Author Topic: Sturm Ruger are Bastids!  (Read 13644 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Sturm Ruger are Bastids!
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
Another new pistol, the SR22. Odd that it looks a lot like my Walther P22.....
I think that I will keep the Walther.
I like the fact that Ruger is introducing new products.
I do not like the fact that they seem to only be copying other makers (other than the LCR).

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/index.html

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Sturm Ruger are Bastids!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 01:17:48 PM »
Is the slide made out of that zinc cr@p like the P22? ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
I look at that and I think "why?????".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »

According to the web site the slide is black-anodized aluminum.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »
Another new pistol, the SR22. Odd that it looks a lot like my Walther P22.....
I think that I will keep the Walther.
I like the fact that Ruger is introducing new products.
I do not like the fact that they seem to only be copying other makers (other than the LCR).

Actually, it looks a lot like the SR9.....and Ruger has introduced a lot of great .22lr's lately....ones that stand on their own merits and can be used as "understudy guns" for their larger-caliber siblings....can't wait to see if a LCP .22lr is in the works....

Ruger only deals in steel, aluminum, titanium (golf clubs only), and polymer....no junk metal allowed....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:11:08 PM »
Seems like they also did quite well "copying" the Colt SAA  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
And the CRF bolt rifle.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
According to the Ruger website, the slide is aircraft-grade aluminum.

Oops, duplicate post to what Brad said earlier.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:08:14 PM »
Actually, it looks a lot like the SR9.....and Ruger has introduced a lot of great .22lr's lately....ones that stand on their own merits and can be used as "understudy guns" for their larger-caliber siblings....can't wait to see if a LCP .22lr is in the works....

Except it has a hammer where the SR9 is striker-fired.  I also see the Walther/S&W resemblance.  I don't see much "SR" in that gun at all.  Other than the obnoxious big lettering.

And ruger already has several FANTASTIC .22's that I would choose in a heartbeat over this thing.

Interesting, though, that the slide is stamped Prescott, AZ.  I guess Ruger is getting out of Connecticut, finally.  Shifting new manufacturing to a union-free State.  Good on them.  Though I'll not be buying this.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
Except it has a hammer where the SR9 is striker-fired.  I also see the Walther/S&W resemblance.  I don't see much "SR" in that gun at all.  Other than the obnoxious big lettering.

And ruger already has several FANTASTIC .22's that I would choose in a heartbeat over this thing.

Interesting, though, that the slide is stamped Prescott, AZ.
I guess Ruger is getting out of Connecticut, finally.  Shifting new manufacturing to a union-free State.  Good on them.  Though I'll not be buying this.

Ruger has been manufacturing in Prescott, AZ since 1985.  They are still based out of CT and have manufacturing in NH as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
According to the Ruger website, the slide is aircraft-grade aluminum.

Oops, duplicate post to what Brad said earlier.

Well, an aluminum slide is appropriate on a .22. I have several that have held up just fine. That said, everytime some company says "aircraft grade aluminum I wanna stick my finger in my eye just to stop the hurt. I can name about 30 different types of aluminium   =D that I've used on an aircraft. Many entirely unsuitable to make a slide out of. How about tell us the alloy and temper and STFU about "aircraft grade?" Would that be too hard marketing people?

As far as the pistol? meh.

I hold grudges a long time, I was almost over the old man's AWB support when they decided to copy Kel-Tec. I have no respect for copycat companies, having worked for people with original patented stuff that was still ripped off.

Then there's my perfect world issues. In my fantasy land Colt makes 1911s and snake guns, Smith makes revolvers only, and Ruger makes revolvers, .22 target pistols and the occasional (bolt!!!) rifle and shotgun. Ruger and Smith auto pistols are a stain on the fabric of mankind. The mini-14 was cool right up until the A-Team got cancelled.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
Meh.
Color me unexcited.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »
Except it has a hammer where the SR9 is striker-fired.  I also see the Walther/S&W resemblance.  I don't see much "SR" in that gun at all.  Other than the obnoxious big lettering.

Really.  Two single action .22 revolvers, now two  very recently introduced double action .22 revolvers, and a multitude of variations on the Mark III.  Am I missing any?

Is this model there to show the world that Ruger can do what the other guy did, better?

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
everytime some company says "aircraft grade aluminum I wanna stick my finger in my eye just to stop the hurt. I can name about 30 different types of aluminium   =D that I've used on an aircraft. Many entirely unsuitable to make a slide out of. How about tell us the alloy and temper and STFU about "aircraft grade?" Would that be too hard marketing people?
How about "surgical steel"? Every time I see that, I think bedpans...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
I hold grudges a long time, I was almost over the old man's AWB support when they decided to copy Kel-Tec. I have no respect for copycat companies, having worked for people with original patented stuff that was still ripped off.

Please explain. If they are infringing on a patent, that's one thing, and it's actionable. But legally copying a successful design is just a) natural and expected competition in a capitalist system, b) serving the market, because capitalism is about selling the people what they want to buy and c) sometimes necessary for survival in a capitalist system, especially in a slow economy.

And where was this complaint when they started making 1911s?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
I did not even dignify the 1911 thing with picking one up to look at it. There's pretty much a proven open source design. With the P3AT a big company, Ruger, patiently waited while a little tiny company planned, tested, innovated, failed, and then brilliantly succeeded. Ruger could afford to be so patient because they had no idea it could be done or there was a market. Nothing to patent that I see, plastic gun with tilt-barrel locking. The idea of getting the little guy to do all your legwork for you is abhorrent to me, just a pet peeve. On 1911s, I'm done. I've got a Sistema halfway finished in a tupperware, a S70 Colt, a Rem-Rand that needs to be re-built, and a modern Dan Wesson that is nice but doesn't trip my trigger due to its stainless flavor. I'm absolutely done buying new production guns that look like 1911s. I will either have the money to pay Les Baer, Ed Brown, and no others or I will build one myself with Caspian stuff. All the modern 1911s are mass production crap dreamed up by managers that probably don't know where the bullet comes out and just want to move units and make pretty graphs. That's why I didn't mention the 1911 thing, one off-topic can o worms per thread.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »
The fact that it's equipped with an ambidextrous safety makes it different from all other .22 autos and reason enough for me to take a serious look at it.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »

Then there's my perfect world issues. In my fantasy land Colt makes 1911s and snake guns, Smith makes revolvers only, and Ruger makes revolvers, .22 target pistols and the occasional (bolt!!!) rifle and shotgun. Ruger and Smith auto pistols are a stain on the fabric of mankind.

lol... eleventy plus one's for you.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »
Please explain. If they are infringing on a patent, that's one thing, and it's actionable. But legally copying a successful design is just a) natural and expected competition in a capitalist system, b) serving the market, because capitalism is about selling the people what they want to buy and c) sometimes necessary for survival in a capitalist system, especially in a slow economy.

And where was this complaint when they started making 1911s?
and the pot stirring continues........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:42 PM »
I did not even dignify the 1911 thing with picking one up to look at it. There's pretty much a proven open source design.

Grant Cunningham has some post-1911 centennary comments on the 1911, here: Hello 2012 - boy, am I glad to see you!.

Sure to fan the flames.

You probably didn't notice, but I made a vow last New Year's to not mention the 1911, or its designer, in this blog for all of 2011. I knew that everyone would be making a Big Freaking Deal (BFD) about the centennial of The Thing, and that there would be special editions and articles and books and videos and special editions and more articles and more special editions and videos and still more special editions and plenty of 1911-only shooting classes for people who didn’t take Inspector Girard’s advice to lose their nickel-plated sissy pistols.

I didn't want to show up in any Google searches for '1911', lest it seem that I actually approved of (let alone participated in) such nonsense.

I thus endured an entire year of people expounding on the virtues of the inefficient and unreliable design, while I forced myself (sometimes with pliers and a staple gun) to keep my tongue still.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »
The fact that it's equipped with an ambidextrous safety makes it different from all other .22 autos and reason enough for me to take a serious look at it.

I believe the GSG 1911 (a 1911-ish .22) has an ambidextrous safety as standard on each model. I assume the Sig-branded GSGs are the same.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »
With the P3AT a big company, Ruger, patiently waited while a little tiny company planned, tested, innovated, failed, and then brilliantly succeeded. Ruger could afford to be so patient because they had no idea it could be done or there was a market. Nothing to patent that I see, plastic gun with tilt-barrel locking. The idea of getting the little guy to do all your legwork for you is abhorrent to me, just a pet peeve.

You know gun companies are supposed to make money, right?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
You know gun companies are supposed to make money, right?
Not enough threads locked lately due to your pot stirring?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 11:58:28 PM »
OK, what is your definition of pot stirring?  ???

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
Ruger and Smith auto pistols are a stain on the fabric of mankind.

Well said.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama