Author Topic: Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights  (Read 9369 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:20:58 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-feds-arpaio-violated-civil-rights-164947314.html

PHOENIX (AP) — The federal government issued a scathing report Thursday that outlines how Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office has committed a wide range of civil rights violations against Latinos, including a pattern of racial profiling and discrimination and carrying out heavy-handed immigration patrols based on racially charged citizen complaints.

The civil rights report said federal authorities will continue to investigate complaints of deputies using excessive force against Latinos, whether the sheriff's office failed to provide adequately police services in Hispanic communities and a large number of sex-crimes cases that were assigned to the agency but weren't followed up on or investigated at all.
No surprises here. Joe always loved the media attention. Be careful what you ask for...

CD, I am sure that this makes your day!  =D
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Feds say Arpaio violated civil rights
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
Meh.

Obama and Napolitano hate Joe.  This is politically motivated.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:29:49 PM »
"Scathing report" means nothing.  Either prosecute him, or get off the pot.
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
state courts don't like him much either
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2011/12/joe_arpaio_racial_profiling_ca.php

http://immigrationmexicanamerican.blogspot.com/2011/04/arpaio-loses-district-court-judge-david.html

hes lost hundreds of suits in statecout

or tv shows
Improper clearance of MCSO cases

Reports show that, under Arpaio, the MCSO may be improperly clearing as many as 75% of cases without arrest or proper investigation.[49][50][51][dead link][52] The sheriff's office has failed to properly investigate serious crimes, including the rape of a 14 year old girl by classmates,[53][54] the rape of a 15 year old girl by two strangers,[55][56] and the rape of a 13 year old girl by her father.[55][57][dead link] These cases were "exceptionally cleared" without investigation or even identifying a suspect in one case which are not in accordance with the FBI standards for exceptional clearance.[55][58] The case of the 15 year old girl, the case was closed within one month and before DNA testing was even complete, the 13 year old's because her mother did not want to "to pursue this investigation," and the 14 year old's because a suspect declined to come in for questioning.[53][55] In a statement to ABC15, the Sheriff's Office claimed, "The Goldwater Institute’s report cites the FBI’s Uniform Code Reporting handbook, which is a voluntary crime-reporting program to compile statistical information and reports. The UCR is not intended for oversight on how law enforcement agencies clear cases...The Sheriff’s Office has its own criteria for clearing cases."[59]

In an interview on the ABC Nightline news program, when asked to explain why 82 percent of cases were declared cleared by exception, Arpaio said "We do clear a higher percentage of that. I know that. We clear many, many cases -- not 18 percent." Nightline contacted the MCSO after the interview and was told that of 7,346 crimes, only 944, or 15%, had been cleared by arrest.[60]

and look at how well it works!

In 1998, Arpaio commissioned a study, by Arizona State University criminal justice professor Marie L. Griffin, to examine recidivism rates based on conditions of confinement. Comparing recidivism rates under Arpaio to those under his predecessor, the study found "there was no significant difference in recidivism observed between those offenders released in 1989-1990 and those released in 1994-1995."[67]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Meh.

Obama and Napolitano and C&SD hate Joe.  This is politically motivated.

Sorry, I had to fix it for ya.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
i am amazed  joe does this

On July 23, 2004 SWAT served a search warrant looking for "a stockpile of illegal automatic weapons and armor-piercing pistol ammunition" that they believed was hidden at an upscale home. In the course of serving the warrant, multiple tear gas cartridges were launched into the home. The result of which was the home catching fire. During the fire, SWAT forced the homeowner's 10-month-old pit bull puppy back into the home with a fire extinguisher, causing the dog's death. It was reported that the officers laughed over the incident. Also, the armored personnel carrier used during the assault ran over and damaged a neighbor's vehicle when its brakes failed. Police recovered two weapons; one antique shotgun; and one 9mm pistol. Both weapons are legal to own in Arizona. After failing to find illicit weapons the police served an arrest warrant for the owner who was also wanted on a misdemeanor warrant for failing to appear in Tempe Municipal Court on a couple of traffic citations.[

and gets backing from folks who would be talking tar feather and rails if anyone else did it. 

http://www.lyricstime.com/living-colour-cult-of-personality-lyrics.html
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
state courts don't like him much either
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2011/12/joe_arpaio_racial_profiling_ca.php

http://immigrationmexicanamerican.blogspot.com/2011/04/arpaio-loses-district-court-judge-david.html

And these are, of course, well-refereed bastions of journalistic integrity. ;/
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

• friends
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:03:30 PM »
feel free to refute those cases or any of the hundreds of other cases hes lost in state and federal court.  use as large type as you need too.  its quite effective

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
i am amazed  joe does this

On July 23, 2004 SWAT served a search warrant looking for "a stockpile of illegal automatic weapons and armor-piercing pistol ammunition" that they believed was hidden at an upscale home. In the course of serving the warrant, multiple tear gas cartridges were launched into the home. The result of which was the home catching fire. During the fire, SWAT forced the homeowner's 10-month-old pit bull puppy back into the home with a fire extinguisher, causing the dog's death. It was reported that the officers laughed over the incident. Also, the armored personnel carrier used during the assault ran over and damaged a neighbor's vehicle when its brakes failed. Police recovered two weapons; one antique shotgun; and one 9mm pistol. Both weapons are legal to own in Arizona. After failing to find illicit weapons the police served an arrest warrant for the owner who was also wanted on a misdemeanor warrant for failing to appear in Tempe Municipal Court on a couple of traffic citations.[

Waco standoff, in miniature.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
good analogy  just wonder what is it that makes the same folks who" zomg! the gun grabbing atf bastages!!" give joe so many mulligans

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I never was much of a Joe fan ...

County jail is mostly where you hold folks for trial, not a place for torture and punishment and humiliation.  A work camp out in the desert for serving sentences might be all right though.

About ten years ago when I was staying in a hotel for work, I was pretty weirded out by their local Maricopa County Sheriff TV show   :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 07:58:30 PM »
i was once a fan. then reality once again slapped me straight

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »
Joe's an asshat and should be fired, if not tossed in his own jail.

He's a grandstanding, civil-rights-bashing attention whore.

And yes, that's how I really feel.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
County jail is mostly where you hold folks for trial, not a place for torture and punishment and humiliation.  A work camp out in the desert for serving sentences might be all right though.

Buddy of mine served time there. Actually, the tent city is apparently more laid back and nicer than most prisons. According to the other inmates, also the easiest place to score drugs. No walls mean you can throw the drugs over the fence.

Very easy time, I'm told.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »
Regimes like Obama's bring out Joe Arpaios.

There are rational and legal ways to deal with the illegal immigration invasion, but when you have government that goes rogue on this issue you are going to end up with a certain number of renegades with badges. 

Anyone who seriously bucks The Invasion is going to end up, while the current types are in power, as de facto enemies of the state.  I don't think anyone is too surprised that the Feds finally came down on this troublesome rebel.  We can expect a lot more of this so long as Obama and his DOJ are around.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
Regimes like Obama's bring out Joe Arpaios.

O Rly?  Care to point to any others that didn't exist well before Obama?

Chris

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
No one said Obama's brand of tyranny was original.  What's your point?

Mine is that we have had a tacit policy of ignoring illegal immigration for at least 25 years, and that eventually people are going to react to the embrace of lawlessness, and, in fact over-react.  If the Federal Government--and this was as true under Clinton and Bush as it is under Obama--enforced the rule of law and obeyed the wishes of the American citizenry, we would not have guys like Arpaio playing fast and loose with his tactics.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 01:35:51 PM »
joes buffoonery and egomania predates obama a good bit

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »
Buddy of mine served time there. Actually, the tent city is apparently more laid back and nicer than most prisons. According to the other inmates, also the easiest place to score drugs. No walls mean you can throw the drugs over the fence.

Cheap winter vacation ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 02:40:12 PM »

No wonder; Bush was also weak on illegal immigration.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
keep going back.... and keep trying

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
Well, the tent city part of it might be that way, dunno.

I caught a segment of MSNBC's "Lockup" that was featuring an indoor section of the jail. There was a scene where multiple prisoners were gathered in a room, I think the cafeteria at meal time, seated at tables, followed by the jail's "Special Response Team" storming the area to conduct a surprise contraband search. I took particular issue with the method in which the SRT entered and 'gained compliance': They basically did a dynamic entry into the room with no warning, and immediately upon entry, fired an ALS Technologies "Bore Thunder" flashbang/distraction round out of a 12 gauge shotgun. Now, reportedly this round produces a "175-182db concussion" upon firing (typical .308 rifle being, what, 160db?). And they are in a fairly small, entirely enclosed room with flat metal and concrete surfaces. Clearly, exposure to blasts like that will cause permanent hearing loss and tinnitus.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOv37gjEbE&lc, raid starts at 0:45)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:09:28 PM by HForrest »

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhOv37gjEbE&lc, raid starts at 0:45)
The SRT chick has more tats than the prisoners. I thought you were supposed to cover that stuff up in LE.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »
The SRT chick has more tats than the prisoners. I thought you were supposed to cover that stuff up in LE.

You'd be surprised how many LE and military members have tattoos.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

When it comes to buffoonery and egomania I'll put Clinton, Bush I and II, and Obama against Joe Arpaio anytime.  Too bad it doesn't stop there but rises to the level of outright treason.  The day will come when those who kept our borders open and defied the rule of law and the will of the American people will not be getting a pass for their betrayals.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.