Author Topic: Washer problem  (Read 1383 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Washer problem
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:13:18 PM »
Since appliance expertise is running rampant here, I thought I'd ask.

My wife directed my attention to a problem this morning. The thingy that sticks up in the middle of the washer (what is that called, anyway?) is misbehaving. It is made up of two parts, and the lower part turns and stops, like it normally should. The part on top of that is supposed to be turning with it in one direction by means of some internal ratchet,  but is not. There is some grinding noise coming from it.

How does such a thing come apart? Can it be fixed, or do I need to replace some ridiculously large chunk of the washer?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
Re: Washer problem
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
It's the agitator. Sounds like the dogs are worn out inside of it. Some of them come apart and you can replace the pieces some of them you have to replace the whole agitator.

Got a model number?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Damn agitators, always making trouble... I hope this one  isn't a communist agitator. :D

It's a Roper RAX7245BW0

Thanks!
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
or do I need to replace some ridiculously large chunk of the washer?

Yes.  It's the part called "the washer".  :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
"Roper RAX7245BW0"

Kill it. Kill it with fire. Kill it with firearms. Doesn't matter. I've never seen a Roper washing machine that's worth the trouble of fixing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 04:14:38 PM »
"Roper RAX7245BW0"

Kill it. Kill it with fire. Kill it with firearms. Doesn't matter. I've never seen a Roper washing machine that's worth the trouble of fixing.

Makes me wonder about user error....  :lol:

To remove, pull the fabric dispenser straight up, plastic cap under that has two pull tabs to pull straight out. Center screw, 1/2" IIRC and you can pull the whole agitator out. Dogs are a shake out and drop back in the right place type of thing. You may have to hold your mouth just right to get the bolt restarted.

Just dogs. 80040 about $4.00

Cam kit w/dogs 285811 about $20.00.

Shipping is a killer on small parts. You might what to see if you have an appliance supply near you.

jim

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:05:16 PM »
Ropers are generally good, entry level appliances. But once they start to go wrong, it's very hard to get ahead of them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
I took a look where you said, and it looks like the dogs are grabbing, but can't hold on. Seems like a simple thing to fix. We have a big appliance parts dealer in town, I will check there.

Robert A Heinlein

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
Hit Dey Distributing today. The kit was $22 out the door. Took all of five minutes to fix. Looks like the replacement piece is a little different and comes with an extra part. Also, it's Whirlpool-branded. Fits fine, though.

Thanks!

Robert A Heinlein

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 02:11:59 AM »
I wish I would have known you were close to Dey. That will call order would have screwed them up.

jim