Author Topic: Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."  (Read 42924 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."
« on: December 06, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/284972/ron-paul-factor-robert-costa

Rep. Ron Paul rarely makes news, and his candidacy is frequently ignored by Beltway reporters. But headlines, his aides say, are overrated. In fact, the Texas Republican’s low-key autumn was strategic. As Paul’s competitors stumbled and sparred, he amassed a small fortune for his campaign and built a strong ground operation. And with January fast approaching, his team is ready to surprise the political world and sweep the Iowa caucuses.

“This was a movement when he first started running in 2008,” says Trygve Olson, a senior Paul adviser. “Now it’s turned into a highly professionalized campaign, but the energy from that last run is still there, and at the heart of what’s keeping up his momentum.”

The latest polls back up that confidence. In the influential Des Moines Register poll published over the weekend, Paul placed second. Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, captured 25 percent of likely Iowa GOP voters, but Paul garnered 18 percent, two points ahead of Mitt Romney, who in 2008 placed second in the caucuses.

More at the link.

Of all the candidates, Paul is the only one to submit a realistic path forward out of the spending/deficit/debt/entitlement mess.

Usually I am one of the folk who preface everything nice I say about Ron Paul with, "Except for his foreign policy..."

I am getting to the point where I am saying to myself, "Except for his foreign policy...Aw, %&@] it.  I care less about Ron Paul's foreign ^&()ing policy every day."

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 02:20:53 PM by mtnbkr »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:54:59 AM »
I am getting to the point where I am saying to myself, "Except for his foreign policy...Aw, %&@] it.  I care less about Ron Paul's foreign ^&()ing policy every day.

I am in the EXACT same place.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:26:05 PM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:09:01 PM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/284972/ron-paul-factor-robert-costa

More at the link.

Of all the candidates, Paul is the only one to submit a realistic path forward out of the spending/deficit/debt/entitlement mess.

Usually I am one of the folk who preface everything nice I say about Ron Paul with, "Except for his foreign policy..."

I am getting to the point where I am saying to myself, "Except for his foreign policy...Aw, %&@] it.  I care less about Ron Paul's foreign ^&()ing policy every day."

yea
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
Even his foreign policy isn't as reckless as some suggest.  He does understand what we are promoting and what we are protecting.  That is the only sound starting point.

We see where "smart power" is getting us, and it's not good.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
Who is Ron Paul ?

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »
Who is Ron Paul ?

:lol:

He's the old guy you see way off to the side at all the Republican "debates".  Since he never says anything and the camera tries to avoid him, I figure he must be the stage manager.
"It's good, though..."

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
Even his foreign policy isn't as reckless as some suggest.  

Agreed.  There are detractors who are quick to shout "isolationism!!!"  However, as many have pointed out, his ideas are better termed non-interventionist.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:27:50 PM by red headed stranger »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:24:58 PM »
I am in the EXACT same place.

Sign me up.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »
Agreed.  There are detractors who are quick to shout "isolationism!!!"  However, as many have pointed out, his ideas are better termed non-interventionist.  

Isolationism is defined as non-interventionism combined with no international trade.

Ron Paul is non-interventionist militarily and pro-free trade with all nations.  As he likes to say when quoting the founders "Free trade with all nations, entangling alliances with none."

The people you speak of still like to call him an isolationist, even when you point out that they are 50% right and also 50% wrong (for a net of 0% right) they still persist.  We have a few on this board.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »
Who is Ron Paul ?

Go to the diner at the lower level of the Taggart Terminal.  You might run into him there.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
He's the old guy you see way off to the side at all the Republican "debates".  Since he never says anything and the camera tries to avoid him, I figure he must be the stage manager.

I saw recently a report on an Iowa "Christian family values voter" dog and pony show.  (Many R. candidates present, except Mitt.)  From the report, Ron sounded uncomfortable with the venue.  That's fine by me.

Who else voted for him when he ran as a Libertarian?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
Agreed.  There are detractors who are quick to shout "isolationism!!!"  However, as many have pointed out, his ideas are better termed non-interventionist

I saw him on a TV interview.  When asked what he would do about Iran's nuclear weapons program one part of his solution was "to start by offering them friendship".  As much as I respect his ideas that one makes me go  [barf]!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
Go to the diner at the lower level of the Taggart Terminal.  You might run into him there.

;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 04:30:43 PM »
I supported Ron Paul before it was cool.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »
IMHO most Americans at this point in time really don't give a damn about foreign policy.  They want to know what the hell you are going to do to get our country back on track or what can the government do for me.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
IMHO most Americans at this point in time really don't give a damn about foreign policy.  They want to know what the hell you are going to do to get our country back on track or what can the government do for me and when is the government going to stop doing stuff for me.

Now it's closer to my philosophy. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
Now it's closer to my philosophy. :)

As well as I and 99% of the others on this board.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
IMHO most Americans at this point in time really don't give a damn about foreign policy.  They want to know what the hell you are going to do to get our country back on track or when will the government stop doing stuff to me.

Ron Paulified.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
Paul is by far the best of the candidates when viewed from this side of the pond, though given the rest of the candidates that probably sounds more impressive a statement than it is.  I cant believe he would ever win though, you would think that every mainstream media outlet would go nuts over it and Obama's fundraising would probably go up by an immense amount.  
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
The best thing Ron Paul has done for me is open my eyes to how captured the paleomedia really are. I always dismissed such claims, but if the media WASN'T controlled by entrenched interests, he would be all over the news. He's by far the most interesting/controversial candidate.

I voted for him in 2008 and I will vote for him again. I laugh at people who say "if it just wasn't for his foreign policy". Beggars can't be choosers, and with if wealth is measured in candidates, we are indeed beggars. Among the current crop of weak-lettuce candidates, Ron Paul is a steak dinner.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 06:36:49 PM »
It's true: Ron Paul is an anachronism, a man who still operates "the old way," but that is better than an arachnoidism, which is what we are getting with the current regime.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »
Paul is by far the best of the candidates when viewed from this side of the pond, though given the rest of the candidates that probably sounds more impressive a statement than it is.  I cant believe he would ever win though, you would think that every mainstream media outlet would go nuts over it and Obama's fundraising would probably go up by an immense amount.  

Actually, if Paul somehow miraculously made it through the GOP nomination process, he'd pull in a rather large plurality from both the Left and the Right.

A few of my lefty neighbors... to the point of being annoyingly so, who bought the ugly Honda Insight hybrid two years before the much cooler Prius came out, and had lefty political signs up in their yardall year round... yeah, those people. As popularity polls for Obama began to bottom out this past summer, these folks took down all their Democratic signs, and put up exactly two Ron Paul 2012 signs.

Libertarians on social issues, namely, do whatever the hell you want that doesn't hurt someone else, resonates well enough with many otherwise hard-left types, that they're willing to eschew Keynesian/Marxist economic policy and the welfare state to line up behind the man.

Or, maybe it's just drug legalization. I dunno.  :laugh:

The downside would be that Agricola is absolutely right, you'd see all sorts of crazy power shifts, and changes in PAC and individual donations and funding patterns shift to Obama. Especially a lot of traditionally conservative ones from the business, agricultural, manufacturing, and financial sectors. The common thread being they enjoy either profit, or protection from government largess.

Companies, groups, and lobby groups that may have a nominal Left/Right political predisposition, but more so have a heavily invested interest in the status quo. And for better or worse, Right or Left, anyone interested in the status quo above all else would scramble to prop up Obama.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 06:52:57 PM »
Ron Paul...except for his foreign policy"

Ya know, if Romney is nominated, my write-in vote may be those exact words.  :laugh:

I supported Ron Paul before it was cool.

When was that? Before 2008?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »

The downside would be that Agricola is absolutely right, you'd see all sorts of crazy power shifts, and changes in PAC and individual donations and funding patterns shift to Obama. Especially a lot of traditionally conservative ones from the business, agricultural, manufacturing, and financial sectors. The common thread being they enjoy either profit, or protection from government largess.

Companies, groups, and lobby groups that may have a nominal Left/Right political predisposition, but more so have a heavily invested interest in the status quo. And for better or worse, Right or Left, anyone interested in the status quo above all else would scramble to prop up Obama.

Along the same vein, I've heard that Obama has more Wall Street and Bank donations than the entire GOP field so far... combined.

This is probably because the GOP is trying to angle as the Tea Party party, the downsize government party, the "no bail out" party.

That is offensive to those who love to Privatize Gain and Socialize Loss, and are "too big to fail."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!