Author Topic: Saddle up, Texas!  (Read 16351 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Saddle up, Texas!
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 11:17:05 AM »
how'd paul do in his home district this time?  thats been a sore spot in the past
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
We already have $5 a gallon gas.

We pay for our gas at more places than the pump. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 12:47:50 PM »
We already have $5 a gallon gas.

We pay for our gas at more places than the pump. 

a much ignored truth!
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 01:07:51 PM »
Iran has also been a big issue with oil and gas speculators.  Threats to cut of the strait of Hormuz have contributed to a spike in speculative costs.
Which is the sort of blustering that plays well for their domestic audience in response to the wests big talk about them wanting a nuke.  
Its funny how everytime we start talking big on Iran, they start acting like a 2 year old.  Huh.

This is quite true.

It's also why "invasion" has been our modus operandi for the past several decades. That or "targeted strikes".

It's because we can't make a credible nuclear threat. We have the capability, but the world knows we don't have the will for that.

If we WERE a credible nuclear threat, Iran wouldn't be acting like a two year old. As I've said many times, the United States is the most benevolent "empire" the world has ever known. (Please note I put empire in quotes because we don't actually have an empire. Just like with our nuclear response, we have the capability, but not the will. Also note, I'm not interested in an the US having an empire, just pointing this out.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 03:31:40 PM »
we don't actually have an empire

Somehow we keep forgetting to plunder after we conquer  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 05:37:21 PM »
This is quite true.

It's also why "invasion" has been our modus operandi for the past several decades. That or "targeted strikes".

It's because we can't make a credible nuclear threat. We have the capability, but the world knows we don't have the will for that.

If we WERE a credible nuclear threat, Iran wouldn't be acting like a two year old. As I've said many times, the United States is the most benevolent "empire" the world has ever known. (Please note I put empire in quotes because we don't actually have an empire. Just like with our nuclear response, we have the capability, but not the will. Also note, I'm not interested in an the US having an empire, just pointing this out.)

If there were a credible nuclear threat, the Russians, Chinese, or us would have miscalculated in times of crisis and we'd all be carving sticks to catch dinner by now.   There's a reason we have a no first-use policy, and it isn't just benevolence.   Signaling to nuclear armed rivals that you'll use nukes to settle your military disputes is crazy.

I keep hearing about how peaceful the "empire" is - what's the evidence for this?  How did that get measured?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
If there were a credible nuclear threat, the Russians, Chinese, or us would have miscalculated in times of crisis and we'd all be carving sticks to catch dinner by now. 

You underestimate how reasonable everybody involve was.

And frankly I doubt this whole 'carving sticks to catch dinner' meme.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
If there were a credible nuclear threat, the Russians, Chinese, or us would have miscalculated in times of crisis and we'd all be carving sticks to catch dinner by now.   There's a reason we have a no first-use policy, and it isn't just benevolence.   Signaling to nuclear armed rivals that you'll use nukes to settle your military disputes is crazy.

I keep hearing about how peaceful the "empire" is - what's the evidence for this?  How did that get measured?
What "empire" are you talking about?
We used to have a "launch on warning" policy which worked.  Beyond that we pretty much didn't advertize how we'd play the game.  Signaling to nuclear armed rivals that you will use nukes to settle ..."disputes" is only "crazy" when the statement is made outside of any meaningful context.
If the  ..."dispute" had been a confirmed first launch of Soviet ICBMs against us, retaliating with our own nukes would be very justified.   Thank God it was never necessary.  
I suppose I should be used to "lack of context" in DeSelby's posts by now .... though. [popcorn] [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »
Somehow we keep forgetting to plunder after we conquer  :facepalm:

....and looting....don't forget the looting.....

....in fact, we should add rape to the list, too....if our SOP was to capture and rape the leaders of hostile nations, they might just settle down a bit....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:24 PM »
You underestimate how reasonable everybody involve was.

And frankly I doubt this whole 'carving sticks to catch dinner' meme.

Had the US used or threatened nuclear weapons for anything other than a nuclear attack, it wouldnt matter how reasonable we thought were - the other powers would have correctly interpreted that as a sign that we were not reasonable.  They wouldve adjusted their policies accordingly, in a way that dramatically increased the odds of a first-strike by them.

How far society falls from a nuke strike depends on how many of the relevant brains get taken out - it isn't just the damage to infrastructure, which would be severe. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2012, 04:00:39 AM »
Had the US used or threatened nuclear weapons for anything other than a nuclear attack, it wouldnt matter how reasonable we thought were - the other powers would have correctly interpreted that as a sign that we were not reasonable.  They wouldve adjusted their policies accordingly, in a way that dramatically increased the odds of a first-strike by them.

The USSR had no such no-first-strike policy.

How far society falls from a nuke strike depends on how many of the relevant brains get taken out - it isn't just the damage to infrastructure, which would be severe. 

With the proper civil defense measures - which at the time were taken by everybody - there would be no new stone age. There would be widespread horrors of many kinds, of course (think of the starvation seen in Soviet Russia during and after WW2), but civilization would continue.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 05:06:18 AM »
With the proper civil defense measures - which at the time were taken by everybody - there would be no new stone age. There would be widespread horrors of many kinds, of course (think of the starvation seen in Soviet Russia during and after WW2), but civilization would continue.

All we need is a nuke to get civilization back?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
The USSR had no such no-first-strike policy.

They did in W Europe, at the beginning of any conflict, to soften up NATO forces.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
Soviet plans for Western Europe explicitly involved a series of tactical nuclear strikes.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
A local conservative talk guy said the other day that he agrees with probably 90 to 95% of what Ron Paul does, but that 5% or so is a doozy.

I feel the same about every other candidate, only with the percentages flipped. So the 5% 'doozy' isn't a deal breaker for me.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine