Author Topic: The women in your life and their guns  (Read 15833 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: The women in your life and their guns
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
Don't have a gun yet, just swords and other fun things.

It takes less than a pound of pressure to cut human skin.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
It takes less than a pound of pressure to cut human skin.  =)

You learn that in the whore acadamy?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
Wife has 2x S&W M442's, one in purse and one for the nightstand.
Daughter 1 has a P3AT and my S&W M547.
Daughter 2 doesn't tote.

Daughter 1 is an avid shooter and married a semi-Gunnie, thank God.  The wife makes no time for it.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
I'm sorry for all you guys whose wives won't or don't carry. I wish I had a magic solution for changing her mind, but kudos to you for taking full responsibility for her protection.

Ladies, thank you for posting your comments. Liz, which one of those do you usually carry? I think I remember something about the 1911 once but I don't recall now.

For those of you teaching or planning to teach your daughters to shoot - way to go!!

I'm adding gun make model, caliber, and use to a spreadsheet and will post the results when I'm done collecting data. As you can see here, it's a bit all over the board. I'm going to put something up on facebook too and sometime soon will have a full questionnaire for women shooters. And when the time comes APS will be the first to know what I'm doing and why! :)
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »
You learn that in the whore acadamy?

You can't open the book of my life in the middle.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »
You can't open the book of my life in the middle.  ;)

You hope it is the middle.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
My wife only has a Remington Semi Auto 20 gauge shotgun her dad gave her a couple years ago. I'm getting her a Rem 788 in .243 than has been cut to her LOP which I will pick up in a couple weeks. She doesn't know about this but she has mentioned she like to shoot something bigger than a .22lr rifle that fits her.

She likes to shoot my .22 and .38/.357 handguns. She prefers revolvers to pistols because they are easier for her to operate.

I don't ever push going shooting, she just will say something every now and then that she wants to go shoot.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
*sheepish*

I don't carry. I just never have gotten around to getting the permit.

Probably the xd, as that's why I bought it.

I wouldn't want to carry the 1911 due to rust factor, not because of size.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
*sheepish*

I don't carry. I just never have gotten around to getting the permit.

Probably the xd, as that's why I bought it.

I wouldn't want to carry the 1911 due to rust factor, not because of size.

Carrying the 1911 won't make you rust.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
Carrying the 1911 won't make you rust.
But it can make your hip turn green.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 02:37:14 PM »
she doesn't carry, but enjoys shooting my smith 422 at the range.  she has the paperwork to get her carry permit, but hasn't completed it.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
...I've shot competition pistol for 6 years, shoot military matches and win guns, spent every waking moment of my life on guns for a few years and been qualified numerous times in the military and I don't know how to shoot...

Possibly, being a little bit absurd here?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »

I don't think he is. I was shooting for over 25 years before I took my first real defensive shooting class. At that point I realized I had a lot to learn.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 06:02:20 PM »
My wife has her permit, but rarely carries (she works on an Army base).  Her carry gun is a 2" barreled model 36 LadySmith, with a laser sight.

She prefers shooting Sporting Clays with a SXS 28 ga.  She's also game to try about anything, as proven by these two videos (PPSH43 SMG and a .470 NE double rifle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWhtKiRrYA0&context=C3619dfcADOEgsToPDskKNPYUp1NWdzZxA_-rND1ei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZi5VpAvgo&context=C3b6b877ADOEgsToPDskKHiD0HJC7YrSoddoA7sz8u

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »

Not in the least. The day I don't learn something is the day I need to sell the guns. Yes, I can hit something with a bullet most of the time. I just resent the attitude of someone who has 2 hours experience and knows it all. The same woman who thinks she knows how to drive an antique tractor around 20% + slopes. My whole life has been dangerous equipment and that tractor came real close to being my life insurance check, yet she knows it all. Doesn't know how to steer when the front wheels won't turn it mind you, but she knows it all. Apparently doing it  is more important than admitting lack of knowledge and surviving to be a mom.

Or to paraphrase my hero. A man's got to know his limitations. A woman, not so much.

Oh, I remember, I was heavy into guns for 2-3 years before getting into competition. A case of factory .45 sometimes lasted a week. I knew it all. Then I went to my first match. Oh.

Anyway, but I digress.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »
Knowing how to do something and knowing everything about something are not remotely the same thing. 

Stating that one knows how to do something does not indicate that one has nothing left to learn about that thing.

By your reasoning, you don't know how to speak English either. 

Self-awareness is good.  Stating that one doesn't know how to do something until one knows it better than it is possible for anyone, ever, to know it is just absurd.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2012, 08:31:49 PM »
Knowing how to do something and knowing everything about something are not remotely the same thing. 

Stating that one knows how to do something does not indicate that one has nothing left to learn about that thing.

By your reasoning, you don't know how to speak English either. 

Self-awareness is good.  Stating that one doesn't know how to do something until one knows it better than it is possible for anyone, ever, to know it is just absurd.

Methinks that's his point.

I also find people who think they know all annoying, especially when it involves stuff that most people have many misconceptions about and/or could be dangarous.

If someone walks in looking to work where I work and thinks they know all there is about working with dogs because tey grew up with a family dog, I will laugh in their face and tell them to cut oreo's nails.

Then they can learn all about canine dental marks.
 :angel:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
Methinks that's his point.

If that's his point, he's making it wrong.

Man says he doesn't know how to shoot.  He's been shooting at what I could consider a fairly high level of skill for a while now. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 09:52:40 PM »
My wife has her permit, but rarely carries (she works on an Army base).  Her carry gun is a 2" barreled model 36 LadySmith, with a laser sight.

She prefers shooting Sporting Clays with a SXS 28 ga.  She's also game to try about anything, as proven by these two videos (PPSH43 SMG and a .470 NE double rifle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWhtKiRrYA0&context=C3619dfcADOEgsToPDskKNPYUp1NWdzZxA_-rND1ei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZi5VpAvgo&context=C3b6b877ADOEgsToPDskKHiD0HJC7YrSoddoA7sz8u

Thats pretty cool! I could see my wife liking the SM but not the .470 NE
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2012, 02:38:03 AM »
Well, Spoon currently carries a Kimber compact .45. She also has a Colt Mustang (mom's old gun), and a Ruger SP101... but doesn't yet have holsters for either.

Mom in law is GOING to be carrying a full size Rock Island 1911, as soon as we find her a decent holster...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2012, 04:32:41 AM »
Seems a lot of the womenfolk around here (that I personally know in OKC) prefer 7.62x39.  SKS platform, specifically.  Seems the Warsaw-Pact-Length stock fits them well, with the cartridge offering good performance.

Pistols, on the other hand...  =| Not many into them.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
SWMBO carries a G-19 wherever legal. Has a few others, doesn't shoot as much as I'd like her to. Sometimes better SA than me.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
If it helps, I carry a S&W 686 .357 Magnum with 4" barrel.

My wife won't carry and isn't really into guns, but when we go to the range she is dead nuts accurate with hers...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
My wife likes the Ruger 10-22, and. 22 LR firearms in general.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:30 PM »
SWMBO carries a Smith 37 daily,  and a Colt Mustang when she feels like it.  Her trail gun is  a Colt New Army.  On long guns,  she's partial to an M4gery, a lefty CZ452, and for shotguns, a lefty 20ga 870  I'm a luck guy :)