Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84560 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
Working on it, so I can actually just mail folks a key that lets them into the guest room but not my house and garage proper.  You won't want to visit until I finish the room anyways.  Unless you want to sleep on concrete slab.
LOL I've selpt worse places ;)

As have I.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52:00 PM »
LOL I've selpt worse places ;)

Any fly fishing around your parts?

Yes ish. Best fishing is in the northern parts of PA, roughly 2 hours northwest around State College or Raystown Lake, IMHO.

Oh, and I'm inventing a new APS Meme.....

Meanwhile, at Rev's house

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/09/04/lots-of-bicycle-locks_e88ZA_17340.jpg

Ah.  Interesting challenge, I suppose?  If those are the model I'm thinking of, would only need one or two Bic pens to open them.  I do plan on buying two doors, putting cuts in both so they can form an X, and outfitting them with a few dozens different door knobs, bolts, et al. Practical practice pieces.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
Yes ish. Best fishing is in the northern parts of PA, roughly 2 hours northwest around State College or Raystown Lake, IMHO.

Ah.  Interesting challenge, I suppose?  If those are the model I'm thinking of, would only need one or two Bic pens to open them.  I do plan on buying two doors, putting cuts in both so they can form an X, and outfitting them with a few dozens different door knobs, bolts, et al. Practical practice pieces.

Ah I've been up there, fished penns creek a few years back.  Beautiful country.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2012, 04:12:49 PM »

Serious question, how the heck do I clear over an acre of thick brush, small trees, leaves and (@$&$@ ivy in the best, easiest way possible? I'm thinking machete and steel rake, unfortunately.

(Yes, that means no "detcord", "flamethrower", etc)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:08 PM »

Serious question, how the heck do I clear over an acre of thick brush, small trees, leaves and (@$&$@ ivy in the best, easiest way possible? I'm thinking machete and steel rake, unfortunately.

(Yes, that means no "detcord", "flamethrower", etc)

brush hog on a small tractor.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
Nick has your answer.  Should be able to find someone to do it for you rather inexpensively.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »
goats
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
goats

Actually, not an unreasonable suggestion. They're are landscaping services that bring a herdof goats to graze a property.

Goats can take out a lot of vegitation very quickly, but don't destroy grass like sheep. The don't rip it up by the roots, but crop of the top.

It may take a bit longer then tradition rip it out and be less fun too folks with destructive joys, but would leave a more natural landscape behind.
Besides, goats are fun to watch.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:18 PM »
Controlled burn?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2012, 12:48:58 AM »
I keep threatening my wife that we'll get goats to help keep the blackberries in check at our place.  And an Anatolian to keep the coyotes/bears/cougars from eating the goats (before I do  >:D).

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
Goats can take out a lot of vegitation very quickly, but don't destroy grass like sheep. The don't rip it up by the roots, but crop of the top.

Just the tip!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

birdman

• friend
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
When you do wiring...my suggestion (what I'm gonna do in my home) modular wall plates in as many places as possible (several per room) with at least:
Duplex LC
Cat5e/6 (two)
Coax-F
Two blanks
Wire with cable in-tube, one used for the above, one empty with pull cord

Any room with media, throw in an extra plate with hdmi and MTP (12 fiber to media/computer closet)

Pre-wire with cat6, fiber, coax

At least one independent 20A circuit per room for power (multiple for rooms with potential for higher loads)

Three phase to office and work rooms (plus normal)

There, future proofed for at least a few years--worst case, ANY current link type has media converters to run over fiber.

Can you tell I HATE running wire through existing walls?
Also (on my home wish list)
Media/computer closet with breakouts for all of the above, separate closet for UPS, both semi-hardened and shielded with physical disconnect and surge isolators on all copper
(preferably in separate room as part of "safe" room)
multiple servers with automated fail-over. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2012, 08:43:21 AM »
^^^^ What, no Faraday cage room lined with copper mesh?  Wave hello to the black helicopters for me!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:39 AM »
^^^^ What, no Faraday cage room lined with copper mesh?  Wave hello to the black helicopters for me!

You mean the dark green helicopters, right?.... ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
When you do wiring...my suggestion (what I'm gonna do in my home) modular wall plates in as many places as possible (several per room) with at least:
Duplex LC
Cat5e/6 (two)
Coax-F
Two blanks
Wire with cable in-tube, one used for the above, one empty with pull cord

Any room with media, throw in an extra plate with hdmi and MTP (12 fiber to media/computer closet)

Pre-wire with cat6, fiber, coax

At least one independent 20A circuit per room for power (multiple for rooms with potential for higher loads)

Three phase to office and work rooms (plus normal)

There, future proofed for at least a few years--worst case, ANY current link type has media converters to run over fiber.

Can you tell I HATE running wire through existing walls?
Also (on my home wish list)
Media/computer closet with breakouts for all of the above, separate closet for UPS, both semi-hardened and shielded with physical disconnect and surge isolators on all copper
(preferably in separate room as part of "safe" room)
multiple servers with automated fail-over.  

Not in the current house.  It's job is to be habitable for 3-6 years (5 planned) until I pay off the entire property.  Then yes, I will do a tear down and replace, and will likely do my own wiring runs.  Probably pay a buddy electrician to bless the install.

For wiring, I'm still debating but honestly Cat6/coax/HDMI 1.4 SHOULD cover everything.  Probably dual cat6, for installing a VOIP system.  And be flexible enough to cover future needs. As for fiber, meh. Internally, no. I doubt I'll build a house large enough for Cat6 limitations to apply. Between portions of the property, maybe. Will try like a demon to put in channels, sleeves or pipe for the cabling. And yes, they'd all run to punch down blocks for ease for reconfiguration. Grounded metal pipes are preferred, obviously, but I'm aware of PVC piping with minimal grounded shielding around it (basically a giant cat5 cable).

Fiber is a PITA to deal with, and only has the advantages of distance and EMI resistance. If the equipment on either end isn't shielded, EMI advantage is near nill.  If the equipment is < cat6 distance apart, distance advantage is near nill.  We'll be using cat6 for a LONG time.  It easily handles 10Gb ethernet and I suspect will be able to handle 100Gb ethernet in another 5 years. If I have requirements for more than 100Gb ethernet, I need to either bundle ports or build a dedicated structure for said requirements. Sure, it is future proofing the place, we both know a century from now, they'll STILL be making Duplex LC media converters. Just too much of it buried in concrete or through the countryside to ignore.

I'd give a lot for 3 phase, but I have a feeling it won't be offered at my property and/or hideously expensive (as in hundred thousand plus) to run it to my property.  I don't make that kind of cash, and it'd be cheaper to rent/purchase a small workshop in an industrial area with a 3 phase feed already.

I'd love that kind of setup. I've sketched up virtually the same exact rig AND priced it out. Except mine would have a flywheel rig to act as an airgap and quasi UPS. My wallet just can't hack it unless I'm willing to overleverage myself. Which is the opposite of what my current financial planning is accomplishing.

^^^^ What, no Faraday cage room lined with copper mesh?  Wave hello to the black helicopters for me!

...  First off, that is the "radio frequency isolation and testing room". (Sadly, birdman or I would likely use it for that purpose too...) And second off, I'd probably be able to identify the pilot and curse him or her out for still owing me a case of beer.  Third off...  Ah, wait, damnit, seeker beat me to it.

=D

Yanno...  I'm not sure if it says something or not, but does anyone else find it interesting that the military-industrial geeks tend to have the same ideas?

brush hog on a small tractor.

Gotcha, will try to locally source someone with that rig.  Timewise, I suspect it'd reduce the clearance work to maybe 5-10% of what it'd be to clear it all by hand.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:31:38 AM by RevDisk »

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2012, 12:49:55 PM »
If you have any decorative or fruit bearing plants (blackberries, raspberries, etc) you can probably get people to pay you to let them dig them out.  If it were reasonable and you were in my area, I would.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
If you have any decorative or fruit bearing plants (blackberries, raspberries, etc) you can probably get people to pay you to let them dig them out.  If it were reasonable and you were in my area, I would.

Not that I am aware of.  There is a berm of bushes that I haven't identified yet.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
I'd give a lot for 3 phase, but I have a feeling it won't be offered at my property and/or hideously expensive (as in hundred thousand plus) to run it to my property.  I don't make that kind of cash, and it'd be cheaper to rent/purchase a small workshop in an industrial area with a 3 phase feed already.

The solution to that is a rotary phase converter.  Inexpensive, even to buy outright, and CHEAP to build yourself.  This is how I run 460V three phase in my residential shop.  In a pinch, a static phase convert will work, but I personally prefer the true three phase legs offered by a capacitive balanced RPC.  Motors run cooler.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »
So, there I was, browsing Amazon for books on some landscaping projects. I noticed that there are generally two types of books on landscaping.  This is mostly pertaining to retaining walls, which is a project I am researching.  One is fluffy picture laden books with some but not much "how-to" information and generally no engineering principles. More often than not, they are thinly veiled ads for a particular product. Second is engineering reference material that doesn't touch that much on "how-to" and plenty of reference material. Those engineering reference books are what I'd love to have, but run to about $200-400 a pop.

So I'm cursing and pondering where I can get my preferred blend of "How the heck do I actually build a retaining wall, and know enough engineering to make sure it's properly RevDisk-grade-overkill to last a while?"

Then it dawned on me.  Combat engineers need to do retaining walls. And unlike most commercial construction, I've seen "temporary" structured built by the Army Corps of Engineers last over 70 years. And it's the bloody Army.  There is a TM, FM or EM for everything.

Aw yea!

EM 1110-2-2502   Retaining and Flood Walls
http://publications.usace.army.mil/publications/eng-manuals/em1110-2-2502/entire.pdf

Supplemental guides

TM 5-818-4   Backfill for Subsurface Structures
http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/tm5_818_4.pdf

TM 5-803-13  Landscape Design and Planting
http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/tm5_803_13.pdf

TM 5-818-8  Engineering Use of Geotextiles
http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/tm5_818_8.pdf

TM 5-818-1  Soils and Geology Procedures for Foundation Design of Buildings and Other Structures
http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/tm5_818_1.pdf

TM 5-809-12  Concrete Floor Slabs on Grade Subjected to Heavy Loads
http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/tm5_809_12.pdf

Good news, excellent free references that cover everything I want in thorough detail.  Lot of reading to be done, but that's cool with me. It'd be cheaper/quicker to hire someone to do it, but I care more about the learning process.  Apparently the "new" army is trying to get away from printing these out, and I haven't found a great source for printed FMs/TMs/EMs unrelated to mall ninja interests.  I want to legally buy them, not have them "fall off a truck".  The Government Printing Office has a handful of field manuals for sale, but not many.

https://dol.hqda.pentagon.mil/ptclick/index.aspx is the ordering form, behind a AKO/CAC wall.  Bypassing it would be unethical, so if any folks with a CAC or AKO do find a way of ordering unclassified unlimited distribution FMs/TMs/EMs for personal usage, I am willing to pay for the books, shipping and a bonus on top of all that.  

Worse case, I will buy a sturdy laser printer and print them out myself.

General sources of engineering manuals:

Army Corps of Engineers Technical Manuals
http://armypubs.army.mil/eng/

Army Corps of Engineers Engineering Manuals
http://publications.usace.army.mil/publications/eng-manuals/

US Government Construction Criteria Base (ie, the motherload)
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/ccb.php

Geotechnical Engineering
http://www.geotechlinks.com/fe.php

(Aside note, if you want to discuss another FM (most likely explosives or whatnot), please start a thread on it. Trying to keep this to a home improvement thread for easy reference.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:15:45 PM by RevDisk »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
Rev, give me a day or so to research this and how I can get this done.

Biggest issue on ordering maybe that they will have to ship to a unit address and when that happens who knows where the hell they are going to wind up.  Unless someone else can do it for you sooner, I would rather be stateside before starting this.  I don't have a problem doing this for you if I can do it.  But the first thing is I have to apply for an account on that site.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
Rev, give me a day or so to research this and how I can get this done.

Biggest issue on ordering maybe that they will have to ship to a unit address and when that happens who knows where the hell they are going to wind up.  Unless someone else can do it for you sooner, I would rather be stateside before starting this.  I don't have a problem doing this for you if I can do it.  But the first thing is I have to apply for an account on that site.

Very much appreciated! No rush, honest. If it takes months, that's no biggie. Obviously, I have the manuals in question. I just prefer hardcopy for my reference material. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »
Very much appreciated! No rush, honest. If it takes months, that's no biggie. Obviously, I have the manuals in question. I just prefer hardcopy for my reference material. 

If it's for the purpose of portability and readability while working on actual said project, how about buying one of the cheaper e-ink readers and loading all the .pdf's up on that?
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2012, 02:51:16 PM »
If it's for the purpose of portability and readability while working on actual said project, how about buying one of the cheaper e-ink readers and loading all the .pdf's up on that?

Will sort of do this. I plan on procuring a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and will stock it with my very large cluster of useful PDFs.  e-Ink readers do not display engineering illustrations very well.

I know it sounds odd, as I'll likely use the PDF version more than the paper... But I just have a deep seated preference to HAVE the reference on paper even if I never really use it.  Call it a psychological quirk.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
No need to explain. TEOTAWAKI's happen.

I promise not to duck.