Author Topic: THR bashing....  (Read 9044 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
THR bashing....
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2006, 07:04:35 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
I'm totally lost. You were gunkid?
Hmmm - should I string him along?  One of those rare times I want to use an evil smiley.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SpookyPistolero

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2006, 07:09:53 PM »
Wait, there's an ignore function on THR??
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Strings

THR bashing....
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 07:14:10 PM »
I've noticed both THR and TFL have kinda gone down in the signal to noise department. Rich actually started the "Clownie Award": the first foolish waste-of-badnwidth post he'd see in L&P on any given day, that user would get banned. Somehow, even with THAT hanging over folk's heads, things have gotten worse...

Not sure what the solution is though: don't want to just start massive bannings...

HForrest

THR bashing....
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 07:56:40 PM »
My opinion is that the best way to keep things a little more 'elevated' on THR is to just ignore, for the most part, all the kids.
While I like to think I'm not an annoying dumbass at 16, I understand how one could view the adolescents on THR as rambunctious, idiotic fight-starters. I see how such an idea starts when a 14 year-old logs on and posts something like "ZOMGhow do u make a machinegunz?!111" or "Mr. Loud Guns" signs up (remember that little *expletive deleted*bag?) and tells us about his totally cool .50 BMG rifle. I do think, however, that the more seasoned youth posters on THR are respectable, intellegent, and can contribute to the community as much as any adult.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
THR bashing....
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2006, 08:06:16 PM »
Yeah I'm with comby womby there. Started posting at 15. Got friendly respnses. Met some personalities that stayed with me through the years.

THR's just too big for me now.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

SpookyPistolero

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »
I suppose I use the term with a broad range of connotations, since I myself am of the ripe old age of 23. There are a whole lot of folks my age and younger on THR for whom I have a lot of respect.

Didn't know about the 'clownie award' either, Hunter. It's surprising that it didn't have much effect on weeding out the 'tards. Or maybe not...
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Strings

THR bashing....
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2006, 09:00:37 PM »
heh... almost seemed like some were competing for it, tell ya the truth!

Not sure I'd want the job of mod on either forum. The pagan forum I mod on has been a cake-walk: NOBODY really causes trouble there (been a mod for three years now, and I've had to step on ONE person). Only real issue we have is spam bots...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
THR bashing....
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 02:48:02 AM »
Just thought I'd mention I was just over at THR and at 7;30 a.m. east coast time there were 145 viewing GD and 60 viewing L&P. IMHO that's just monstrous if you stop and think about it. Oleg and the gang have created a monster. shocked

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Art Eatman

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46:41 AM »
There's a helluva lot of difference between being young in years and childish in behavior and thought-process.

The only problem a lot of young folks have is that they just haven't had time to accumulate the mileage and experience of Old Farts.  And a lot of Old Farts accumulated the mileage but without paying attention along the way.  Face to face, it doesn't take long to figure out what some person's all about, but on the Internet all you have is what's typed.

So, I just go by the internal logic of somebody's argument, and whether or not there is consistency over a period of time...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Declaration Day

• friends
THR bashing....
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2006, 05:53:38 AM »
I first realized THR was going downhill when I called someone on their rudeness, and other members jumped on me for not "being a man and taking it".   I said sorry guys, there's nothing manly about being a jerk OR tolerating jerks.
   Everywhere you go, you'll find people who don't understand the value of treating others with respect.  All I can suggest is that you not interact with them, and try your best not to be like them.

cosine

• Administrator
THR bashing....
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 11:41:11 AM »
Quote from: Preacherman
We've taken certain steps, like issuing warnings to some of our more blatant offenders, and will probably be doing a large-scale prune of the worst of them in the not too distant future.
Uhoh. I better lay low and stay off the radar for a while. Tongue
Andy

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
THR bashing....
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »
I know Art.  If I had more self control, I'd be fine.  My problem is that I like responding to incredibly stupid things that I just can't ignore.  Unfortunately, the people that write the incredibly stupid things also usually are the same people that aren't the most civil.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
THR bashing....
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2006, 04:29:57 PM »
I, too stopped posting nearly as much.

I read some, but rarely post.

Too much BS.  Without sounding like an ass-kiss, I don't know how the mods do it.  I couldn't.

I tend to post more here, now.  I find that this is sort of the "old THR".

Same people, and occasional gun thread, not as many newbies with useless comments.  The "Good" ones tend to find their way here.

I have an 18 month old, I don't have time for BS.
One day at a time.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
THR bashing....
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2006, 06:23:32 PM »
My time is pretty valuable these days since I don't have any to spare. I had pared my THR usage down to subscribing to the L&P forum so I could see threads on the latest legislative action going on. The bashing got so bad that I couldn't even wade through the emails anymore.

I limit my 'net usage to checking in here a couple of times during the day and on one gun forum that has an equally small and tight knit group as we have here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
THR bashing....
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2006, 07:03:40 PM »
Quote from: garrettwc
one gun forum that has an equally small and tight knit group as we have here.
Hey, can I play?  I just want to share my uninformed gun opinions and then hurl invective at the dirty Glock-lovers and such-like.  Please?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Art Eatman

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 05:10:02 AM »
Balckburn, if folks would just learn to use the word "some" when talking about misdeeds of law enforcement people, we wouldn't have to use the term "bashing".  some of our  more cretinous creatures, however, take one event and try to make us believe that it is representative of "all" LEOs.

Generally, the bashing comes from folks whose style and tone of commentary indicates that they're extremely  interested in their self-defined rights and have no interest in any sort of responsibility for the consequences of their behavior.  I limit this to those who bash; there is a distinct difference between bashing and discussing.  Neither I nor any of the cops of THL condone bad behavior on the part of LEOs.

However, note that a commanlity of bashing in general--illegals, liberals, cops, Mexicans, gays--is that the posters speak of any such group in an all-inclusive manner.  Again, the key word is "some".

My opinion about some Smiley of these guys is that if their IQ ever hits 50, they oughta sell.

Art

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
THR bashing....
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 05:48:19 AM »
"Generally, the bashing comes from folks whose style and tone of commentary indicates that they're extremely  interested in their self-defined rights and have no interest in any sort of responsibility for the consequences of their behavior."

And from a subclass of that group that apparently believes that their rights are the only rights that exist.

In a situation that demands that their rights be balanced against the rights of another individual? No one else has any rights, so (^&()()&*% them and the horse they rode in on.

My favorite member of that subclass is the individual (Mr. My Rights are Absolute) who wants absolute license to do anything/everything he wants on his property without regard for his neighbors, but god forbid one of those rightless carbon blobs do anything that might even marginally annoy Mr. My Rights are Absolute.

They're the individuals who just can never quite comprehend that the Founders didn't write the Constitution just for their personal use, or that the Founders never considered any right to be absolute.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Art Eatman

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 07:29:48 AM »
Amen, Mike.

doczinn

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 07:47:00 AM »
And then there are those of who believe our rights are absolute, and so are those of everyone else. But you conveniently forget the second part, don't you? Makes it so much easier to pretend to be on the metaphorical high road.

Rights do not have to be "balanced against the rights of another individual." If there is a conflict someone is in the wrong. If we're talking property values, then you don't have a right to live next to a house, owned by me, that looks the way you think it should look. Of course, if by buying the house I voluntarily placed myself under contractual obligation to follow the rules of the HOA, then doing whatever I want to that house is no longer a right.

But you seem like the type who claims a "right" not to be offended by what color I paint my house, or where I park my car.
D. R. ZINN

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
THR bashing....
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:24 AM »
Hey, can I play?  I just want to share my uninformed gun opinions and then hurl invective at the dirty Glock-lovers and such-like.  Please?
Sure, if you don't mind confining all your posts to things related to 1911 pistols.

http://forum.m1911.org

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
THR bashing....
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2006, 07:53:08 AM »
They're the individuals who just can never quite comprehend that the Founders didn't write the Constitution just for their personal use, or that the Founders never considered any right to be absolute.
I'm guilty of bashing HOA's, a pet peeve of Mike's.  I freely and openly confess to doing so, but only because I've lived in, and will continue to live in locations where neighbors still have common sense and display courtesy for each other.  Evidently that may be a rare quality amongst homeowners, and the HOA may indeed be a necessary evil when the former qualities are lacking.  Luckily, that's not the case in my little slice of the world, including the small farm homestead I'm putting a bid on right now.  But I'm not one to declare my rights are exclusive to the detriment of other's rights - no way.

However, I am curious about that statement about the Founders never considering any right to be absolute.  How would that fit in with the 2nd Amendment?

As for the prevailing mood at THR, I've throttled way back on my discussions there.  I'll read the forums,  maybe contribute a little here or there, but definitely stay out of Legal and Political.  It gets nasty in there.  Lord forbid somebody mention Massad Ayoob, it'll degenerate quickly, and if DNS shows up to shred Mr. Ayoob, it doesn't take long for the mods to lock it down.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
THR bashing....
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2006, 08:41:40 AM »
"But you conveniently forget the second part, don't you?"

Here's a conceptual clue, Doc.

No, I didn't forget the second part.

Know why?

Because those people who believe that everyone's rights are absolute aren't the bastard arseholes I'm talking about.

Notice the dichotomy that I laid out in my post?

The "Me God, you fecal matter of the lowest order" stance taken by some people as a defense of their rights?

"Rights do not have to be "balanced against the rights of another individual." If there is a conflict someone is in the wrong."

So, in other words, you agree with the Supreme Court that speech defined as hate speech isn't a protected right under the First Amendment? I suppose that's why courts have been struggling with that particular issue for going on 40 years now.

"However, I am curious about that statement about the Founders never considering any right to be absolute.  How would that fit in with the 2nd Amendment?"

While the framers gave us the 2nd Amendment, some of the framers also gave us laws that restricted possession of firearms in some states. Free slaves, for example. Free men under the law were forbidden from owning firearms in a number of states. There were also laws in some states early on that prohibited possession of firearms in churchs. Both would appear to be, on their face, infringements on the 2nd Amendment.

"I freely and openly confess to doing so, but only because I've lived in, and will continue to live in locations where neighbors still have common sense and display courtesy for each other."

That's certainly a noble aim, one which I hope you're able to achieve. What happens, though, when you finally land in your dream home and in a year or two you get a new neighbor who decides to open a pig farm, a smelter, or some other incredibly invasive activity on his property, one that could likely have a dramatic impact on the value of your property? At that point, whose right in property is absolute? And yes, the right of personal activities on private property is one that shows up repeatedly in the courts.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2006, 09:23:23 AM »
What happens, though, when you finally land in your dream home and in a year or two you get a new neighbor who decides to open a pig farm, a smelter, or some other incredibly invasive activity on his property, one that could likely have a dramatic impact on the value of your property? At that point, whose right in property is absolute? And yes, the right of personal activities on private property is one that shows up repeatedly in the courts.
My grandmother had to deal with something like this.  She lives in rural NC, outside of Goldsboro (Air Force folks will recognize this as the home of Seymore Johnson AFB).  A couple decades ago, a guy started a turkey farm across the main road from her house.  It was at least 200yds away and wasn't an eyesore, but the smell was quite potent at times.  Keep in mind, she had been at this location for nearly 30years prior to this guy showing up.  Because he had a "right" to use his property as he saw fit, should she leave her home of 30 years in order to accomodate his wishes?

FWIW, the "suburbs" have been growing out in their direction and are now nearby.
Also FWIW, the farm shut down recently.  I have no idea why.  The smell remains, though at a reduced level.

I personally have no problem with people trying to use their property as they see fit, but good neighbors try to live in harmony with people around them and not use their property in ways completely out of sync with everyone else.  In most of the areas I've seen with HOAs, the population density is such that a person wishing to paint their house hot pink or let it crumble around them has a distinct and noticeable effect on the properties around them.  We're not talking about 2-10acre lots in the country, but 1/8th (and smaller) acre lots in what is barely suburban, almost urban areas.

That said, any person new to HOAs is given ample opportunity to inspect the covenants.  At least in Va, disagreement with an HOA's rules is a perfectly acceptable excuse for getting out of a purchase contract.  When I bought our home, I was given a copy of the rules and plenty of time to read and understand them.  My realtor told me in no uncertain terms that I was to cancel the contract if I thought I would have a problem with the HOA.  I have yet to have any issues with their rules as they're pretty reasonable and deny actions that I wouldn't take in a neighborhood like this regardless of the "rules".

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
THR bashing....
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2006, 10:39:54 AM »
"Oh jeez here we go again."

Nope. I'm done.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
THR bashing....
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2006, 10:50:53 AM »
I'm not disagreeing with the need for HOA's, I just find them a sad substitute for that old "good neighbor" courtesy I grew up with, and have continued to observe in my (obviously) sheltered life, first as a rural farmboy, then a career military Zoomie, and now as I return to the gorgeous rolling hill country of Wisconsin.  Just asking my sister and brother-in-law, as I'm staying at their home in a newer residential neighborhood in Sun Prairie (a Madison suburb) and they laughed at me when I asked them if they were in a HOA.  It appears civilization has yet to arrive here, the darned Cheeseheads.  Wink

Regarding the turkey farm, it wouldn't bother me in the least.  I earned my college tuition working on chicken (egg) and dairy farms, it's a part of living and working in farm country. You want something evil, be downwind of the rendering plant in Omaha, Nebraska while preflighting a 4-engine heavy reconnaissance jet prior to takeoff at Offutt AFB.  I darned near filled an air sickness bag before we even started engines. I eventually discovered the wing commander there will actually request the rendering plant cease operations if there's an outdoor presentation or ceremony on a given morning.  The rendering plant usually complies with the request.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"