Author Topic: Serious injuries triple for headphone-wearing pedestrians  (Read 4042 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Serious injuries triple for headphone-wearing pedestrians
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/01/17/serious-injuries-triple-for-headphone-wearing-pedestrians/

This is called no *expletive deleted*it sherlock article.  Lack of situational awareness can cause a lot of problems.

Researchers from the University of Maryland found that people often were hit by vehicles because their music blocked out horns or sirens alerting them to danger.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/01/17/serious-injuries-triple-for-headphone-wearing-pedestrians/#ixzz1jkKb1fIU
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Serious injuries triple for headphone-wearing pedestrians
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
No kidding! Lose one of your senses voluntarily, and you can enter Darwin's Domain.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »
And yet bullshit like this is why the Army (or various SGM's on their own accord) feel the need to stop me on a running track and tell me to take off my headphones. Or why I've had to deal with 5 kph (no that's not a typo) speed limits when passing troops.  If you slow down to the gorram speed limit the troops pass you.

How about we admit that some folks can turn the volume down and maintain situational awareness, and the folks that choose not to, chose their fates?

[/rant]

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:01:23 PM »
Obviously, these stats are not from my hometown.

These idiots don't need headphones to lack situational awarness.

I have often been tempted to pull over, get out, grab one of these jaywalking jack wagons by the ear, drag them back to the intersection and explain how crosswalks work in a very.... uhh... earthy way.
"see that *expletive deleted*ing light shaped like a red hand, you *expletive deleted*ing moron? It means don't *expletive deleted*ing walk out in *expletive deleted*ing traffic you dumb *expletive deleted*ck!"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »

I have often been tempted to pull over, get out, grab one of these jaywalking jack wagons by the ear, drag them back to the intersection and explain how crosswalks work in a very.... uhh... earthy way.
"see that *expletive deleted*ing light shaped like a red hand, you *expletive deleted*ing moron? It means don't *expletive deleted*ing walk out in *expletive deleted*ing traffic you dumb *expletive deleted*!"

Liz,  relax.  The Virginia Supreme Court ruled that jaywalkers who step out into traffic do not have the right of way.  I'm pretty sure that so long as there are no tire marks showing where you swerved in order to hit them you will be all right.  (Sorry 'bout the rest of you folks that still have to try to stop for them.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »
Liz,  relax.  The Virginia Supreme Court ruled that jaywalkers who step out into traffic do not have the right of way.  I'm pretty sure that so long as there are no tire marks showing where you swerved in order to hit them you will be all right.  (Sorry 'bout the rest of you folks that still have to try to stop for them.)

stay safe.

But they'll dent my car! And get stupid on it!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »
This is why you should drive a high-profile pickup/SUV with a corrosion-resistant steel bull bar.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
Darwin....thy new name is Skullcandy.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »
Darwin....thy new name is Skullcandy.....

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

It also means more business later on for SWMBO, as she is an audiologist.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:00:09 AM »
This is why you should drive a high-profile pickup/SUV with a corrosion-resistant steel bull bar.
I think guys call them Deer Guards down here.  Usually they are homemade steel bumpers.  Some will shrug off impacts from small cars. 

I knew a guy at A&M that had a length of 4" pipe as his rear bumper on pickup.  He installed a nipple and filled with compressed air so he could refill a flat at need.  I think that might be illegal though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:38 AM »
I think guys call them Deer Guards down here.  Usually they are homemade steel bumpers.  Some will shrug off impacts from small cars. 

I knew a guy at A&M that had a length of 4" pipe as his rear bumper on pickup.  He installed a nipple and filled with compressed air so he could refill a flat at need.  I think that might be illegal though.

That would be like "reactive armor"... almost.  =)
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
Much better to fill it with flammable hydrogen for the lulz in any rear-end collisions.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:31 AM »
Interestingly, europe has banned the use of pushbars/bullbars precisely because they increase the injuries caused to pedestrians involved in road accidents.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »
Interestingly, europe has banned the use of pushbars/bullbars precisely because they increase the injuries caused to pedestrians involved in road accidents.

Next thing you will be required to have so many inches of foam padding on the front and hood of your car
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
CNY,  don't give them any ideas!
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
New Requirement for EU residents.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »

I hope it is very heavy gauge steel!  It sounds 'splodey.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
I hope it is very heavy gauge steel!  It sounds 'splodey.

Oh, like he didn't think of that.

ETA: I guess this didn't come out quite right.  I meant deliberately making it kind of 'splodey.

41magsnub, see PM

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:25:50 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »

"see that *expletive deleted*ing light shaped like a red hand, you *expletive deleted*ing moron? It means don't *expletive deleted*ing walk out in *expletive deleted*ing traffic you dumb *expletive deleted*!"

You're being nice, I had to restrain myself from running them over as a taxi driver.

When I was a bicycle messenger I would remain silent until right up on them ten yell as loud as I could "oh my gawd look out" as if they were about to be run over by a truck or something.
What really really irks me is moms on crowded city streets who push the baby stroller right out into traffic without looking first. Its like they're testing the water.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."