Author Topic: A testament to American made products  (Read 13109 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: A testament to American made products
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »
Our 1995 Taurus is a tank!

Speaking of Fords, a buddy just sent me this!! Very, very impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4TshFWSsrn8&vq=medium
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2011, 11:35:19 PM »
I'm not sure about lockers, but I know chevy trucks in the 80s and 90s used to come with 'posi-trac' limited slip, which kind-of-sort-of worked, but the clutches wore out fast if you actually used it much.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
Our 1991 Suburban is over 220K now.  I think the engine and other mechanicals are going to outlast the body.  =|

Maybe I should try to find a good pickup cab for it, and build a flatbed ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 07:23:24 PM »
240,000 miles on a 97 Ford Ranger.  Annual property tax is $60.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
Our 1991 Suburban is over 220K now.  I think the engine and other mechanicals are going to outlast the body.  =|

Maybe I should try to find a good pickup cab for it, and build a flatbed ???
Around OH, there are more older Toyota trucks with treated lumber beds then those without!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2015, 08:10:34 PM »
How about some thread necromancy.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
Nice! 

Love that 7.3,  wish they still were an option.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
I gave some TLC to that F150 I mentioned in my post and it's now my daily driver. Still running strong.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:54 PM »
My $700 Saturn last month:

I'm somewhere past 303k now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
With a Ford, every mile, from first to last, is an accomplishment.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:51 AM »
My Smyrna, Tennessee, manuf 1997 Nissan ext cab pickup had 14 years and 185K miles almost trouble free until a nice old lady decided I needed new wheels and used her BUik to toal my Nissan.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 12:59:51 PM »
My Smyrna, Tennessee, manuf 1997 Nissan ext cab pickup had 14 years and 185K miles almost trouble free until a nice old lady decided I needed new wheels and used her BUik to toal my Nissan.

I had 250K on my 95 before I sold it to people who will buy cars that Americans won't. The drivetrain could have lasted twice as long. At one point late in its life, I had to replace the oil pan and cam cover gaskets- Everything that I saw on the inside still looked shiny and new.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 10:26:36 AM »
300,000 is pretty good. Still on all the original major mechanical components, like the turbo?

23,000 on my 6.7 and it is currently in the shop for replacement of the EGR cooler, a fault they found when trying to troubleshoot a mystery electronic gremlin that has been haunting the start system and back up camera. :(

I am really hoping that once these issues get sorted I have the truck for another 277,000 miles.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 11:14:21 PM »
I've had a few ford pickups and a full sized Bronco.  They were bullet proof other than leaking a bit of oil from the rear main.  The Ford 300 in-line 6 cylinder was in my view one the best engines ever produced.  I forget the year of the F-150 I had...early to mid 70's maybe.  It had 170K on it when I sold it and when it idled you didn't even hear it running.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2015, 12:18:01 AM »
I just gave up on my old Subaru last month at 247k.  :'(  Yes I could re-build the motor, no it isn't worth it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

griz

• friend
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »
I wish I had a vehicle that would go 300,000 MPH like the one in the photo.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 11:50:07 AM »
Just replaced the top motor mount, driver side dogbone and transmission mount in the Saturn.  Can't get the passenger side dogbone out without a right-angle impact or something similar to take off the shield below it.

Driving after that was pretty interesting; shifts are smoother, with a lot less fighting to get it into first, most of the noise I'd been attributing to the paper thin swaybar mount bushings (the ones on the frame, not the ones at the control arms, which have been replaced) is gone, and I can actually see lights in the mirror instead of wild patterns of lines that look like a psychedelic Spirograph picture.

The transmission side of the old mount moves freely 3/4 of an inch vertically and about a half inch to either side.  The top motor mount was worse.  Apparently, keeping stuff within an inch or two of where it's supposed to be helps the car work better.  I'm calling that $33 well spent.  Unfortunately, I also found what may be the start of a failing radiator flange.  (One drop of coolant on the floor after two hours, and it was damp under the flange, so found pretty early.)  That will be another $60-75, but will give me the excuse to drain the cooling system so I can swap in the water pump and thermostat I've had sitting around for a while.  Might try to time it all for a head gasket change, just because I know that can't be very new.  Maybe even spend the extra hundred bucks or so to replace the hoses and the radiator mount that I know is flexed a bit.  (Which could be the cause of the flange failing if that's stressing it.)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »
Just replaced the top motor mount, driver side dogbone and transmission mount in the Saturn.  Can't get the passenger side dogbone out without a right-angle impact or something similar to take off the shield below it.

Driving after that was pretty interesting; shifts are smoother, with a lot less fighting to get it into first, most of the noise I'd been attributing to the paper thin swaybar mount bushings (the ones on the frame, not the ones at the control arms, which have been replaced) is gone, and I can actually see lights in the mirror instead of wild patterns of lines that look like a psychedelic Spirograph picture.

The transmission side of the old mount moves freely 3/4 of an inch vertically and about a half inch to either side.  The top motor mount was worse.  Apparently, keeping stuff within an inch or two of where it's supposed to be helps the car work better.  I'm calling that $33 well spent.  Unfortunately, I also found what may be the start of a failing radiator flange.  (One drop of coolant on the floor after two hours, and it was damp under the flange, so found pretty early.)  That will be another $60-75, but will give me the excuse to drain the cooling system so I can swap in the water pump and thermostat I've had sitting around for a while.  Might try to time it all for a head gasket change, just because I know that can't be very new.  Maybe even spend the extra hundred bucks or so to replace the hoses and the radiator mount that I know is flexed a bit.  (Which could be the cause of the flange failing if that's stressing it.)

I'd still have my old pontiac if it werent for motor mounts. I replaced the second intake manifold at 240,000 miles, sold it at around 255,000 for cheap... motor and transmission mounts were too big of a pita for me to bother with.

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2015, 07:26:42 PM »
Can't get the passenger side dogbone out without a right-angle impact or something similar

This is next on my tool buying list for work. http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-2015MAX-Hammerhead-Profile-Ratchet/dp/B003V9P6RO

300,000 is pretty good. Still on all the original major mechanical components, like the turbo?

23,000 on my 6.7 and it is currently in the shop for replacement of the EGR cooler, a fault they found when trying to troubleshoot a mystery electronic gremlin that has been haunting the start system and back up camera. Sad

I am really hoping that once these issues get sorted I have the truck for another 277,000 miles.

As soon as she gets out of warranty, EGR delete, DPF delete. EGRs especially are the devil in a diesel.

I don't know how much of your own servicing you do...but 6.7s have a common rail fuel system that needs good clean fuel, so don't cheap out on your filters, try to buy from better fuel suppliers, and make sure filters gets changed at proper intervals.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2015, 08:48:24 PM »

23,000 on my 6.7 and it is currently in the shop for replacement of the EGR cooler, a fault they found when trying to troubleshoot a mystery electronic gremlin that has been haunting the start system and back up camera. :(

1 alternator
1 water pump
2-3 power steering pumps (its a ford thing)haha
don't know how many sets of pads a rotors.
all 4 calipers
1 front hub, recent
All the u joints these went at about 100k replaced with grease-able ones no problems since.
1 set of ball joints, these went at about 90k replaced with grease-able ones no problems since.
1 heater core
3 pairs of batteries
1 fuel pump
1 set of shocks, installed bilstines no problems since
1 set of front springs.
1 fuel filter housing, thing had a flaw in the casting that decided to start leaking
a few cam position sensors
1 sensor for something related to the turbo, can't remember
3 belt tensioner
1 IPR valve

I think thats it. How I remember some of this stuff is beyond me. Oh wait I have the scars from doing the jobs.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2015, 10:04:10 PM »
My pick-up has been running fine since the EGR cooler replacement. I still have that intermittent issue with the electronics, but have pretty much isolated it to a poor connection near the parking brake pedal. If I ride the brake up instead of just popping it I don't have issues. Now I just need to find time to get it in for a warranty repair.

I would like to do an EGR delete, but I really can't until the warranty expires. I bought an extended warranty (I know...) because this truck is going to be to dang expensive to perform repair work on while I am still making payments. I am an ok mechanic, but to do anything significant you start by lifting the body; I am not equipped to do this at home. I do stay on top of filters and fluids.

Never_retreat:
That all sounds like standard wear items, and not very many of them considering the miles that have been put on that truck. I hope mine gives me similar faithful service.

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2015, 09:17:48 AM »

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2015, 11:53:28 AM »
My pick-up has been running fine since the EGR cooler replacement. I still have that intermittent issue with the electronics, but have pretty much isolated it to a poor connection near the parking brake pedal. If I ride the brake up instead of just popping it I don't have issues. Now I just need to find time to get it in for a warranty repair.

I would like to do an EGR delete, but I really can't until the warranty expires. I bought an extended warranty (I know...) because this truck is going to be to dang expensive to perform repair work on while I am still making payments. I am an ok mechanic, but to do anything significant you start by lifting the body; I am not equipped to do this at home. I do stay on top of filters and fluids.

Never_retreat:
That all sounds like standard wear items, and not very many of them considering the miles that have been put on that truck. I hope mine gives me similar faithful service.

Is that one of the new aluminum ford trucks?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »
This is next on my tool buying list for work. http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-2015MAX-Hammerhead-Profile-Ratchet/dp/B003V9P6RO

Oh hell, I'd have had that dogbone out in less than five minutes with that...if I'd also not parked the forklift that was holding the engine up on the air hose.