Author Topic: I hate GM  (Read 16442 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: I hate GM
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »
But everything is usually harder to work on.  Our 1991 suburban which is actually the old live axle configuration should be simple to work on but since it is TBI it has the fuel pump in the tank which has had to be R&R'd twice since I've owned it. 
I'm kinda used to those by now. My wife's Lumina, I R/R the pump in a half hour. Of course, that's if the tank is empty. :)

And some jackass at GM decided to save 25 cents and make the starter wires so short that you can't drop the starter down and rest it on the front driveline while you take the wires loose from the solenoid.  It is practically impossible to get the wires off/on with the starter in place unless you have it up on a lift.  Lying on the ground, the human arm just doesn't have enough joints on the right places  =(
Dunno, I did that on my 93 K1500 and didn't really have a problem. After it's unhooked from the battery I could pull it down. If it was longer, it would be easier, but it wasn't that bad.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »
I'm kinda used to those by now. My wife's Lumina, I R/R the pump in a half hour. Of course, that's if the tank is empty. :)
Dunno, I did that on my 93 K1500 and didn't really have a problem. After it's unhooked from the battery I could pull it down. If it was longer, it would be easier, but it wasn't that bad.

I bet your Lumina doesn't have a 40 gallon tank  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

brimic

• friends
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
Our 1991 suburban which is actually the old live axle configuration should be simple to work on but since it is TBI it has the fuel pump in the tank which has had to be R&R'd twice since I've owned it. 

Yep, helped a neighbor change out the fuel pump on a 3500 last year, he had a few choice words for the location of the pump. :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »
Yep, helped a neighbor change out the fuel pump on a 3500 last year, he had a few choice words for the location of the pump. :lol:

Last time it was just the 2" hose connecting the pump to the output line.  The pump worked fine, but the gas was just going right back in the tank  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 04:33:29 PM »
Last time it was just the 2" hose connecting the pump to the output line.  The pump worked fine, but the gas was just going right back in the tank  ;/

I hope I am not the only person who initially thought 2" diameter is pretty big hose for a fuel line  :facepalm:

Reminds me of the time when a coworker showed me pictures of a deer he ". . . shot @ 3500 feet in the Adirondacks" and I said "That is a hell of a shot! What kind of rifle did you use?"

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2011, 09:10:12 PM »
I bet your Lumina doesn't have a 40 gallon tank  :P
True, that. It's still a minor PITA when the tank is full. The trick is multiple jacks. :)

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

zahc

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2011, 10:28:44 PM »
I helped my dad change the fuel pump on his 99 tahoe on a highway exit ramp, with a nearly full tank, somewhere in Virginia, in a light drizzle, using only the spare tire jack and what was in his travel toolbox. I think he's replaced the fuel pump in that truck 3 times now. It has 270k on it now.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2011, 10:35:07 AM »
I helped my dad change the fuel pump on his 99 tahoe on a highway exit ramp, with a nearly full tank, somewhere in Virginia, in a light drizzle, using only the spare tire jack and what was in his travel toolbox. I think he's replaced the fuel pump in that truck 3 times now. It has 270k on it now.

You would never be able to do that with the tank full on our Suburban.

With the tailpipe and the hitch receiver and the rear spring mounts, you have to see-saw it into / out of position.  It doesn't just drop straight down.  Plus you have to ease it down a bit and then sit under the left wheel well and reach over the frame to reach the gas line fittings (all three of them  ;/ ).

Getting it back in is the hardest  =(

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
CNYCacher:

Reminds me of the time when a coworker showed me pictures of a deer he ". . . shot @ 3500 feet in the Adirondacks" and I said "That is a hell of a shot! What kind of rifle did you use?"

Where on a deer are its adirondacks?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:03:22 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
CNYCacher:

Where on a deer are its adirondacks?

Right between its Watertown and its Albany
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »
I once shot a coyote in the Aspen  :lol:

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
I once shot a coyote in the Aspen  :lol:
I know how to build a pen, but how do you get only the right part of the coyote in there?  =D

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2012, 06:55:55 PM »
I know how to build a pen, but how do you get only the right part of the coyote in there?  =D

Sing a John Denver song  :P