Author Topic: Tragedy in the mountains: park ranger killed in Washington  (Read 10367 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Tragedy in the mountains: park ranger killed in Washington
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »
The autopsy said that Mr. Barnes died of drowning and secondary hypothermia.  The theory is that he became unconscious due to exposure and landed head-first in a stream.  He was found on the streambank with his upper body in the water.

Couldn't have 'appened to a nicer bloke.

Also being reported this morning is a clever idea by the helicopter search teams.  As the choppers found parties in the backcountry, they would give instructions via loudspeaker.  But many people could not hear/understand the loudspeaker over the helicopter noise.  So the crews were writing messages on the sides of paper coffee cups and then dropping the cups down on the campers below. 

I guess that works better than glass Coke bottles.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 05:34:43 PM »
I guess that works better than glass Coke bottles.

You must be crazy.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
You must be crazy.  ;/

Are you saying I'm god-like?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
Are you saying I'm god-like?

Sure, because it's all your fault  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
landed head-first in a stream.  He was found on the streambank with his upper body in the water.

when he was a kid he fell and got his head stuck in a bucket, its how he got the PTSD.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."