Author Topic: The Droid-Rootin' Thread  (Read 1062 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Droid-Rootin' Thread
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:28:03 AM »
I am thinking about rootin' the old Droid, and I know there be plenty of web sites on this topic. Which have yous guys found useful?

Thank you please.

(Droid X, Verizon)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: The Droid-Rootin' Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:51:33 AM »
I am thinking about rootin' the old Droid...

That sounds like something vulgar.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:15:42 AM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:28:03 AM »
That sounds like something vulgar.
.....that involves mayonnaise......and gerbils.........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
I am thinking about rootin' the old Droid, and I know there be plenty of web sites on this topic. Which have yous guys found useful?

Thank you please.

(Droid X, Verizon)

Number one piece of advice. If you want to root, DO NOT ACCEPT ANY "OTA" (over the air) UPDATES FROM YOUR CARRIER. Choose "no", "later" or whatever for any kind of prompt your phone gives you to update itself from the carrier's network. This can prevent you from rooting your phone for as much as six months to a year, while the Android open-source community figures out a workaround for the latest updates to make rooting for your model and Android/carrier version rootable again.

http://www.xda-developers.com/

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

http://androidforums.com/

Note, read... read... then read some more.

Read the FAQ's, and read people's problem threads. View the information about Android OS version numbers and phone models. Each new release of Android OS customized by each phones maker and the carrier usually blocks previous methods used to hack and root their phone. So again, don't accept or apply any updates.
I promise not to duck.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »
There's not much rooting them gives you.  Wireless tethering without your carrier's permission is a handy plus, but that's about it.

The real power in getting root is being able to slam a new ROM onto the phone.  That's where things get fun.  My original Droid is getting 2.0-2.5x the runtime out of a single charge with Cyanogenmod 7.0.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:52:40 PM »
There's not much rooting them gives you.  Wireless tethering without your carrier's permission is a handy plus, but that's about it.

The real power in getting root is being able to slam a new ROM onto the phone.  That's where things get fun.  My original Droid is getting 2.0-2.5x the runtime out of a single charge with Cyanogenmod 7.0.

Double the runtime? Elaborate on this magical wisdom, please.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »
There's not much rooting them gives you. 

I'd be happy if it would just quit with the random reboots. And if the map would quit telling me my location is temporarily unavailable. I had this idea that rooting would give me a little more control over my phone, that's all.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:51:43 AM »
Double the runtime? Elaborate on this magical wisdom, please.

After rooting, you won't have the eleventy bazillion factory installed apps that you don't use running and constantly synching and updating in the background.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?