Author Topic: Tragedy in the mountains: park ranger killed in Washington  (Read 10368 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Tragedy in the mountains: park ranger killed in Washington
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »
http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/01/park-ranger-shot-at-mount-rainier/

This is a developing story: a 34 year old ranger at Mt. Rainier National Park was killed at a roadblock in the park.  The suspect is on foot and carrying a rifle.  The ranger set up a roadblock after the suspect's car failed to pull over for a traffic stop.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Tragedy in the mountains: park ranger killed in Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
I would think that she had the upper hand, she could have positioned herself behind the engine block, wouldn't a Ranger also have a long gun?

Maybe he faked her out by acting like a lost/drunk tourist or something.

This could be that guy from Montana, iirc some militia guy got away from the cops up there or maybe its this guy http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=28041.msg548566;topicseen#msg548566
they never caught him either.

Condolences to family and friends of the Ranger, its not an LE job that you would expect to have to be all tactical & militaristic 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
I had heard a ranger was shot, but I didn't know it was a woman and I didn't know it was fatal.

I hope they get the guy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:08:28 PM »
wouldn't a Ranger also have a long gun

Not necessarily. Sometimes they are issued a long gun, sometimes not.  Sometimes idiot administrators hamstring the officers vs. using common sense.

its not an LE job that you would expect to have to be all tactical & militaristic 

Crazy people tend to come to parks. I don't know why.

NPS LE certified rangers are sent through a standardized 9 week Federal LE course at FLETC, so they are just like regular LEOs.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
The ranger is survived by two young daughters and her husband,  another ranger assigned to the Park.

PS: The suspect apparently has been identified,  has an assault rifle, and local media is pointing out that firearms in the Park were illegal prior to 2010.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:17:03 PM by MillCreek »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 08:27:36 PM »
The suspects is a 24 year old white male with a buzzcut on his driver's license photo and had additional weapons,  body armor and camping equipment in his car.  It took 90 minutes to recover the body since the suspect was continuing to shoot at responding vehicles and rangers.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
They are now showing booking photos of the suspect in an orange jumpsuit, so he must have a record.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
The suspects is a 24 year old white male with a buzzcut on his driver's license photo and had additional weapons,  body armor and camping equipment in his car.  It took 90 minutes to recover the body since the suspect was continuing to shoot at responding vehicles and rangers.
The little *expletive deleted*it can't be carrying that much ammo......
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 10:29:17 PM »
All the rangers I have met in this area carry a 10/22 for a long gun. It is just to dispatch rabid animals near people.

I'd want plenty of backup to set up a roadblock on an unknown foe. Or maybe she knew who it was from the shooting report and just gave it her all.

In either case she has my respect.

My thoughts go out to her family.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 11:00:10 PM »
Napalm the AO
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 10:09:52 AM »
The suspect is an Army veteran, with one deployment to Iraq in 2007-8.  According to his wife, who filed for a protective order, he is suffering from PTSD, has an arsenal of guns and has threatened suicide.  He is also a suspect in the shooting of four people in south Seattle seven hours prior to shooting the ranger.  

This all started when the suspect blew past a checkpoint to check that you have tire chains for the snowy roads.  Ms. Anderson, one of the Park's 15 LEO rangers, set up a roadblock and was shot through the windshield with a shotgun before she had exited her vehicle.  The suspect then fled on foot and was firing at backup vehicles responding to the scene.  

PS: Here is a photo of the suspect published in this morning's Seattle Times:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:16:42 AM by MillCreek »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 10:12:27 AM »
The ranger is survived by two young daughters and her husband,  another ranger assigned to the Park.

PS: The suspect apparently has been identified,  has an assault rifle, and local media is pointing out that firearms in the Park were illegal prior to 2010.

Because that would have stopped him.

Stop! No guns allowed!
Oh, okay....I'll go on my killing spree some where they're allowed.

:facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
local media is pointing out that firearms in the Park were illegal prior to 2010.

Now we need to make killing rangers illegal  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »
Because that would have stopped him.

Stop! No guns allowed!
Oh, okay....I'll go on my killing spree some where they're allowed.

:facepalm:

Typical sloppy reporting. In fact, guns were NOT illegal prior to 2010. One was always able to transport firearms that were unloaded and in a case through most National Parks. I've done so when cutting through Yosemite to get to my fishing spots in the Eastern Sierra for the last ten years.

The 2010 law was of course mostly about CCW. From what I've seen, the ranger was killed with a shotgun. By, as Jamis points out, someone who would likely not be obeying any laws anyway -- especially if it turns out he was on the run for the Seattle shootings.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
Going to be interest to hear the rest of the story on this.  Pictures of him show lots of gang tattoos which in of itself isn't a problem being in the military but if he was an active gang member then that is a whole other issue.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
This just in: the suspect has been found dead.  No word yet on the circumstances of his death except to say that his body was found in a ditch not far from the site of the ranger shooting.  It is not yet known if he died of exposure, suicide or by LEO, but there have been no reports of encounters or firefights with the suspect.  I am thinking it was probably suicide.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
This just in: the suspect has been found dead.  No word yet on the circumstances of his death except to say that his body was found in a ditch not far from the site of the ranger shooting.  It is not yet known if he died of exposure, suicide or by LEO, but there have been no reports of encounters or firefights with the suspect.  I am thinking it was probably suicide.

If this fact is true, good.  Just saved the tax payers the cost of housing him til fried.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »
If this fact is true, good.  Just saved the tax payers the cost of housing him til fried.
This is true.

Sadly, he was a murderer, and gave guns and veterans a bad name.

Why don't these suicidal douchebags just kill them selves, as opposed to taking other innocent's lives.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
This is true.

Sadly, he was a murderer, and gave guns and veterans a bad name.

Why don't these suicidal douchebags just kill them selves, as opposed to taking other innocent's lives.

Actually the elements may have got him.  Either way good riddance.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:49 PM »
Actually the elements may have got him.  Either way good riddance.

http://news.yahoo.com/rainier-gunmans-body-might-found-191441433.html

MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK, Wash. (AP) — The body of an Iraq war veteran suspected in the slaying of a Mount Rainier National Park ranger was believed to have been found in chest-deep snow on Monday, authorities said.
I hope that the POS froze to death - it will be the last coolness that he ever felt, burning in Hell and all......

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »
Well, fondly remember that one year you could carry in a park. That and the fact that every Saiga 12 in this country just got $100 more expensive as the ban-o-meter ticked up.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

Very similar to an incident where the Hinsdale CO county sheriff was killed after setting up a road block to try to stop a couple of bank robbers.  This was back around 1994 or 1995 ?

Only difference is that they never found the pair dead until spring.

It was way up on a high mountain pass, but not in a national park.

One could probably find something about that tragedy online ....
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
From a BBC article:
Police said they had recovered his vehicle, which had weapons, body armour and survivalist gear inside.
Well, if they recover my vehicle they might would find 2 of the 3, assuming I did not have the good sense to take them with me. I love how every sorry bastard is an excuse to paint us all.

Let me write the article. Sick F&** who shot a lady for no good reason finally stopped wasting our oxygen by succumbing to the elements. We the editors can only hope it hurt. Ha Ha, the end.
AKA Navy Joe   

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Well, fondly remember that one year you could carry in a park. That and the fact that every Saiga 12 in this country just got $100 more expensive as the ban-o-meter ticked up.

A good time to buy IzhMash stock?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
No, the ATF can ban import of them by decree, then the only value is to people that already have guns here.
AKA Navy Joe