Author Topic: A Home for RevDisk  (Read 84568 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: A Home for RevDisk
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
No need to explain. TEOTAWAKI's happen.

Na, that's handled too. Solar charger for tablet.

Already do that for the Dell netbook I have. Not enough juice to run it live, but charges just fine. Bought generic off evilBay
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Na, that's handled too. Solar charger for tablet.

Get a USB charger. You'll be able to use it to charge the Galaxy, and any other USB devices you have.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »
Get a USB charger. You'll be able to use it to charge the Galaxy, and any other USB devices you have.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
When you build the new place:
http://hiddendoors.com/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »

Last weekend's work.  The smaller trees were also cut down.  May not look like much, but the leaves, branches, etc I removed was about the size of a small SUV.  I need to loosen up the top soil, plant grass and even out some of the ground. It's not level or graded, kinda random terrain.

Assuming I can find a decent local vendor (heh, I work in the construction industry now, not a problem), I want to edge the driveway with a very nice grey stone and red brick.  Well, part of it. I'm keeping the street visible part of the driveway "stock".  Only improvements are out of LOS.  

=D

Sometime next month, a buddy might stop out to do surveying of the property.  Staying away from working on the probable edges of the property until I know what they are. Plan on getting my hands dirty with some simple walkways and patios before I start engineering some solid retaining walls. Plus I need to learn the permitting process and the limits of what I'm allowed to do.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:40:34 AM by RevDisk »

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »
Looking good Rev.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Them little ones just hit them in the roots with a grub axe and pop them out of the ground, no need to cut.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
Looking good Rev.

Yep, will be. Looking at New Holland Concrete to source a lot of stone and brick.  I like the grey/red. Starting off small with edging the drive and doing a small patio. 

Them little ones just hit them in the roots with a grub axe and pop them out of the ground, no need to cut.

More fun to use a sword.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »
A question?

Retaining walls, walkways and grass are nice... But will there be some gardening or bushes or something living to go with it?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »
A question?

Retaining walls, walkways and grass are nice... But will there be some gardening or bushes or something living to go with it?

Eh, eventually. No point in putting in gardening or bushes until all of the other stuff is done.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
Eh, eventually. No point in putting in gardening or bushes until all of the other stuff is done.

And bodies, uh, fertilizer is put down.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2012, 10:41:32 AM »
Might not be a bad time to bury some large capped pipes and wiring for "future use", like the fougasse a-la James Wesely Rawles "Patriots/Triple-Ought" novel.

Lay them down in a decent defensive pattern, and just seal them up, then they're available if need be. Seems to me finding the pipe and wire and burying it all after SHTF would be the hard part, rather than just going out one night, digging down a foot or two, and sliding in some propellant, and some scrap steel etc. 

And AFAIK, there's nothing illegal about empty pipes and un-used wires buried on your property, as long as they're not filled with anything or hooked up to anything.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
And bodies, uh, fertilizer is put down.

I suspect I will have to put down fertilizer.  Decaying leaves cause nitrogen issues in the soil.

Might not be a bad time to bury some large capped pipes and wiring for "future use", like the fougasse a-la James Wesely Rawles "Patriots/Triple-Ought" novel.

Lay them down in a decent defensive pattern, and just seal them up, then they're available if need be. Seems to me finding the pipe and wire and burying it all after SHTF would be the hard part, rather than just going out one night, digging down a foot or two, and sliding in some propellant, and some scrap steel etc. 

And AFAIK, there's nothing illegal about empty pipes and un-used wires buried on your property, as long as they're not filled with anything or hooked up to anything.

Ayep, very familiar with fougasses.  55 gallon drum at a 45 degree angle, few detcord loops around the lid, going to a single brick of C4.  I don't think I'll be needing those at my current residence, and could easily wire them if I did. I am already sketching out the wiring for my low voltage lighting arrays, so the wire would already be run.

Concealment is more important than static defensibility. More or less normal looking house is probably better than a poorly constructed "castle", if you have a proper number of defenders.  I'd have enough infantry and combat engineers on hand if necessary.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
Follow the advice of St. Benson. Build a secondary concealed shelter on the property.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »
I suspect I will have to put down fertilizer.  Decaying leaves cause nitrogen issues in the soil.

Ayep, very familiar with fougasses.  55 gallon drum at a 45 degree angle, few detcord loops around the lid, going to a single brick of C4.  I don't think I'll be needing those at my current residence, and could easily wire them if I did. I am already sketching out the wiring for my low voltage lighting arrays, so the wire would already be run.

Concealment is more important than static defensibility. More or less normal looking house is probably better than a poorly constructed "castle", if you have a proper number of defenders.  I'd have enough infantry and combat engineers on hand if necessary.

if you have oak trees a soil test is good  i hada put down tons of lime  literally
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »

if you have oak trees a soil test is good  i hada put down tons of lime  literally

Ayep.  Planning on doing a soil test.  And half a dozen other field tests listed in the Combat Engineer field manuals.

Filled two pot holes in my driveway with a couple hundred pounds of QUIKRETE High Performance Blacktop Repair (No. 1701). Broke the handle on the cheap Chinese tamper. I may have been using it a bit roughly, but any tool of mine that can't be used roughly doesn't deserve to live anyways.  Used the metal section of the tamper to tamp into rough shape, laid down plywood, and drove over it a few times. Good enough. Once it has a chance to settle a bit, I'll lay down something around the edges of the patches.  Technically should have chiseled out the areas into squares, but this was a quick fix that should be good enough until I repave the drive.

More clearing work.  Now that the "easy" raking is done, now it's attacking the ground with a metal rake and yanking out the vines by hand to get as much of the roots out as possible. Terraforming, baby. Also found a general contractor to handle the couple of plumbing issues, and maybe do some of the odds and ends. Could do those myself, but eh, I don't mind. Guy has kids and he could use the cash.

I like it. 12 years of sacrifice, hard work, long hours, etc etc. All for an old house and plenty of dirt. Working the soil has a very odd sense of satisfaction. It feels cleaner than basically every other work I've done thus far. Can't wait to start laying down stone. It may take years, but this place will shine.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »
It may take years, but this place will shine.

So....you're going with the radar-reflective coating after all.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
Question for you guys. Am pondering a "WWIII: Gnome Warfare" motif for front garden. Specifically, Gnome Liberation Army on one side with Soviet standard fortifications (with partisans[1]), and US Army Gnome Corps on other side with US Army doctrine on the other.  

Too insane?

[1]: Front pour la Libération des Nains de Jardin (FLNJ) and Movimento Autonomo per la Liberazione delle Anime da Giardino (Malag) "pro-gnome" paramilitary groups, aided by the Gnomos De Jardin Sin Fronteras (Garden Gnomes without Borders) and Free the Gnomes (FTG) NGO's acting as feeder networks.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:16:22 AM by RevDisk »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2012, 07:25:58 AM »
Question for you guys. Am pondering a "WWIII: Gnome Warfare" motif for front garden. Specifically, Gnome Liberation Army on one side with Soviet standard fortifications (with partisans[1]), and US Army Gnome Corps on other side with US Army doctrine on the other.  

Too insane?

[1]: Front pour la Libération des Nains de Jardin (FLNJ) and Movimento Autonomo per la Liberazione delle Anime da Giardino (Malag) "pro-gnome" paramilitary groups, aided by the Gnomos De Jardin Sin Fronteras (Garden Gnomes without Borders) and Free the Gnomes (FTG) NGO's acting as feeder networks.

For you, or for people in general?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #194 on: March 24, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »
Mix it up....have the Gnome Commandos out there with a few animal statues....paint bullet holes & claw wounds as desired....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #195 on: March 24, 2012, 07:58:13 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2012, 12:38:56 AM »

For you, or for people in general?

Ah...   For me.  If normal people can't accept it, screw em.

So
much
win

Thought of you today. Stopped by a buddy's place to drop off cash for new pump.  We then explained the state of the house to another buddy. Basically that the place is perfectly laid out for parties.  Said mutual friend offers to invite her friends over for said party, whips out phone, and pulls up Facebook friend list.  Did not know mutual friend parties with former Playboy models.

We both grab paper and furiously start working out numbers.   "so, if we don't sleep or eat, we can  have the place ready and hot tub installed in 36 hours straight."

Kidding, of course.  We'll schedule it for a couple months from now.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2012, 02:02:01 PM »

Pleasant couple hours of clearing. Thorn bushes and vines slowed down work dramatically, plus removing rock to make easier cart transportation.  Have a six foot high wall of brush and trees over to the left. Clearing all of the smaller trees myself as well as all leaves and underbrush. Have an associate that can help me with the larger trees.  Will do soil samples in the four corners of the property (overkill but I'm not worried) to see what I have to do to prep the soil.

LOTS of rock. Which I'll repurpose to a temporary retaining wall, which I'll cut into the soil a couple feet in from the current drop off.  Started cutting in a ramp in the right corner of the photo. Not sure of the expensive involved, but I'd really love to put down 6 inches to a foot of top soil due to the heavily rocky terrain in the back and perhaps up front for a more picturesque front lawn/garden. I'd also like to better grade some sections of the property for more optimal drainage and usability.  I'll do raised bed gardening once I have the layout of the property more under control. 

Any recommendations on a lawn tractor?  It'd be handy for moving large stones, moving soil around and whatnot.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:31 PM »
Any recommendations on a lawn tractor?

John Deere 955. I like the 70A loader instead.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!