Author Topic: Leaking Washing Machine?  (Read 5497 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Leaking Washing Machine?
« on: December 17, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »
I have an old hand-me-down washer and dryer set that my grandparents gave to me when I bought my house 2 years ago.  Whirlpool, probably 15+ years old.  Been working fine.  Grandparents just wanted nicer and more energy efficient ones that were quieter in their little retirement home.

I just washed my comforter tonight, on the largest wash cycle it can run.

I wound up with perhaps 4-6 ounces of water on the ground just in front of the washing machine.

Intrigued, I transferred the comforter to the dryer, and started a load of sheets, this time on "medium" capacity.

The puddle expanded perhaps another 1-2 ounces.

I'm thinking that the first puddle was due to exceeding capacity of the machine and some sort of internal chamber was over-filled somehow during the first run.  And the growth of the puddle during the second run (sheets on medium) was actually just residual water somehow draining out of the machine.

I see no leaks on the drain hose or the incoming water fittings.  There's no standing puddle under the machine.  Just a slight trickle that is even with the front of the machine.

I'm going to write it off to weirdness due to the comforter being too large for the machine... but does the APS pool o' appliance wisdom see this as a symptom of an impending appliance failure?  I'm not familiar with how this might have leaked, and it's such a small amount that it doesn't seem to be coming from a fitting anywhere.  Though I assume there must be a pump somewhere in the bottom/back of the washing machine to get the expelled water up-hill through the drain pipe in the wall.  I guess a fitting could come loose there somehow.

I just bought a new dishwasher this month.  I'd like the washer and dryer to make it another year.  I want to install a whole-house water treatment system before buying new washer and dryer.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jim147

• friends
Re: Leaking Washing Machine?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 02:17:50 AM »
Planned on being asleep a few hours ago. That didn't work.

I might be from the comforter. The water can splash up from a large load and fill the tub ring up. It can leak out some of the water on the next load.

A 15 year old Whilpool will have a pump on one side of the motor and a coupling to the transmission on the other. Easy to check for a leak. Pull it out from the wall a little and lean it back. Should be able to see  everything from underneath.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
With all the problems with household appliances lately this seems timely.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
I'm thinking those involve lot's and lot's of maintenance...but....nice.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 01:06:54 PM »
Shouldn't they be wearing white, like other appliances?
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:39:17 PM »
You jinxed me AZ...my utility room had water an inch deep in it a little while ago.  Sitting here googling Sears washers right now.  Not the way I planned on spending the day.

NickySantoro

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
OP,
Getting back to serious, it could be something simple such as a crack in the pump housing. Had that on my mother's machine some years back. Easy DIY. Pump was cheap and accessible. If it's a leak in the drum, you're likely best to just replace a machine of that age. Can you get the back off or lay it over and check for signs of water from underneath?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
I've run 3 more loads since the comforter.

No leaks.  Just an overload.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!