Author Topic: Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."  (Read 42925 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »
I don't know about that.....but I'm sure that the GOP would sabotage his POTUS run, preferring an Obama 2nd term over a Paul presidency......

What would you consider sabotage? I may end up "sabotaging" Romney's POTUS run by not voting for him. But I hope you don't consider a lack of enthusiastic support to be sabotage. I ask, because that seems to be the way of Paul supporters - if you don't support him, they seem to think you're doing something wrong.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2012, 09:43:33 PM »
The problem with comparing everything to Hitler is this: it loses its impact when the rare situation comes up where it's apt.
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
What would you consider sabotage? I may end up "sabotaging" Romney's POTUS run by not voting for him. But I hope you don't consider a lack of enthusiastic support to be sabotage. I ask, because that seems to be the way of Paul supporters - if you don't support him, they seem to think you're doing something wrong.

Nothing like that....more like the GOP establishment will deny him money & resources even if he wins the primaries outright....you know, the "take our ball & go home" approach....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »
NO, he doesn't. Change doesn't come quickly. Or, rather, LASTING change doesn't come quickly absent divine intervention.

Even, heaven forbid, should Ron Paul be elected and placed in power TODAY, we wouldn't get an "opportunity to bypass the process of slow, torturous, one-percentile-point-a-year progress" because there would be a MASSIVE BACKLASH to his efforts.

Further, there is the problem that everything Ron Paul wants would have to go through Congress and, likely, the courts. Not only does that take time, but there would be significant resistance to efforts for quick, significant change.

Our polity was purposely designed for slow change. Yes, we've moved FAR from the founder's intentions. We will not get back there with some quick fix like electing your libertarian super-hero. We would likely lose ground as a result of his efforts, not gain it, ultimately. (Just as, mirabile dictu, Obama's efforts may actually cause the liberals to lose ground due to the massive backlash of 2010 and the hopefully massive backlash of 2012.)

When you find yourself sinking in quicksand you don't plan to master yogic breath retention.  We don't have ten, 20, 30 years to re-build the Republic.  We may not have five, or three.

While we talk about the coming Election, what we really need is not an Election but a LOCK-OUT.  While we wrangle over choosing a candidate who can not only win but might actually do something constructive AFTER being elected, knowing that this candidate will be disemboweled by the media while our own refuse to lay a glove on the Anointed One, the ugly reality is that one of the candidates in the race should not be running at all but should be impeached.  Not acknowledging this unpleasant reality is to already lose anything that really matters.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
When you find yourself sinking in quicksand you don't plan to master yogic breath retention.  We don't have ten, 20, 30 years to re-build the Republic.  We may not have five, or three.

While we talk about the coming Election, what we really need is not an Election but a LOCK-OUT.  While we wrangle over choosing a candidate who can not only win but might actually do something constructive AFTER being elected, knowing that this candidate will be disemboweled by the media while our own refuse to lay a glove on the Anointed One, the ugly reality is that one of the candidates in the race should not be running at all but should be impeached.  Not acknowledging this unpleasant reality is to already lose anything that really matters.

You also don't need to get heavy equipment to dig out the quicksand and turn it into farmland when you are sinking in it. You need to get out and then you can make plans for removing the quicksand so you can avoid it in the future.

The ultimate solution is to return to the founder's vision. An immediate and drastic reordering of the country is not necessary yet to our survival. Until it is, gradual measures are better.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2012, 01:44:25 AM »

The ultimate solution is to return to the founder's vision. An immediate and drastic reordering of the country is not necessary yet to our survival. Until it is, gradual measures are better.

Had this been merely a question of economic efficience or American geopolitical power you might have been right. This is not the case.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner