Author Topic: The women in your life and their guns  (Read 15831 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
The women in your life and their guns
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
I'm doing an informal survey to learn more about what women carry and use, for market research. If your wife, girlfriend, significant other, mother, sister, daughter, or all of the above carry a gun or use a gun, please tell me what it is and what caliber. For example:

M&P 9mm for competition
Bodyguard .380 for concealed carry
Custom AR15 .223 for fun

If you have more than one woman in your life who has guns, or one woman with multiple guns, list them all please. ESPECIALLY what they carry concealed. If you're concerned about putting this out there in a public forum, send me a pm and I'll keep it completely confidential.

For my fellow females here, shoot me a PM if you want privacy from the boys. :)

Thanks!
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The women in your life and their guns
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
My lovely wife just totes me around and hopes I'm armed.  She don't shoot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »
None at all.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »
If it helps, I carry a S&W 686 .357 Magnum with 4" barrel.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:15:45 PM »
My formerly hoplophobic, formerly Japanese, wife carries an XD-9 SC when and where legal, .

She originally carried a Glock 23 until an instructor suggested that she could more reliably fire follow-up shots with 9 mm.  (Booner, are you still around?)

She has changed in other ways, too. Once she was a French major (BA); now she is ABD in industrial engineering.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
Sadly, it is the same for me...
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »

Ditto....but she is deadly accurate with her Taurus 94 .22lr.....I may get a LCR .22 & see if it catches her attention.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 08:39:19 PM »
Springfeild 1911A1
Subcompact XD .40 S&W
Smith and Wesson M-19

WASR10
SKS
Bushmaster AR
10/22 (i don't shoot that much. 4H made me picky about .22, but dad bought for me so...)
New Englander .410

plus all dads guns, which i'm not listing, cause it takes to dang long.

I will note that I don't like Sigs. I can't reach their DA trigger on the DA/SA guns.  :P
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »

<vader>Impressive.</vader>
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:40:52 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
Add a Springfield XDM in 9mm to the list.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
My wife was raised in a house with guns (her dad hunts, so there are rifles and shotguns on the walls), but doesn't shoot herself and wouldn't have guns in the house when her kids were smaller. Both are in their teens now, and my dad just died recently - his Colt Gold Cup 1911 (Model 70, IIRC) will be coming to me, and possibly one or more additional guns (I'd like one of his .22s, and will take as many as aren't wanted by the rest of the family, but frankly I don't know how many guns Dad had and he was survived by his wife and 4 children...) - so we've been talking about all three of them learning firearms safety and shooting. Gun(s) not in hand yet, so we'll see how things go.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
She's not old enough to the carry yet, but that is the exact model I own that kiddo favors and is promised to her.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
Whoops, wait, model 66 is kiddo's.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »
My wife and stepdaughter both enjoy going to the range with me and shooting my .22lr's.  My stepdaughter has officially stated that my CZ 452 is Her Gun.  I've got my wife to enjoy shooting an AR-15 and Marlin .357 lever gun, but other than that neither of them enjoy shooting centerfire.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
My wife has taken possession of (formerly) my Kimber Pro Carry .40SW.  She also shoots a M&P 9mm, and did quite well with it a Jeff Gonzales' class, but she doesn't carry either. Just not interested in CCW even though she has a NH permit.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
My wife has a full size M&P 45 in her nightstand and carries a PPS in 9mm.
My aunt carries a Taurus Millennium PT-145
My mom just bought a Sig P-250 for wolf and bear defense.  She carries in the woods but not the city.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 10:51:35 PM »
My wife at one time expropriated my 3" Model 36 Smith, but now carries a P3AT. For fun, she likes a plain GI style 1911. She also has a Baikal trap gun in 20 gauge and a Marlin 795 she used for an Appleseed. We are working out which 9mm she likes, in case she has time to try USPSA this summer.

My mom has a .38 Charter Undercover and a Taurus PT111 9mm. She has a carry permit, but doesn't usually carry because she works at a very liberal college.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
Ruger something in .357 but shoots .38s out of it.
4 or 5 shotguns her dad gave her at Xmas, all 20ga.

She likes to shoot my Bersa .380 but until I get a different carry piece she can't have it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »
My wife has enjoyed shooting my 6" 586. She didn't much care for .22.

She, too, won't carry or use a weapon to defend herself, so that responsibility falls on me.

Terpsichore

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
Don't have a gun yet, just swords and other fun things.
There is something relaxing in working with sharp pointy things.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 12:48:43 AM »
I have a S&W Sigma in .40.  I don't carry concealed

This is because I'm disorganized and somewhat scatter-brained, and last summer my two-year-old spend a horrible afternoon in the ER after I didn't properly secure my meds. 

There's no way I would, at this point in my life, be safe about it, not with two little kids.  And a lot of time with my dare-devil nephew who's nearly killed himself with his reckless shenanigans way too many times.  AWESOME kid, but I worry about carrying around him, and least for me and my tendency to lose track of stuff.  The risk/benefit analysis says I shouldn't carry until I get my act together a little more.

I used to have a Benelli Montefeltro, and I will again someday. 

Assorted .22's

I need to learn how to shoot a rifle, so's I can teach my kid to shoot.  She'll be turning six in May...she's expressed an interest. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 02:02:31 AM »
None, although I have given her a few lessons and she is competent. Irks me to no end that she says that she knows how to shoot. Look lady, I've shot competition pistol for 6 years, shoot military matches and win guns, spent every waking moment of my life on guns for a few years and been qualified numerous times in the military and I don't know how to shoot, yet you do?  Ahh, the confidence of youth. :facepalm:

The deciding factor for her is weight, while I was gone for awhile she purloined my S&W 325 and really is quite fond of it. Never shot it with the 185 +P Golden Saber that was in it mind you.

Soon, I am going to outfit her for the reality of separate housekeeping. I asked her if she liked my Browning HP, so that stays. Beyond that I'm looking at a lever rifle in .30-30 or .44 with a dot sight and a simple to operate shotgun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

redscabbard

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
I need to learn how to shoot a rifle, so's I can teach my kid to shoot.  She'll be turning six in May...she's expressed an interest. 

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but our 10 and 12 year old girls love 4H Shooting Sports.  In our club, you need to be 9 years old (a 4Her, not a clover kid).

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 08:04:26 AM »
My child wants a gun, she is 4 going on 20. Next year I'll start her on a .22, I want to expose her to competitive shooting, who knows. I just know that if you graduate in a class of 15 chances are the college scouts didn't stop by your school to check out your sports.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
Used to work with some LEOs who carried off duty.  As I recall, two had 2" .38 or .357 revolvers, one had a PPK.  That was when the department issued 4" .357s.  This is not reliable if you are actually compiling data and grinding out statistics.

bluestarlizzard, if you find the opportunity, try a SIG with the short trigger installed.  Thinner and slightly recontoured, the "short" applies to the length of pull. 
Gee, I'd love to see your data!