Author Topic: The Lost Drone  (Read 18516 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: The Lost Drone
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 10:02:38 PM »
Hell, if I were No-Such-Agency, I'd be ordering fake drones, and dropping/crashing them all over enemy countries. I'd fill them with all sorts of gonzo head-scratcher stuff, like a tube of magnets and wires where the jet turbine should be, tanks of liquid carbon dioxide, and fill it with fiber optics, and instead of microchips, have junk circuit boards with little crystals mounted in them that I'd gathered up from the Smithsonian gift shop's "box o rocks".  Add in a mix of fake squiggly alien writing on some of the parts too with a mix of bogus U.S. NSN's. >:D

It would be cool if we did something like that, but we're usually not that smart and devious.  The simplest answer, one of Occams's favorites, is that it's one of our drones, a real one.  It made a decent enough automated landing when control was lost that only the landing gear got mushed. And now the Iranians have it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »
Besides just jamming GPS, I'm sure that Russian/Chinese ELINT can produce false GPS signals. So I could see how they could force a drone down by making it think that it was constantly gaining altitude.

However, I think/suspect that the drones don't use GPS, or only in very limited circumstances. Modern INU's/laser gyros are very accurate, and such a drone probably also has a magnetic compass, air-pressure altimeter, maybe even a sun/star tracker system, or uses other beacon systems/frequencies it's operators provide, and all probably have to agree, or anomalous info is rejected.

If the landing gear got mushed a bit, I see that as nothing to hide. It's an amazing capture for them no matter what.

Although I've been thinking more about my fake "unobtanium tech" drones, and from the perspective of the Iranians, hell, even the Russians and Chinese, a real drone is almost as bad.  >:D

The best secrets are the software/firmware that control it, and presumably, the proper fail-safes and encryption are in place.

And as to advanced avionics, jet engines, and materials, the trick isn't knowing it exists, but how to produce it. Reverse engineering one of our drones is about as bad as a program to make one of your own from the ground up. Unlike the earlier days where the Soviets/Russians could copy basic airframes, like the B-29, or the B1B, and it would shave years off their development time, the devil these days is in the details.

They find that the drone has "impossible" composite X in it. It's the strongest of all, but far too brittle, but the Americans figured out some way to enhance it's flexibility, while sacrificing little strength. What does having a chunk of it in your hands tell you, other than, "Yes it's possible"?

Or that their analysis turns up that alloy Y, which is supposedly impossible to weld, was indeed welded for parts of the drone.

Our methods and processes are the best secrets, and those stay at home, even when a big pile of the end results crashes in some enemy country. Some big boring three ring binder full of checklists, QA/QC procedures, and flow charts sitting on a shelf at Boeing, or General Atomics etc. is probably a way more sensitive set of secrets than an entire stealth drone is.
I promise not to duck.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54:39 AM »
We have a saying in the intel world, "It isn't the information that is classified, it is the source."
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
Drones are micro-surgery.  They are not going to remove the cancer.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
As stated earlier, blocking/jamming the signal I would believe.  Hijacking the encrypted control connection and taking over control I will not believe.  You simply do not break modern encryption.  Iranians or any other government could never break into an encryption scheme that I could implement, or any other half-way decent programmer, so don't believe for a second that anyone could break into an encryption scheme that the government would bake into their drones.

Jam the control signal? Who cares.  Autopilot back home safely.  I doubt that they are being flown manually most of the time anyway.
Jam GPS?  So what.  My PHONE has accelerometer and gyroscope-assisted GPS that can stack vectors accurately for minutes during a GPS outage.  I don't believe for a second that a drone can't do the same thing and a hell of a lot more accurately for a lot longer time.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

birdman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
Our methods and processes are the best secrets, and those stay at home, even when a big pile of the end results crashes in some enemy country. Some big boring three ring binder full of checklists, QA/QC procedures, and flow charts sitting on a shelf at Boeing, or General Atomics etc. is probably a way more sensitive set of secrets than an entire stealth drone is.

Yup.  Speaking from experience at building various things of a similar bleeding edge nature, even if you have the plans, and specs, there is a huge learning curve to get to a functional product, even to the point of inventing tooling along the way.

However, from a perspective of exploiting vulnerabilities, loss of the devices is bad, as even if one can't reproduce it, measurement of material properties and design might allow vulnerabilities and/or countermeasures to be developed, at which point, the edge is lost, even if it's not duplicated.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
Look at China. They've been buying fighter plane engines by the hundreds from Russia - and every year they plan to "Develop" their own. And then the year after they come to Sukhoi and ask to more engines.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »
Look at China. They've been buying fighter plane engines by the hundreds from Russia - and every year they plan to "Develop" their own. And then the year after they come to Sukhoi and ask to more engines.

Yes, and the raised rivets on their "stealth" prototypes really give them a retro-futuristic flair that neither the Russians or Americans seem capable of duplicating.
I promise not to duck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
News is reporting that someone familiar with drones is saying that it is a phony; a mock up.  Says it's the wrong color.   [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 11:13:16 AM »
News is reporting that someone familiar with drones is saying that it is a phony; a mock up.  Says it's the wrong color.   [popcorn]

I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 11:34:26 AM »

[tinfoil]  Photoshop .... ..... ..... right?  [popcorn] ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »

If so then why did an "official" say it was ours?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
If so then why did an "official" say it was ours?

Even if it's a mock-up (the original was badly damaged...?). the Iranians (and now the rest of the world) know what it looks like.

( I did have to wonder about the green flying saucer  =| )
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
[tinfoil]  Photoshop .... ..... ..... right?  [popcorn] ;/

The Iranians did a missile test a few years back, and shopped the image and added a few more launches by simple copy paste. There was much jockularity.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
If the drone is real, why was there no self-destruct feature that was activated when it crash-landed?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:12:42 PM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
I can't really talk about this !  I'm in a EWO slot for the Army.

I will say this thou ........

Iran has acquired allot of electronic warfare technology, from china and Russia!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
Soooo.... If that's supposed to be a US RQ-170* stealth drone.... why is it covered in 90 degree angles?

ETA:*
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:37:29 PM by kgbsquirrel »

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:33 PM »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »
Soooo.... If that's supposed to be a US RQ-170* stealth drone.... why is it covered in 90 degree angles?

ETA:*
I thought drones were stealth due more to size than angles and paint?

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2011/1215/Exclusive-Iran-hijacked-US-drone-says-Iranian-engineer

Not an expert, so I have no idea what to think about their claims.
Seems reasonable to me.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »
I thought drones were stealth due more to size than angles and paint?
Seems reasonable to me.

You are correct.
The original F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter (Have Blue) had a radar cross-section about the same size as a 1" ball bearing.
Rolling that ball bearing across tables at the Pentagon was exactly how Ben Rich and Kelly Johnson sold the original program.
Angles, broken surfaces, diffused engine exhaust, etc. were the cause of such a small cross section.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 02:23:20 AM »
You are correct.
The original F-117 Nighthawk stealth fighter (Have Blue) had a radar cross-section about the same size as a 1" ball bearing.
Rolling that ball bearing across tables at the Pentagon was exactly how Ben Rich and Kelly Johnson sold the original program.
Angles, broken surfaces, diffused engine exhaust, etc. were the cause of such a small cross section.
Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting.

This suggests that the drone is legitimate:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204770404577082822643123332.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
I remember a lot of leaks re: Bin Laden, too. Has Obama made any efforts to muzzle these highly-placed blabbermouths?

Then again, it could've been Biden.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:40:39 AM by Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas »

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
You are welcome, Zardoz.

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Have_Blue

Here is Ben Rich's book: http://www.amazon.com/Skunk-Works-Personal-Memoir-Lockheed/dp/0316743003/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324042424&sr=1-1

I bought the book when it came out, and it is fantastic! Highly recommended!
Ben Rich was Kelly Johnson's right-hand man @ Skunkworks, and spent his entire career there.
The book also covers the SR-71, and a lot of other Skunkworks projects.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 12:44:53 PM »
An over-reliance on drones is symptomatic of what's wrong with our foreign policy.  War from the armchair.  Clean, remote, impersonal.  To Obama it's a way of fighting without really fighting, or pretending that he's tough when he's not, dealing with the underlying political and military problems when he's really not.

Believing our enemies (and their allies) are stupid and primitive is foolish.  Hey, many of them were educated in our best institutions.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
An over-reliance on drones is symptomatic of what's wrong with our foreign policy.  War from the armchair.  Clean, remote, impersonal. 

I would argue that this attitude predates President Obama, and probably accurately reflects the wishes of the American people.  Especially since WWI, we have preferred to spend money on technology to save American lives.  In recent years, the distaste for using American troops in unwinnable situations seemed to really crystallize after the situation in Somalia and Blackhawk Down.  Heck yes we prefer using drones rather than having Americans killed.  I would rather see my taxes buy drones and Hellfires than to ship American troops back home in caskets.

Obviously, remote warfare is not the preferred approach in all situations, but where it is a realistic alternative, sign me up as supporting that over throwing Americans into a meat grinder.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
I would argue that this attitude predates President Obama, and probably accurately reflects the wishes of the American people.  Especially since WWI, we have preferred to spend money on technology to save American lives.  In recent years, the distaste for using American troops in unwinnable situations seemed to really crystallize after the situation in Somalia and Blackhawk Down.  Heck yes we prefer using drones rather than having Americans killed.  I would rather see my taxes buy drones and Hellfires than to ship American troops back home in caskets.

Yes. Clinton didn't have drones, so he had bombers in Serbia dropping their loads at 16,000 feet to avoid US casualties. The problem was the number of civilians killed because of the lack of precision from that altitude.