Author Topic: Weekend++ in Chicago Central Loop  (Read 3093 times)

o-daddy

Weekend++ in Chicago Central Loop
« on: March 30, 2005, 01:43:48 PM »
Dear friends,

This is the first posting of Oleg's father here. We enjoyed your Key West/Miami suggestions very much, and now would like to ask for "more of the same" but with a different twist.

We are flying to Chicago Ordway Friday morning for a short vacation (back to Minneapolis next Tuesday in the evening). This time, we are not planning to rent a car because we booked a hotel in Central Loop area (W. Adams St. near S. Clark St.)

We are very open to suggestions on exhibitions, nice architectural sight seeing (including indoors), Lake shore strolls, jazz places, lunch/dinner places [that are not prohibitively expensive but nice and with character], & Of course, we would take a bus or L-train where warranted.

We would be happy to establish personal contacts if you are willing to meet us in Chicago. There will be Internet access there, and we can arrange phone connection from here (or to/from hotel).

Thank you very much,
Ted V.

pbhome71

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 05:57:58 PM »
The usual things to do is:
- The Art Institute  - walking distance from the loop.
- Field Museum - I think you can either take a cab, or a bus
- The Aquarium is right next to the Field Museum.  Within a short walk, you can visit the Planetarium, with a bonus view of Chicago skyline.

CatsDieNow

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 03:49:41 AM »
I always thought the Wrigley field tours were neat, butI think the first one is a week after you are going to Chicago.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/chc/ballpark/wrigley_field_tours.jsp

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 05:47:17 AM »
Second on Field Museum, you could spend a whole day in there easily.

Ten years ago I was successful at sneaking past all the security guards on the different floors to get a free view of the city with out paying for the obsevation deck ride. Not sure how tight security is after 9-11 though.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

buy guns

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 08:29:37 AM »
you have to go to the sears tower if they observation deck is still open. if not that then at least the hancock building. navy pier is fun. state street has alot of shopping type stuff. make sure to eat at pizzaria uno and berghoffs.

Ron

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »
There are dinner cruise ships at Navy Pier.  http://www.navypier.com/index.cfm

The view of the city from the lake is beautiful.  

Looks like the weather will be nice for your visit,  have fun!!

o-daddy

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 07:52:14 PM »
Thank you for your advice. We'll follow some of them (time/weather limitation). We'll continue monitoring this thread from our hotel in Chicago.
Ted

o-daddy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 06:43:54 PM »
We enjoyed our visit very much though the wind was at time very high.

Instead of Sears, we went to Hancock Building 96th floor cafe late in the evening. Another interesting cafe had the name Orange. A 'Historic Skyscrapers' tour was wonderful (conducted by Architetural Society volunteers).

Thank you again for your advice.

Ron

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 03:18:19 AM »
Glad you enjoyed your visit!

It is called the windy city for more than just its long winded politicians, lol.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 12:07:08 PM »
O'daddy,  Still owe you a bottle of wine at Cafe Sole' in Key West.  We'll be back there Jan 21 thru Feb 11, 2006.  Holler if you'll be in the neighborhood.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 12:15:10 PM »
My old neighborhood--Greektown!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

o-daddy

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 02:58:16 PM »
grampster, thank you for reminding, please repeat the same closer to the date.

El, we enjoyed Pegasus Restaurant and Taverna so much (the selection was done using Metromix Web site)!

Actually, we like Chicago... and it looks only slightly "terrorized by beeing disarmed" smiley