Author Topic: Things you can't say anymore: No documented kill of a human by wolves in USA  (Read 14118 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Not rabies or starving or emotionally deprived, just wolves being wolves.

The story

http://www.adn.com/2011/12/06/2205617/dna-samples-confirm-wolves-killed.html

The Fish and Feathers Report

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/pdfs/wolfattackfatality.pdf

(I'm agin' the "kill 'em all" mindset but it sure is nice to slap a hippy in the face with reality once in a while.)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

brimic

• friends
But Grizzly bears wolves are just people with fur!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
But Grizzly bears wolves are just people with fur!

Yep, which is why it's so silly to think they won't eat you like the furless people will. =)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Perhaps the nutball from NJ thinks the wolves will just need people avoidance training as well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Uh? This isn't the first nor the third such incident in the United States.

El Comrade Wiki has a list.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

It is generally assumed to mean in the modern age. That last such incident in the United States not involving a pet is 1910 according to your link. (Also that "documented" is another weasel word.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend

You're a fer'ner so I'll fill in the blanks.  ;)

The unspoken caveat(s) among the wolf-idiots here in the states is "documented as killed and eaten by wild, healthy, unprovoked wolves".

Not domesticated or habituated to being fed, not starving (invariably due to humans destroying nature somehow), and not injured or infected with rabies (or other diseases).  They also discount reports that don't include ironclad proof from some "proper authority" of the above.  Most of the wiki list attacks are "pets", habituated, or are from long enough ago to be untrustworthy as they come from a time when wolves were being systematically eradicated and were not "sufficiently documented" by trustworthy authorities.

You'll see that even in the comments to the current story, "the wolves could have just fed on the body, it doesn't mean they did the killing..."

@makattak - great, now I seem all wordy   =D

MicroBalrog

• friend
You're a fer'ner so I'll fill in the blanks.  ;)

The unspoken caveat(s) among the wolf-idiots here in the states is "documented as killed and eaten by wild, healthy, unprovoked wolves".

Yes, and "bears do not attack people".

Does anyone take these idiots seriously?

They're big predators. You are made of meat. Do the math.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Yes, and "bears do not attack people".

Does anyone take these idiots seriously?

They're big predators. You are made of meat. Do the math.

Yes. Some people take these idiots seriously.

They're the kind of people who think Bambi was a documentary, though.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Can't help but think that would be a horrible way to die.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

I don't know if you've read any Jack London, but I think he correctly portrays just how terrible the fear leading up to the horrible death would be.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
In countries with wolves where carrying a gun isn't an option, go jogging with your Caucasian Ovcharka I guess.
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
Ironically, the odds are indeed higher that the gun used for wolf protection will involve a lethal accidental discharge than the odds a wolf will kill you.  If safety is your aim, proabably not the best way to go about it.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
Ironically, the odds are indeed higher that the gun used for wolf protection will involve a lethal accidental discharge than the odds a wolf will kill you.  If safety is your aim, proabably not the best way to go about it.

See if you can figure out why this is wrong.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
See if you can figure out why this is wrong.

I've already shot a number of deer, snakes, coyotes, porcupines, and gophers without shooting myself yet.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
Ironically, the odds are indeed higher that the gun used for wolf protection will involve a lethal accidental discharge than the odds a wolf will kill you.  If safety is your aim, proabably not the best way to go about it.

Show your math.

There are only about 600 lethal accidental shootings in the US per year total, last I checked.  Any occuring at home don't count for this comparison, nor those involving hunting accidents (as the weapon is not being primarily carried for predator protection), nor those occuring while carrying a gun primarily for protection against humans or in any areas where wolves are not present.

Hell, even granting you all instances of weapons being carried partly or mostly for wolf and bear and mountain lion protection, (since wolves don't exist anywhere one of the other two apex predators do not and no one carries "just for wolves" when bears or cats are also around), I'd say you'd be hard pressed to show an equivalence, much less a statistically significant higher level, of lethal misadventure than of successful use in defense, which is the proper comparison.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:59:31 PM by Matthew Carberry »

De Selby

• friend
I've done lots of dangerous things without killing myself - not under the pretense of improving my safety, though.  If a guy's actually worried about the risk of wolf attacks, he should probably be looking for a solution that overall lowers his risk of death...now if you like guns and want to spend time in nature dong things with them, taking one out (to wolf inhabited areas or elsewhere) is a smart move.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
Show your math.

There are only about 600 lethal accidental shootings in the US per year total, last I checked.  Any occuring at home don't count for this comparison, nor those involving hunting accidents (as the weapon is not being carried for predator protection), nor those occuring while carrying a gun for protection against humans or in any areas where wolves are not present.

Hell, even granting you weapons carried partly or mostly for wolf and bear and mountain lion protection, in places where one of those three predators live, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to show an equivilence, much less a statistically significant higher level of lethal misadventure than of successful use.

Uh, why don't accidents at home count?  You would presumably need to keep the anti-wolf weapon at home...but anyway, how does 600 lethal accidents compare to the number of wolf caused deaths?

That's several thousand percentage points higher I'd wager

MicroBalrog

• friend
I've done lots of dangerous things without killing myself - not under the pretense of improving my safety, though.  If a guy's actually worried about the risk of wolf attacks, he should probably be looking for a solution that overall lowers his risk of death...now if you like guns and want to spend time in nature dong things with them, taking one out (to wolf inhabited areas or elsewhere) is a smart move.

The thing is, using a gun is :

1) not dangerous (most of these 'gun accidents' are actually 'heinous gun stupidity')

2) useful against threats other than wolves.

The proper question is  to measure the risk of gun accidents vs. the risks of all of the things a gun helps you to protect from (wolves, robbers, carjackers, rapists, terrorists).

Certainly if you know there are wolves or coyotes in your geographical area, carrying a gun not only makes sense, but is the solution recommedned by many experts.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
Uh, why don't accidents at home count?  You would presumably need to keep the anti-wolf weapon at home...but anyway, how does 600 lethal accidents compare to the number of wolf caused deaths?

That's several thousand percentage points higher I'd wager

Again, that isn't a valid nor useful comparison.  The proper comparison is "number of lethal accidents occuring with guns being used for wolf (large predator) protection" to "number of successful uses of guns to defend against wolf (large predator) attack.  That's apples to apples.

With your position you might as well compare "all accidents involving guns owned that might be used for protection against wolves" to "having trees fall on you in the woods" as far as relevence goes. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
We all know that a Wolf can easily take the gun & use it on you itself, they're supposed to be smarter then tame dogs and every year there is a fresh case of a "domestic" dog "accidentally" shooting its master.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-shot-by-dog-dog-shoots-hunter-in-the-buttocks-20111130,0,7820602.story
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend

Source citation, please?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends

"Mr. DeSelby,  what you've just Posted... Is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

With apologies to "Billy Madison"  =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

"Mr. DeSelby,  what you've just Posted... Is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

With apologies to "Billy Madison"  =D

Like - With apologies to Facebook.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos

I agree.
The descriptions of what happened based upon the prints and blood that were found gave me the chills.

Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).