Author Topic: End of the World?  (Read 4497 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
End of the World?
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
So now they are smuggling butter out of Russia.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/2011/12/12/norway-butter-shortage-threatens-christmas-treats

What is this world coming to? Norway needs indispensable products smuggled in from Russia.
Anyone with a cow or goat can make their own butter, and cash in at $500 a lb. sheesh.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Re: End of the World?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
If there is a shortage like this, you can almost guarantee it is due to:
1.  Taxes
2.  Regulations (internal and external)
3.  or Both. 

#3 is most likely. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »
Our customs agents look for illegal aliens, cocaine, heroin, marijuana, while Norway's look for . . . butter.   :facepalm:

You can't make this stuff up . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »
Supply not keeping up with demand.  Those N. European countries really protect their local dairy producers from imports.  Sounds like production was down due to a rainy year, demand was up by 30% and imports are probably non existent.   

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:51:25 PM »
Live by protectionist legislation, die by protectionist legislation.  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
Live by protectionist legislation, die eat dry toast by protectionist legislation.  =D
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »
So now they are smuggling butter out of Russia.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/2011/12/12/norway-butter-shortage-threatens-christmas-treats

What is this world coming to? Norway needs indispensable products smuggled in from Russia.
Anyone with a cow or goat can make their own butter, and cash in at $500 a lb. sheesh.
Norway is just a couple of hours away from me. And no butter shortage here =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:51:11 AM »
Monkeyleg, Cosine, and Brimic...

I have a business proposition to discuss.  =D
I promise not to duck.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
If there is a shortage like this, you can almost guarantee it is due to:
1.  Taxes
2.  Regulations (internal and external)
3.  or Both. 

#3 is most likely. 

Basically. A coop called Tine has a near-monopoly on dairy products in Norway, and Norwegian dairies are protected from outside competition by high tariffs on imported dairy products.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:01:08 PM »
Our Viking does have a smuggling background and has nothing but time on his hands.... 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 11:53:49 PM »
Our Viking does have a smuggling background and has nothing but time on his hands.... 

Yes,

And between the Wisconsin and Illinois residents, we know a little something about butter (and butter substitute) smuggling.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »
Im thinking a Wisconsin sub orbital butter driver
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
Butter stock up while you still can.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 03:54:18 PM »

I'm imagining Viking snorting lines of imitation creamer used to cut the goods, while blowing up his illicit dairy funded mansion with an M203, while dairy product cooperative operatives with cheap automatics are being cut down in droves.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
Two Swedish guys got arrested by Norwegian customs after trying to bring in quarter of a ton of butter to Norway. They had planned on selling it for $100 per kilogram. I'm sure there are small roads to Norway where there aren't any customs officers:laugh: [popcorn].
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 06:49:08 PM »
Can Norwegian butter junkies claim asylum in the E.U.?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
I'm sure there are small roads to Norway where there aren't any customs officers

So, you know another whey  ???    ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
Basically. A coop called Tine has a near-monopoly on dairy products in Norway, and Norwegian dairies are protected from outside competition by high tariffs on imported dairy products.
My mistake.  I did forget to include monopoly or lack of competition.  I was thinking more about local regulations that prevent more dairies from opening or existing ones from expanding.  Having a near monopoly and lots of tariff protection means you have a bunch of producers who like the idea of shortages so they can charge more. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 10:24:56 PM »
My daughter said to write, "how can you tell if an elephant has been in your refrigerator?....  By the foot prints in the butter!"  The only joke she knows and she tells it often.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 12:39:47 AM »
How can you tell if there's an elephant in the bath with you?

--You can smell the peanuts on his breath.