Author Topic: Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."  (Read 42923 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Ron Paul in Iowa; "Except for his foreign policy..."
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
Saw that too, Micro.

I think Paul may end up taking some of the spotlight away from Newt, Romney and Perry for a bit here.  If he wins Iowa, the media is going to have a VERY hard time ignoring him.

"And Ron Paul also came in first with 55% of the vote"

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
If Paul does take Iowa the headlines are probably going to read "Newt/Romney loses Iowa!!"... no actual mention of who won.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »
I've changed my mind about voting for Paul. Unless something radical happens, I think I will.  Even if he runs as an Independent.   I like him more than the other candidates, and he seems to be a good, honest man, which outweighs everything else to me. Can he win?  I seriously doubt it.  But I'm no longer able to accept the alternatives.   
If he would wear cowboy boots, start talking with a Texas Drawl and get more simple answers wrong, he could probably win. 

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:28 AM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »
Ronnie got hammered on Iran by Bachman in last night's debate......oops.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 11:09:41 AM »
Just donated $25 to Dr. Paul.

'Splayn, plz.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 12:22:36 PM »
Just donated $25 to Dr. Paul.

'Splayn, plz.
http://www.infowars.com/ron-pauls-constitutionalist-anti-war-stance-supported-by-u-s-troops/

The video, not the text. The video is what I saw this morning on the news.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »
Ron Paul is a valuable critic on many things, especially fiscal and monetary policies, but what we need right now is a realistic nationalist, and that he isn't because of his views on military preparedness and immigration.  He is, in my view, the antipodes of Obama and would be just as freakish a choice to lead this nation.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
In today's Wall Street Journal, there was an editorial about the rise of Mr. Paul, and how he taken more seriously this time around.  However, the article argues that his inflexibility on foreign policy dooms his chances of getting the nomination.  

The article is here if you have WSJ access:  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204026804577100730656321606.html?mod=ITP_opinion_0

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »
http://www.infowars.com/ron-pauls-constitutionalist-anti-war-stance-supported-by-u-s-troops/

The video, not the text. The video is what I saw this morning on the news.

Paul biyatch-slapped her.  Talking about Kennedy's resolution of the past via diplomacy (including the big stick principle, but using diplomacy).

Bachmann was wielding the "Americans COULD be in danger" bullscat fearmongering card, and Paul soundly put her in her place. 

I remember cheering loudly when that happened (watched the debate at a bar last night).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
The fact that the theaters of war we are in may well be the wrong ones or that our strategy is blind or warped does not mean we are not at war and don't need to react accordingly.  Mr Paul's views on Islam are astoundingly naive, not to mention dangerous.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
The fact that the theaters of war we are in may well be the wrong ones or that our strategy is blind or warped does not mean we are not at war and don't need to react accordingly. Mr Paul's views on Islam are astoundingly naive, not to mention dangerous.

If we are in the wrong theaters and our strategy, up to date, is blind or warped the last thing we should be doing is opening up a new front in the same theater of war to continue pursuing the same old warped strategies.

Sending more Americans into the meat grinder over contrived IAEA reports and "nuclear hysteria" not seen since the Cold War is what is really dangerous crazy. I thought we learned our lesson with Iraq and its imminent threat of "WMDs". Oh, but THIS time it's different, right?

Why should we support a military agenda that will most likely lead us to a war several times worse than what we have seen in the last decade, bankrupting the Nation and sending thousands of American lives down the drain in the process? Not to mention wreaking economic chaos across the entire globe when oil supplies get compromised. Forget the whole "Islam is out to get us because we are free" argument because it doesn't withstand scrutiny.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
The fact that the theaters of war we are in may well be the wrong ones or that our strategy is blind or warped does not mean we are not at war and don't need to react accordingly.  Mr Paul's views on Islam are astoundingly naive, not to mention dangerous.

No offence, but this is nonsense.  

Islam - even as a whole (ignoring for a moment the hateful split between Sunni and Shia, and taking the religion as a whole rather than just the Sunni Caliphal fundies like al-Q who are the ones who have actually done something) - poses at most about a thousandth of the danger that the Soviet Union posed, in terms of social appeal (given how many people are still communist despite everything), funding for non-friendly regimes and terror groups, the military threat and the risk to Western civilization as a whole.  

To try and make citizens of the most powerful nation on earth scared of this threat - which is what some people have been doing - is utterly irresponsible.  In fact its only the complete weakness of almost every Islamic states that makes such agitation and subsequent action possible (which is of course the main reason why Iran wants the bomb in the first place).
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
If we are in the wrong theaters and our strategy, up to date, is blind or warped the last thing we should be doing is opening up a new front in the same theater of war to continue pursuing the same old warped strategies.

Sending more Americans into the meat grinder over contrived IAEA reports and "nuclear hysteria" not seen since the Cold War is what is really dangerous crazy. I thought we learned our lesson with Iraq and its imminent threat of "WMDs". Oh, but THIS time it's different, right?

Why should we support a military agenda that will most likely lead us to a war several times worse than what we have seen in the last decade, bankrupting the Nation and sending thousands of American lives down the drain in the process? Not to mention wreaking economic chaos across the entire globe when oil supplies get compromised. Forget the whole "Islam is out to get us because we are free" argument because it doesn't withstand scrutiny.

Exactly.  In fact, if you want to play the realpolitik game then one of the best things that could happen to US Middle East policy is for the Iranians to actually get the bomb - the rest of the region would be so terrified they would be in your pocket for years, and the whole notion of what would happen to them if they actually did use it to attack someone would probably result in their leadership being considerably more civilized than they have been lately.
"Make peace, you fools"

Lee

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »

I didn't see it...just read about it.  I disagree.  As usual she just threw something out there as part of the popularity contest....and as usual, devoid of reason or logic.

The middle east (and world) witnessed the intensity of a brief military campaign against Saddam.  Even that was conducted with an effort to minimize civilian casualties when possible.
The rest has been mostly "peacekeeping".  There would be no restraint if Iran was to really commit an open act of war.  If nuclear, they would cease to exist as a society.
You know that, I know that, the Iranian people know that, the world knows that.  I fear Iran like I fear Malaysia.  Bachman is a bone head trying to extend her run as class president.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

Only if you mean "Bachmann spouted obviously wrong statements on Iran louder than Ron Paul".

Iran is not within months of obtaining nuclear arms. Iran has also not stated they would use said arms against the United States.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
No offence, but this is nonsense.  

Islam - even as a whole (ignoring for a moment the hateful split between Sunni and Shia, and taking the religion as a whole rather than just the Sunni Caliphal fundies like al-Q who are the ones who have actually done something) - poses at most about a thousandth of the danger that the Soviet Union posed, in terms of social appeal (given how many people are still communist despite everything), funding for non-friendly regimes and terror groups, the military threat and the risk to Western civilization as a whole.  

To try and make citizens of the most powerful nation on earth scared of this threat - which is what some people have been doing - is utterly irresponsible.  In fact its only the complete weakness of almost every Islamic states that makes such agitation and subsequent action possible (which is of course the main reason why Iran wants the bomb in the first place).

Islam would not be a threat if The West were not collapsing from within on so many levels.  Britain and America have given Islam its money, technology, and education, and seem hell-bent on conflating Islam with Leftism.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2011, 09:50:58 PM »
Islam would not be a threat if The West were not collapsing from within on so many levels.  Britain and America have given Islam its money, technology, and education, and seem hell-bent on conflating Islam with Leftism.

Radical islamists have technology? Are we talking about the same radical islamists here?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
As you know, Micro, there are plenty of Muslims, many trained in the West, with advanced skills in mathematics, engineering, computer science, physics, chemistry, and biology. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »
As you know, Micro, there are plenty of Muslims, many trained in the West, with advanced skills in mathematics, engineering, computer science, physics, chemistry, and biology. 

As you well know, the radical Islamists do not equal all Muslims or even the majority of Muslims. Or even the majority of Islamists.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »

Even if that was true, how on earth does invading Iran fix that? 
"Make peace, you fools"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
When have I advocated invading Iran?  I'm not.

Micro, you talk as if "radical Islamists" have no connections or support with major Islamic states.  You really believe that?  These, to you, are all unsophisticated freelancers within the Ummah?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2011, 11:17:31 AM »
Micro, you talk as if "radical Islamists" have no connections or support with major Islamic states.  You really believe that?  These, to you, are all unsophisticated freelancers within the Ummah?

Well, we do know that radical Islamic extremists had connections to and support from NATO countries and US-friendly Arab states when fighting in Libya...

We know that most of the 9/11 hijackers were citizens of a major US ally...

We know that the US was very cozy with the likes of OBL providing them intelligence, training and hi-tech (for the time) weaponry during the 1980's...

Sure Iran has connections with what could be considered Islamic extremists, but for the US Government to bring that out as justification for military aggression is just the pot calling the kettle black.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »
You are right, and far be it from me to whitewash the contributions of our adepts at State and Langley in FUBARing the situation.  We have often been our own worst enemy, but what has yet to be fully explored is who "we" really is when it comes to setting our foreign policy over the years.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.