Author Topic: THR bashing....  (Read 9045 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
THR bashing....
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2006, 11:29:47 AM »
I used to work next to a rendering plant. Somehow their totally foul green water found it's way into the storm sewer which had a catch basin in the parking lot of the building I worked in. It was constantly swarming with big ol blow flies and the big challenge was for anyone to walk up to that basin, bend over and take a real good whiff. That'd get the best of em gagging hard. Unfortunately we did not have the luxury (?) of air sickness bags. shocked

OK, back to the original topic...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »
Here's the reverse situation.  There is an old lady  and her family in an adjoining county, that have been there so long that one of the main roads is named after her family.  This is rolling wooded area and actually quite beautiful country.  They have been mining gravel and sand there for eons.
  All the yuppy bastards have discovered this part of the county and are building million dollar homes and large pud home developments with huge homes on 2-3 acre parcels.  Those slugs are now suing her and trying to get the court to shut down her mining operation because they don't like the trucks, the noise and the dust.  This same gang of plutocrats tried to stop the building of a large water tower on the property of the new high school in the area.  They lost that one.  Oh, they tried to stop the building of the school too.  The State Police wanted to put a large tower for a repeater so they'd get good com in that part of the state.  They resisted that too.  These are all people who came into the area after plans had been made for all of the above.  So far they are 0-3.  I really don't care for folks like that.
I hope the court throws these cretins out of court and makes them pay for her legal expenses and her trouble.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

THR bashing....
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2006, 12:17:39 PM »
I'm done with L&P for awhile.

Every thread  becomes a kitty box for the Libertarian Clown Posse.

My GERD is bad enough without subjecting myself to their nauseating Bush bashing.

They are an awful arrogant bunch considering they cannot compete in the free market of ideas. If they could we would see some viable candidates out of them.

Bunch of crybabies.

doczinn

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2006, 12:35:55 PM »
Quote from: DocZinn
Rights do not have to be "balanced against the rights of another individual." If there is a conflict someone is in the wrong.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
So, in other words, you agree with the Supreme Court that speech defined as hate speech isn't a protected right under the First Amendment?
Nope. The person in the wrong is the one trying to get the state to force someone to shut up just because they feel offended.

Eyesores are one thing, but an extremely noxious smell drifting onto my property might be a violation of my rights. It's a sticky issue at that point, but I'd compare it to runoff or other kinds of air pollution.

Of course, if the turkey farm was there first, then no-one has a right to say anything.
D. R. ZINN

Antibubba

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2006, 06:50:47 PM »
I'm there less because I've learned a lot, and I don't need to read every thread anymore.  In a way, having so many clueless noobs is a good thing; it's an indication of a resurging gun culture in America.  Yes, there are idiots and cretins among them, but they are the minority, and need to be steered back to arfcom Wink .  A lot of them are simply ignorant, both about guns and civil rules of discussion.  THR is a great place to learn both.

I don't think about it much, but all of us are Moderators at THR.  Any one of us can alert the mods to a thread headed south.  I tend to ignore blatant rudeness online-the information superhighway has a lot of trash tossed out the windows, and I've grown accustomed to it.  but THR is like my yard, and I need to make more of an effort to keep it clean.  So. I resolve to be more vigilant about Low-Roaders when I'm there.  If I can advise, I will.  But if they don't get the idea, I'll let a Mod know.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
THR bashing....
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2006, 10:19:26 PM »
As for the prevailing mood at THR, I've throttled way back on my discussions there.  I'll read the forums,  maybe contribute a little here or there, but definitely stay out of Legal and Political.  It gets nasty in there.
:blink blink: It does?  I guess its a matter of perspective. L&P on THR is Romper Room compared to some of the "discourse" I've seen and participated in on Usenet.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
THR bashing....
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2006, 12:53:27 AM »
I don't think about it much, but all of us are Moderators at THR.
I liken it to a bar that takes care of itself, where everybody is the bouncer. Whoever's closest to the melee is the one to push the offender(s) out the back door. Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
THR bashing....
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2006, 02:08:36 AM »
Boy, there must be something wrong with arf.com.  Having better taste in guns, I've never been there.  Got any good horror stories about it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
THR bashing....
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2006, 03:46:31 AM »
Arf.com and Glocktalk
better known as
Barf.com and erich's Locktalk
I like THR still, I just stay out of the posts that sound like they are loonies
Brian
<><
:)

buzz_knox

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2006, 03:48:19 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
Balckburn, if folks would just learn to use the word "some" when talking about misdeeds of law enforcement people, we wouldn't have to use the term "bashing".  some of our  more cretinous creatures, however, take one event and try to make us believe that it is representative of "all" LEOs.

Generally, the bashing comes from folks whose style and tone of commentary indicates that they're extremely  interested in their self-defined rights and have no interest in any sort of responsibility for the consequences of their behavior.  I limit this to those who bash; there is a distinct difference between bashing and discussing.  Neither I nor any of the cops of THL condone bad behavior on the part of LEOs.

However, note that a commanlity of bashing in general--illegals, liberals, cops, Mexicans, gays--is that the posters speak of any such group in an all-inclusive manner.  Again, the key word is "some".

My opinion about some Smiley of these guys is that if their IQ ever hits 50, they oughta sell.

Art
Art, "some" of us have tried the "some" approach.  I always do.  We've also been labelled as cop bashing trolls right off the bat, even when the post specifically limited to the issue of bad conduct.

And while I know you don't condone bad behavior, I don't think that applies universally.  At least one cop on THR has openly stated he'd support a cop's actions, regardless of any other factor.   On TFL, we've had the pleasure of a cop stating that one of the problems with crime is that cop killers weren't killed on the way to the police station.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
THR bashing....
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2006, 04:24:10 AM »
At least one cop on THR has openly stated he'd support a cop's actions, regardless of any other factor.
Don't forget the infamous "empty coffee can" incident..... Cheesy  Tongue

I know, I'm not helping. But it WAS pretty comical.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
THR bashing....
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2006, 04:58:37 AM »
I am open to suggestions on improving THR.

mtnbkr

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2006, 05:12:54 AM »
I'm not sure it needs improving.  What we're seeing is simply the result of a diverse community of people interracting.  THR (and TFL) at it's worst is still better than any other general interest gun forum.  The only ones that are more polite are ones that are even narrower in focus (such as Smith-wessonforum.com and Combatcarry.com).  

Chris

Art Eatman

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2006, 06:24:29 AM »
Aw, yeah, buzz, for sure.  I've met the occasional real-life cop that's right out of a horror movie.  Back when I first moved here in 1983, the chief deputy was "Action" Jackson.  That he'd been divorced five times oughta be a clue.  He'd been fired from the Houston PD for staying mum after seeing four other cops beat a prisoner to death in the jail.  he beat the crap out of a woman bar manager in Alpine, one night.  "The deal"?  She left town in a mix of threats and money, and he resigned to take a deputy job over at Fort Stockton.  "Hitchhiking Hippie, don't stop in this town."

I have a helluva lot more stories about good-guy cops than aholes, though.

I guess it's folks with an absolutist and rigid mindset on ANY subject that make up a group that's just flat-out intolerable to me.  Self-righteousness.  They're always right and everybody else is always wrong.  It seems to me that this sort generally leads the way in sarcasm, making them doubly intolerable.

So I avoid carrying coffee cans with me.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
THR bashing....
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2006, 06:39:44 AM »
The HOA thing is analogous to the THR problem. An HOA or a gunboard should come together and agree on standards, then stick to them. The goal, being betterment, friendly relations and added value to the neighborhood, virtual, or otherwise. The problem arises when people use the standards as a bully pulpit to advance their world view(rampant cop thread locking?) or when they ignore all standards, logic and common sense, because they live in the community but their world view trumps all.  
   Real world example. I live on 50 acres, I have a road that passes about 300 yards over person A's property. Person B also has right of way on A's road, as well as about 400 yards of my road. The maintenance agreement stipulates we handle all the costs(long story) and gives person B, their heirs and future buyers a 13ft right of way.(not enough by ordinance to subdivide their 200 acres, play mean with me and we play back) Anyways, We bought our land from B's brother. Brother who hasn't spoken to him in 30 years. All of the land was in the family since 18whatever. B and his troublemaking kid think they own our road and somehow did us a favor by holding up our land purchase for two weeks, running off contractors, and such.  I talked to them, it may have had an effect, they have been quiet for 7 months. Usually though, much like the BUSH BAD! crowd, or the cops bad, or the cops good crowd, these cats were blind, and I mean Ray Charles got a stick and sunglasses blind to logic. You can explain how to be a good neighbor, state law, or forum rules to them and it has no effect, except for them to recycle all their babble. Community standards, recognizing others rights to exist and think freely, what's that? Idiots abound, ban them, get no trespass orders like I did, and keep them guessing about just how mad they make you. Me, I open carry at home and have the random target practice session. What is the virtual equivalent? I suggest that we have a banned members forum, the mod makes a post about who got banned, why he got banned, how mad it makes the mod, then locks it. Visible and ugly carnage.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Art Eatman

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2006, 07:21:09 AM »
There are a few who are bannable from their first post.  But there are many occasions where I regard banning as a failure on my part.  I was unable to persuade somebody to follow the rules--and in many cases it's been folks who are good contributors of useful information, or with whose views I agree.  That's frustrating for me as a moderator.

Public banning?  No.  That's insulting.  That's wasting time and psychic energy over Small Stuff.  Pointless.  I don't take out a newspaper ad if I'm forced to eject somebody from a party at my house...

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Strings

THR bashing....
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2006, 07:51:47 AM »
Honestly, I can't say as there's much of anything you could do to improve THR, Oleg. The mods do a hell of a job, but can't be everywhere at once. And I tend to use their tricks where I mod...

That board has 2446 members, split up among several fora. THR has 27,445. Maybe we shouldn't be complaining about how incivil THR has become, but marveling that it has remained as civil as it has?

buzz_knox

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2006, 07:57:59 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
I guess it's folks with an absolutist and rigid mindset on ANY subject that make up a group that's just flat-out intolerable to me.  Self-righteousness.  They're always right and everybody else is always wrong.  It seems to me that this sort generally leads the way in sarcasm, making them doubly intolerable.
Amen.  Neither side has a monopoly on self-righteous morons.  It's just incredibly sad that we have sides at all.

Strings

THR bashing....
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2006, 10:55:02 AM »
>Also, having mods who mod both THR and TFL is bad.<

Just out of curiosity, how so?

Old Fud

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2006, 04:33:44 PM »
Blacky,
They happen to be people I respect.
They are doing an exceptional job.
Don't mess with success!!

Oleg, Don't let the noise get you down.
I wandered into a couple other forums (besides THR/TFL) recently and came flying out of them faster than I went in.  The chest-thumping personal-slamming foul-mouthed nastiness I found just about everywhere else was shocking.

But what that meant is that I have had it good over here.  I know that.
And appreciate it.
Thank you to both you and your team.

Fud

Errr, one small grouse I'd like to air.
I really NEED to know what happened to our purple gorilla!
Change is Bad!

cosine

• Administrator
THR bashing....
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2006, 04:35:27 PM »
Quote from: Old Fud
Errr, one small grouse I'd like to air.
I really NEED to know what happened to our purple gorilla!
So, I'm not the only one left hanging in anticipation. Cheesy
Andy

grampster

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
I enjoy TFL and THR.  Got my start with the internet gab fest when I stumbled onto those sites around 6 years ago.  Since the Roundtable folded up at THR I gravitated over here and thoroughly enjoy the banter here.  I'm not an expert on anything and I am constantly amazed at the wealth, depth and breadth of knowledge here and THR.  I embarass myself from time to time with my blockheaded opinionated bloviation, but...Oh well.   I never really saw a problem on the old Rountable at THR.  Sure, the conversation got heated a bit, sometime.   But...well, I just never thought things got out of hand.  I'm just glad Oleg set up APS.  TAC, TFL, THR and APS were places I found where I discovered  there were others who felt as I do regarding firearms, freedom etc.  APS is even better because we can talk about other things.

I lurk over there just for fun nowadays.  I'm a firearm enthusiast, though not as deeply involved in it as some are, so I don't like to reveal my ignorance, though I do from time to time. heh.   ( I just like to shoot for the fun of it, don't have a range nearby, so I use forest land.)  I teach my grandkids how to shoot.  I do a little hunting.  I'd rather learn for my own sake.  I think that's what THR is for.  A place for curious folks to learn.

The problem with L & P and the General forum is that's where we catch the curious.  It did me.  So the converesation should be adult and proper and factual.

Frankly, I don't know what you could do additionally to those forums to sanitize things so curious non shooters or people intrigued with firearms and freedom are not turned off.

I just ignore snot fests. But then I've learned to.   But the purpose is to engage and encourage non gunners.
So I guess the mods should just dump threads, posts or ban folks who step outside the boundaries of the rules.  If that is done consistently and long enough, maybe some folks will get a clue.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cosine

• Administrator
THR bashing....
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
What's TAC? Am I missing out on something good?
Andy

grampster

• friend
THR bashing....
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 05:18:33 PM »
TheArmedCitizen.net

cosine

• Administrator
THR bashing....
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2006, 05:20:36 PM »
Thanks, grampster. I'll have to take a look around there.
Andy