Author Topic: Saddle up, Texas!  (Read 16349 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Saddle up, Texas!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
Somehow I knew you'd like Ron Paul.   [tinfoil]

Say what you will about De Selby's views, but he's always consistently supported individual liberty.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:11 AM »
Say what you will about De Selby's views, but he's always consistently supported individual liberty.

This is the other thing that seems to be driving the establishment political structure nuts -- Paul is creating (or perhaps pointing out) common ground among people with otherwise disparate political views.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:36 AM »
I meant De Selby, but it applies to Ron Paul too. =D

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »
I take that as a compliment - the more I learn about his policies the more I like them.  Ron Paul wants to demolish state power and increase individual power.   That is a good thing. 

RP has been consistent in this view, too.  Unlike the flim flam artists on the stage with him.
Nancy and Newt, sitting in a tree....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »
I take that as a compliment - the more I learn about his policies the more I like them.  Ron Paul wants to demolish state power and increase individual power.   That is a good thing. 

Too bad his foreign policy is straight out of a  TWILIGHT ZONE episode...............[tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

agricola

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
Too bad his foreign policy is straight out of a  TWILIGHT ZONE episode...............[tinfoil]

First Lackey:  Boss!  We gots a war comin'
President:  Start up the Congress!

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
First Lackey:  Boss!  We gots a war comin'
President:  Start up the Congress!

I said TWILIGHT ZONE, not RAWHIDE[popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
Fox (at least our version of it) seems to be virulently anti-Paul at the moment... does this mean he is winning?

The more Fox hates him, the more Democrats will vote for him.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 04:02:58 PM »

What, because he doesn't want to preemptively wipe every little despot off the map?  ;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
What, because he doesn't want to preemptively wipe every little despot off the map?  ;/

Obomba announced today the he is going to wipe out* the majority of States that refuse to submit to the mandatory health insurance edict.  :mad:

The Dictatorship is getting pretty firmly established  :police:

* well, take over those states and make them comply
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »

NO ONE wants to do THAT.   Bizarro strawman argument.   [tinfoil]

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
NO ONE wants to do THAT.   Bizarro strawman argument.   [tinfoil]

Seems to be the accepted right wing response to Iran. :facepalm:
JD

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
 ???  How many candidates are seriously wanting us to go after every last tinpot dictator?

Seriously, you propose one extreme in response to an imagined extreme on the other side. 

Ron Paul seems to want to trust Iran with a nuke.  No one has any reason to believe Iran is trustworthy with a nuke.  We know Israel is because they have them and haven't used them.
Are we really rady to believe Ahmadinejab is nothing but bluff and bluster? 
He may be but I'm not putting any $$ on it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 08:09:06 PM »
???  How many candidates are seriously wanting us to go after every last tinpot dictator?

Seriously, you propose one extreme in response to an imagined extreme on the other side. 

Ron Paul seems to want to trust Iran with a nuke.  No one has any reason to believe Iran is trustworthy with a nuke.  We know Israel is because they have them and haven't used them.
Are we really rady to believe Ahmadinejab is nothing but bluff and bluster? 
He may be but I'm not putting any $$ on it.

Yes it was an over the top shot back to make a point.  There is always some bad guy for them to get us riled about.  The tail is wagging the dog. 
Not quite right.  Ron Paul has said we do not have the constitutional authority to stop Iran from acquiring a nuke.  That's not the same as trusting them. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvaTqLlZlA&sns=em

JD

grampster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 08:39:36 PM »
Iirc, the Constitution says "... reserved to the states respectively, or to the people."  Individual power is pure democracy at best and chaos at worst.  That is why the Founders put together a Federalist system and a representative republic.

Ron Paul's value is the message that he has kept to all these years.  Because of Ron Paul, the TEA party became alive again.  Because of that some truly libertarian/conservative representatives are beginning to get elected and are sticking to their guns.  My guy Justin Amash is one of them.  Ron Paul knows he can't be elected but he will go to sleep one day and know the tremendous positive impact he has had.

Our national state of affairs presently has evolved over the last 70 plus years.  We cannot expect that damage to be healed in a short time.  Obama and his minions need to be ejected next year, in toto.  The key is that he must be beaten and a few more libertarian/conservative elected in the legislative branch and trustworthy respecters of the Constitution and B of R be appointed to the SCOTUS.  Incremental changes are the best if real patriots are elected.  I don't care if they are liberals or conservatives, only that they leave their personal opinions someplace else other than the courtroom.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
A local conservative talk guy said the other day that he agrees with probably 90 to 95% of what Ron Paul does, but that 5% or so is a doozy.  I tend to fit that also.  The biggest thing for me right now is I think I would rather deal with that 5% of Ron Paul for 4 years than Obama. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Our national state of affairs presently has evolved over the last 70 plus years.

70 plus 80 years  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
We cannot expect that damage to be healed in a short time. 

Why not?

Obama and his minions need to be ejected next year, in toto.  The key is that he must be beaten and a few more libertarian/conservative elected in the legislative branch and trustworthy respecters of the Constitution and B of R be appointed to the SCOTUS.  Incremental changes are the best if real patriots are elected. 

And a President Romney will weaken these patriots in the long-term.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 12:35:42 AM »
Yes it was an over the top shot back to make a point.  There is always some bad guy for them to get us riled about.  The tail is wagging the dog.  
Not quite right.  Ron Paul has said we do not have the constitutional authority to stop Iran from acquiring a nuke.  That's not the same as trusting them.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDvaTqLlZlA&sns=em

No "tails are wagging" any dogs.
Should we have gotten riled up about Tojo and Hitler before Dec. 7, 1941?
Probably, but we managed to do a pretty good job of avoiding war until ther war found us.
We did a good job of treating Islamic terrorists as a law enforcement problem until Sept. 11, 2001.
And there are plenty of nutcakes in charge of some odd govt. who do kooky things and say or do nasty things about America, like, for example, Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.
Before we look for "Constitutional authority" to stop Iran from getting any kind of a weapon, from a squirtgun to a nuke, we have to have the cajones to actually go through with some plan to stop Iran's nuclear program ---and I don't think we do.

The world is full of bad guys and always has been.  There's no need to create phony bogeymen when there are real ones out there.
The big question is which ones are truly dangerous to us or to countries of strategic importance to us, or to allied countries.  Right now Ahmadinejab qualifies if only because of his antisemitic rantings and nuclear ambitions, as well as his belief in a final apocolypse.
We don't have to look for bogeymen for the politicians to use to get us "riled up,"  the world is full of them, and they're only "bogeymen" while they're pestering some other people.  When they send 19 terrorists to kill 2973 human beings inside our borders they become a national security threat.  Bin Laden was a great "bogeyman" before that; right out of central casting.

I am not trying to say we need to TKO Ahmadinejab or do anything so far as Iran is concerned.  I've already said I don't think we have the stones to do it.  But I am saying that if there is going to be another blow-up in this world .... another Pearl Harbor, another  North Korea invading South Korea, another invasion of Poland....I think it's a good bet Iran will be at the center of it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »
Nearly a trillion a year in defense spending.
15 trillion in debt.
42 million people on welfare.
Actual unemployment in double digits
20 million illegal immigrants
A welfare state run amok.
Patriot act.
Gitmo.
War on drugs.
I reallly don't care if Iran nukes Isreal.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »

Yes. It's a good thing the United States has no interests whatsoever in a peaceful Middle East.

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, I've heard predictions gas will be $5 per gallon this summer. That'll sure boost the economy, huh!?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »
Yes. It's a good thing the United States has no interests whatsoever in a peaceful Middle East.

On a TOTALLY unrelated note, I've heard predictions gas will be $5 per gallon this summer. That'll sure boost the economy, huh!?

News flash: Its already not a peaceful middle east.

Re: $5 gas
Obama killing the Keystone pipeline will probably ensure that happens.  
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »
News flash: Its already not a peaceful middle east.

Re: $5 gas
Obama killing the Keystone pipeline will probably ensure that happens.  

News flash: it could be worse still.

And, you are quite right about Keystone. Purposely slowing up drilling permits in the gulf is another factor. (I'm not saying the Middle East is currently causing all our energy woes. But, as a fungible commodity, any problems in the Middle East will be reflected in the price of oil, even if we were able to provide the entirety of our oil needs domestically.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:32 AM »
Iran has also been a big issue with oil and gas speculators.  Threats to cut of the strait of Hormuz have contributed to a spike in speculative costs.
Which is the sort of blustering that plays well for their domestic audience in response to the wests big talk about them wanting a nuke. 
Its funny how everytime we start talking big on Iran, they start acting like a 2 year old.  Huh.
JD

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:37 AM »
Nearly a trillion a year in defense spending.
15 trillion in debt.
42 million people on welfare.
Actual unemployment in double digits
20 million illegal immigrants
A welfare state run amok.
Patriot act.
Gitmo.
War on drugs.

Oooooookaaaaaaayyyy..... I guess you're out of the argument, then................ [popcorn] ???