one thing I can say to that:

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Terpsichore

• friend
"Bostic spoke out after his 44-year career came to an abrupt end Tuesday, saying, "I didn't show a history of making problems like that. I've had the best of evaluations my entire career and because of some syndicated columnist in New York or California, I don't have a job.""

"Best evaluations"????  He went way overboard with his decision.  I agree with earlier posts that he shouldn't have been fired, (suspended without pay, sure) BUT, to count this among his "best evaluations".....He may want to keep his thinking cap on a little longer with that one.  It's getting to the point where we won't be able to speak to anyone without worrying about offending them or getting hit with a harassment case.  This was definitely something where more research should have been done before passing judgement on the student.  It wouldn't have put the principal out of his job and the student a mark on his school record.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

MechAg94

• friend
If schools are going to have Zero Tolerance policies, they should work both ways.

This just might be the very best quote ever regarding Zero Tolerance.  It's from the principal.

After 44 years, I don't have much sympathy for him.  He's probably getting his pension.
If this completely boneheaded decision is any indication, I seriously doubt his previous 44 years were all that spectacular.  This was NOT just a mistake.  No normal person comes to this sort of decision out of the blue.  There was a history here.  

IMO, these administrators work for the public and make pretty damn good money in a lot of cases.  I have no problem with holding bureaucrats on short leash.  

I do agree the teacher who reported it deserves punishment, but that should have come from the Principal after he sent the child back to the class and immediately chewed out the teacher who reported it. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:41:01 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
I doubt this is the first over-reaction by that particular educrat.

If I bring calumny like that down on MY employer via such poor judgment, I can expect to be kicked to the curb.

This.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner