Author Topic: Bored, Tired & Cranky  (Read 4107 times)

BillBlank

• friend
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
Get outside your house. Tickle a cat or a dog. Read a trashy wilbur smith novel in the woods on your sunday afternoon with a picnic lunch. Just get outside Smiley.

Unlike the others I do not recommend driving fast whilst low or p-eed off. Normally costs me about £2k in replacement panels if I do that lol.

If all else fails take joy in the misfortune and stupidity of others Cheesy.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 01:46:42 PM »
"Unlike others I do not recommend driving fast whilst low or p-eed off."

I'd agree on the p-eed off part, but getting out on my motorcycle is always refreshing. I especially enjoy pulling up at stoplights next to HD riders with their new bikes dripping with gee-gaws. They look at my old Springer, rev their engines, and I just nod. Then I leave them blocks behind.

If it would stop raining here in this damn city, riding would be possible.

Waitone

• friend
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 02:17:11 PM »
Dick, I gotta echo the walking suggestion.  It'll take a week or so to get ingrained in your patterns.  Walking clears the head, relaxes the mind, clarifies issues.  I started out with 30 minutes, now do 45, and will shortly move to one hour.  The most I can miss is two days before my head gets mushy again.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 09:09:20 PM »
Take it slow. Share a firm handshake or hug. Talk to someone else about it, then ask them how they are doing. Have or fake a genuine interest in minute interactions with other people. Make a list of all the things you are grateful for.

Open an encyclopedia or find one on the web and flip to a random page. Then start leafing through the "See Alsos." Build something.

But please don't try and rip the doors off my 4banger rice burner with the wind currents of your passing, because I'll just laugh at how it cost you about 20 dollars just to get up to speed. Haha have fun with that.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

CatsDieNow

• friend
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 04:41:43 AM »
But Winston - my motorcycle can only fit eight dollars (oh wait, it's eleven now) worth of gas in the tank.  Twice the acceleration at twice the MPG - heck yeah.  

Anyway, a motorcycle ride along my favorite route makes me feel better.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 12:41:41 PM »
Winston, I don't challenge riders of rice burners...usually. No way a Harley can keep up with them.

I did one time, though, and the guy lost his nerve. I guess going 85 mph down a city street was a little to hairy for him. (And, yeah, pretty stupid on my part).

Silver Bullet

• friend
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 09:37:59 AM »
Charby, lest we forget, an old English term for sex is "rutting" . . .
And, that particular expression gets the seal of approval from Firefly, being used in numerous episodes.

Speaking of which ... if you're bored, tired, and cranky, and you haven't yet seen the Firefly series ... get it and watch it !

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 11:02:48 AM »
Regarding riceboys and their riceburner toys...

Is it true the high-mounted wing on the trunklid, blue LED windshield washer nozzles, and Kanji stickers in the windows each add 10mph of speed to the total package?

You know you're a riceboy if:

... you find yourself using the excuse "yo, but you gots twice as many cylindas, dude" after EVERY race

... you drive a 4 door 'type R'

... you have stickers that even most asians don't get

... you have stickers for parts you don't even have

... you refer to 50hp as the 'big shot'

... your car has so much camber it can drive on its side

... when you drive by, WWII veterans run for shelter

... your exhaust tip diameter is 4 times the inner muffler diameter

... you have 'power by' anything anywhere on a car made by the engine manufacturer

... birds make nests on your spoiler because its taller than the trees

... you will only race if the other guy removes four sparkplugs

... you can't race uphill

... your exhaust system for your 1.8L is bigger than most Pro-stock cars

... you spent more money on stickers and stripes than your parents paid for your car

... you go to a performance shop and immediately start rummaging through the decal bin

... your tach is bigger than your head

... you have a shiftlight and your car is an automatic

... you refuse to race because it's a "show car"

... your only mods are cut factory springs and a 5" chrome exhaust tip

... at Autocross events you don't participate because you have a drag race setup and at drag events you brag about kicking arse on the autocross.

... your exhaust sounds like a dying Moose

... you have more lights on the front of your car than the USS Voyager

... you brag about a turbo kit that never seems to get installed.

... your bright green $300 air filter is bigger than your engine.

Cheesy

(Having sold my blown, big-block 580CID 8-second S-10 due to divorce just a few years ago, but she and her lawyer let me keep the Harley...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

...has left the building.

Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 12:39:34 PM »
Gewehr98- Funny stuff! But I don't have anything like that on my Honduh (which runs high 13's at the moment). I would gladly race your former S-10 in my car, but I'd have to pick the track...and I'd make sure that you had to turn sometime. Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 12:52:29 PM »
Charby,

The one thing that particular vehicle wouldn't do well is turn.  Spools in the narrowed 9-inch Ford rearend, and skinny dragster tires on narrow Weld wheels up front.  I almost considered setting up a differential braking system on the rear wheels, but even then the spools would cause problems.  Luckily, or not-so-luckily, my ex-wife took care of the problem.  Better in hindsight, because I probably would've been killed in the darned thing, 1000 dyno-rated hp to the rear Mickey Thompsons in a lightweight pickup isn't the safest thing in the world.  I took it to work a few times and my buddies discovered the NHRA mandated magneto cut-off switch mounted in the bed nearest the taillights.  Jokers, they were.  They strung soda cans from the wheelie bars, too.  Note the brick chocks under the wheels, tranny is out in this pic, shortly after I got the truck from Scott Pruett (Indy car driver):

The square thing under the truck is the 15 gallon fuel cell.  The fuel line, fuel filter and fuel pump are also visible.  The entire box is polished aluminum over a ChassisWorks back half frame, with the wheel tubs and rear wing visible. There was about 12" of clearance between the tubs.  The darned ignition cut-off switch is visible in the box just to the right of the left taillight.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 01:35:16 PM »
Too funny!!!!

Glad to see there are still young motorheads around. For awhile, I was afraid that the species had disappeared.

One thing that's always a pick-me-up is seeing a beater car with a big "Toyota" or "Chevrolet" or whatever brand sticker across the windshield. I look at that and think, "that guy made a concious decision to buy that sticker and take the time to apply it. And for what?"

When I was a young motorhead, I didn't have the money to build up any cars. So I added goofy stuff to it, like headrests that said "F***" on the back of the driver's rest, and "You" on the back of the passenger rest.

The police really seemed to like those. Wink

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 04:53:41 AM »
Dick

Yeah if I had extra cash and owned a decent sized garage I'd still have some hotrod sitting around, price of fuel has me worried. I have ben toying with the idea of picking up some old British iron or a Moto Guzzi and building a old school cafe racer.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

...has left the building.

Bored, Tired & Cranky
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 08:25:52 AM »
Quote from: Monkeyleg
Too funny!!!!

Glad to see there are still young motorheads around. For awhile, I was afraid that the species had disappeared.

One thing that's always a pick-me-up is seeing a beater car with a big "Toyota" or "Chevrolet" or whatever brand sticker across the windshield. I look at that and think, "that guy made a concious decision to buy that sticker and take the time to apply it. And for what?"

When I was a young motorhead, I didn't have the money to build up any cars. So I added goofy stuff to it, like headrests that said "F***" on the back of the driver's rest, and "You" on the back of the passenger rest.

The police really seemed to like those. Wink
This year I will be prepping my car to compete in SCCA A-Stock autocross. In my generation (early/mid 20's), the pistonhead tradition is alive and well!