Author Topic: Gun Used to Rescue Children Submerged in Icy River  (Read 7857 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Gun Used to Rescue Children Submerged in Icy River
« on: January 02, 2012, 10:02:28 AM »
I'd seen the headlines about this, but hadn't read the article until this morning. From the sound of it in the story, a former LEO shot out the glass with his handgun submerged in the water. The story specifically mentions that he pushed the gun up onto the glass, so it sounds like he was smart enough to get some water in the barrel before pulling the trigger. Nevertheless, seems like a risky way to gain entry. But then I'm armchair quarterbacking, he did try other methods, and he did save lives. So good on him.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/02/passers-by-rescue-children-after-car-plunges-into-icy-river/#ixzz1iIFhwoLV
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Gun Used to Rescue Children Submerged in Icy River
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »
Guns - is there anything they can't do?  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:28:58 AM »

Make cheese?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
How is it that the father got out but then the doors were all closed?

Good job by the rescuers, but there's a piece missing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
How is it that the father got out but then the doors were all closed?

Good job by the rescuers, but there's a piece missing.

I do not think there is anything hinkey going on.  Door can close as the car flipped and submerged.  With all the windows closed it's difficult to achieve pressure equilibrium, and with even a small air pocket inside the pressure outside can be significantly greater than inside, thus effectively sealing the door shut.  That's why "THEY" tell you to roll down your window and hold your breath untill the whole car fills up before trying to open the door.

Being drowned in icy water offers a much better chance of revival/survival than drowning in warm water - sounds as if the little boy is another example of that fact.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:28 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Highway_Patrol#Issued_Vehicles_and_Weapons

As far as duty weapons, the agency issues its members the Glock 22 .40 caliber.....

New Glock "Perfection" commercial arriving in 5....4....3....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »
Also, it looks from the picture that the car came to rest with the drivers door on the bottom.  Maybe he got out the window when it was still partially floating?  However, a very happy ending to have all three kids make it out.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »
I do not think there is anything hinkey going on.  Door can close as the car flipped and submerged.  With all the windows closed it's difficult to achieve pressure equilibrium, and with even a small air pocket inside the pressure outside can be significantly greater than inside, thus effectively sealing the door shut.  That's why "THEY" tell you to roll down your window and hold your breath untill the whole car fills up before trying to open the door.

I can attest to that from personal experience. In ASTC aviation water survival training, we have to strap into a "dunker" that drops into a pool, begins filling with water, and then flips over. There is NO WAY to get a door open until the thing is completely full of water. We're trained to sit calmly, take a breath just before it flips, and then stay where we are until it stabilizes. Then unstrap and feel our way to a door or window. The point is drilled into us that trying to open a door before pressure is fully equalized only uses up what little O2 you have and gets you killed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 02:29:37 PM »

Being drowned in icy water offers a much better chance of revival/survival than drowning in warm water - sounds as if the little boy is another example of that fact.

stay safe.

Hypothermia is gaining acceptance as a therapy for trauma patients, ostensibly for its anti-shock and anti-inflammatory properties.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »
Swiss  =)
Thanks!  I was hoping someone would take that shot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
Swiss  =)

Holey comback, Batman... Sir.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

stay safe.

If you roll down the window, you should have an exit without having to wait for the car to fill up. Just sayin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »
If you roll down the window, you should have an exit without having to wait for the car to fill up. Just sayin.

Well, yeah!  As long as you can fit through the window, can get in position to get out the window, and remember to roll down the window as you are going off the road into the water to begin with.

And LadySmith accuses me of being too logical.  Sheesh!

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »

Electric window up/down thingy motor + water = maybe not so much.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
Also, it looks from the picture that the car came to rest with the drivers door on the bottom.  Maybe he got out the window when it was still partially floating?  However, a very happy ending to have all three kids make it out.

The article said the car went in and landed on its roof, and that the rescuers flipped it upright to get the kids out. I'm sure that was before the AP photographers got to the scene.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
Another link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/01/utah-river-rescue-bystand_n_1178931.html

A Glock saves the day.  To think how many people talk trash about Glocks!
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »
The story specifically mentions that he pushed the gun up onto the glass, so it sounds like he was smart enough to get some water in the barrel before pulling the trigger

???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
Compressed air.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
Another link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/01/utah-river-rescue-bystand_n_1178931.html

A Glock saves the day.  To think how many people talk trash about Glocks!

Are other guns unable to do this?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
Are other guns unable to do this?

Springfield tried to replicate the Glock but gave in to political correctness and put too many so called safeties on it, so,NO ... :cool:

Glock, underwater or out of time or late for work - the wonder gun that does it all!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »
Springfield tried to replicate the Glock but gave in to political correctness and put too many so called safeties on it, so,NO ... :cool:

I call BS on that......the XD puts the safety right where it should be....and has a better trigger to boot....

....if the trooper had an XD, it would have broken the window, swam the kids to safety, and given them CPR and hot cocoa, too....

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

griz

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »
The article said the car went in and landed on its roof, and that the rescuers flipped it upright to get the kids out. I'm sure that was before the AP photographers got to the scene.

I couldn't find that.  All I saw was that they turned it upright, which doesn't really clear up how it came to rest.  But my point is only that I can imagine the driver getting out and still not being able to get his kids out the same window.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »
Well, yeah!  As long as you can fit through the window, can get in position to get out the window, and remember to roll down the window as you are going off the road into the water to begin with.

stay safe.

A Glock can do all that and more!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."