Author Topic: OWS Protestors to Shut Down West Coast Ports Today  (Read 7808 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
OWS Protestors to Shut Down West Coast Ports Today
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:57:54 AM »
Or at least try to. It will be interesting to see how this turns out and what the reaction is. I'm thinking it may fizzle, but if they actually were to shut down or impede multiple ports, in most instances that's considered a national security threat. I'll be interested to see if they are coddled, or handled as a threat. Also, if they actually managed to impede commerce (doubtful), they're more likely going to inconvenience the "99%" who are wondering why the made in China Christmas present they ordered for little Jimmy hasn't arrived yet.  It appears the unions are distancing themselves from this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/12/occupy-protesters-seek-to-shut-down-west-coast-ports/#ixzz1gJHDSWJc?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: OWS Protestors to Shut Down West Coast Ports Today
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
They're going to shut down ports and deprive union dock workers of work time? I wonder how that will play out?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »
I got $20 on dockworkers turning "Occupy Wall Street" into "OWWIE Wall Street"
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
I got $20 on dockworkers turning "Occupy Wall Street" into "OWWIE Wall Street"

That is bet that I don't think anyone on here would be willing to take.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 01:40:39 PM »
50 50 on how the unions will go
some of those boys make real money too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »
Yeah, I have this picture in my head from "On The Waterfront", with Stanley Kowalski beating some of them, and Johnny Friendly shooting the others. Can't figure out where Karl Malden fits in, though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:41:13 PM »
Jennifer Aniston was really hot in that movie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »
In Oakland, it looks like they were partially successful.  About half the berths are temporarily shut down and 150 longshoremen were sent home for the day:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/12/BAJK1MBE5E.DTL

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
I heard a news story on the radio that said truckers who are paid by the load and who weren't able to unload were confronting the OWS jerks, and weren't exactly happy about losing money.

Wouldn't truckers be amongst the 99%?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »
I still think our once great country is on the verge of a Civil War of sorts.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 03:53:57 PM »
I still think our once great country is on the verge of a Civil War of sorts.

More of an enema, than a Civil War.   :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
>Wouldn't truckers be amongst the 99%?<

Depends. Do they work for a company, or are they owner/operators?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
They were mad about losing money while their trucks were idling, so they were probably owner/operators. The company drivers I know only make money off their miles, though. If they're sitting, they're not earning.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »
Jennifer Aniston was really hot in that movie.

HA!  :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:39 PM »
Heh, Neil Cavuto has a one on one with a port occupier spokesperson:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1323887189001/?test=faces
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »
Maybe we can have fistful give them pepperoni.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

bscl

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 02:25:01 AM »
So the fools are trying to shut down the lifeline to Hawaii and Alaska?  I guess that they're fortunately not as "99%" as they claim to be, otherwise people here would be stockpiling rice and toilet paper. 
Life Member NRA, SAF

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:27 AM »
I propose a law that anyone willfully blocking a public roadway and does not possess a proper parade/march or event permit from the responsible municipality in question, they can be run over with full immunity from any criminal or civil penalty, as long as the driver is obeying all traffic laws in question.

I promise not to duck.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
I delivered a load across the road from Portland's Terminal 6.  T-6 was closed, reportedly with the full cooperation of the unions and Port Police, by about 50 clowns with the same artwork as is pictured in the linked article.  Due to the half dozen camera crews with microwave link vans, I refrained from expressing myself when many of the demonstrators attempted to engage me with hand signals. ;)
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
... I refrained from expressing myself when many of the demonstrators attempted to engage me with hand signals.

What, you left your M4 at home? ;)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
What, you left your M4 at home? ;)

I delivered a load across the road from Portland's Terminal 6.  T-6 was closed, reportedly with the full cooperation of the unions and Port Police, by about 50 clowns with the same artwork as is pictured in the linked article.  Due to the half dozen camera crews with microwave link vans, I refrained from expressing myself when many of the demonstrators attempted to engage me with hand signals. ;)

No kidding on the M4... there were only 50 or so.  Start from 200 yards out and change mags as needed. :lol:

Kidding.  Wouldn't want the Portland parks and sidewalk crew need to clean the filth out of the gutters.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 02:04:10 AM »
That's what they made truck grills for.  =D
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:57 AM »

An interesting article ...

http://townhall.com/columnists/michellemalkin/2011/12/14/port_whine_big_labors_occupunks

"Aging Big Labor bosses toasted one another from the sidelines as they declared the "rebirth of the labor movement." What's really going on? It's an old-school power grab by a decrepit union wrapped in self-deluded social media do-goodism."

"It's about one union losing its seven-decade-old grip on West Coast port operations. It's about six-figure-salaried union suits at the ILWU, established by bloody radical Marxist Harry Bridges, throwing a lawless tantrum against economic efficiency and technological progress."

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/americas-port-truck-drivers-respond-to-occupy-the-ports.html

check this caca out  the letter allegedly written by a truck driver
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
http://www.care2.com/causes/americas-port-truck-drivers-respond-to-occupy-the-ports.html

check this caca out  the letter allegedly written by a truck driver

Must have a degree in something ending in "Studies"...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth