Author Topic: Toddler's cuss word on 'Modern Family' draws ire  (Read 3889 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Toddler's cuss word on 'Modern Family' draws ire
« on: January 18, 2012, 09:21:05 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/toddlers-cuss-word-modern-family-draws-ire-024407751.html

"Our main goal is to stop this from happening," said McKay Hatch, an 18-year-old college student who founded the No Cussing Club in 2007. "If we don't, at least ABC knows that people all over the world don't want to have a 2-year-old saying the 'F-bomb' on TV."

"We hope they know better," said Hatch. He's asking his club's members, whom he said number 35,000 in the United States and about three-dozen other countries, to complain to ABC.

Are you kidding me? 35,000 people in a country of 310 million? A world of 6 Billion?

Some folks are way too hung up on the own importance in this little world of ours.

I believe that the terrible bleeped cuss word in fudge. Sheesh!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Toddler's cuss word on 'Modern Family' draws ire
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »
Oh for crying out loud.  Toddlers cuss if they hear the words enough.  Heck, they'll say anything if they hear it.  My daughter, now 2, spits out random words all the time.  Today she's with my mom, sitting on her lap, puts a finger on a nipple and says, "Nana's nipple!"  Over and over again.

My other favorites that I've taught her: Grab a cell phone and yell into it "Where's my money?!"

Hold random object over her head and yell, "By the power of Grayskull!"

"Booyah!" is now her go-to one-word exclamation.

Ok, so I might not be the best parent.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Whom?  Wtf, has no one taught the *expletive deleted*tards who write these articles any grammar at all?  Pitiful.  

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:31:57 PM by BridgeRunner »

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »
Oh for crying out loud.  Toddlers cuss if they hear the words enough.  Heck, they'll say anything if they hear it.  My daughter, now 2, spits out random words all the time.  Today she's with my mom, sitting on her lap, puts a finger on a nipple and says, "Nana's nipple!"  Over and over again.

My other favorites that I've taught her: Grab a cell phone and yell into it "Where's my money?!"

You definetly fall for the temptations of parenthood.
Just don't pull the Calvin's dads chriatmas tree stunt.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:48:14 PM by bluestarlizzard »
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »
Not so, Buist.  My daughter Ellie knows which words she is not allowed to say.  And being the perfect child that she is, I know that she will continue to obey me on this point until the day after she graduates high school, which is when I've told her she will be permitted to use any words she wants.  I'm not at all looking forward with anticipation and dread to that phone call from school one day, because she's such a little angel.   =D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »

My cousin has a 2 y.o. daughter. Last time I visited with them, I took the opportunity to teach her some new vocabulary. She now thinks pigs are called "Bacon" and the cat is "emergency bacon".

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »
Obviously this *expletive deleted*che is not a fan of Christmas Story!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgx1sSfriIA

Ironically, this clown has failed to notice that his childish language rant has brought more attention to the F bomb than the show's episode ever will.

Looks as if he has completely failed in his mission!  =D
Even more irony in the fact that he has helped the show's ratings more then he will ever know.
He has met the enemy, and it is him! I will sleep well tonight.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
My cousin has a 2 y.o. daughter. Last time I visited with them, I took the opportunity to teach her some new vocabulary. She now thinks pigs are called "Bacon" and the cat is "emergency bacon".

I give this two thumbs up, sir!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:34 PM »
She now thinks pigs are called "Bacon" and the cat is "emergency bacon".

I lol'd. Hard.

I grew up with a truck driver for a dad who cussed hard in nearly every sentence, and mom that wasn't much better. Somehow, I learned that I wasn't allowed to say those words. Maybe I just don't remember the times I got beat for saying them, but apparently it worked. I now know a lot of classic anglo-saxisms and when it's appropriate to use them.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »
I will bet that McKay Hatch hasn't been *expletive deleted*ed at all in his short life time.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »

You are truly evil - I am lucky that it was only ice water that I snorted on the laptop screen!  =D

Regarding parenting, I ain't casting no stones.
My kids have heard it all from me over the years, unfortunately, but they know what they can say.
Thankfully they are intelligent and very articulate, due to their mother's influence.
I am waiting on that call from the Catholic school about my son, though, one of these days...... =D

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
Not so, Buist.  My daughter Ellie knows which words she is not allowed to say.

We haven't tried telling her which words are bad.  When she picks something up, like yelling "OH MY GOD!" we just take that as a signal that we say it too much around her and stop.  Seems to fix it.

We'll probably start correcting her, if she ever picks them up, soon.  She's picking up on language skills quickly.  Yesterday morning she woke up and I asked her if she had a dream.  She said, "I was running, and running, and running, really fast!  I was number 8."

Not really sure where she picked that up.  She had been looking at some of my dad's running trophies the night before.  *shrug*

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »
I will bet that McKay Hatch hasn't been *expletive deleted*ed at all in his short life time.
Yea, but he's *expletive deleted*ed now!

ETA: Snort! Someone has already started a F/B group Go F Yourself McKay Hatch.
Also seems that his nocussing.com site is down. Oopsie!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:59:33 PM by Jamie B »

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:04:30 PM »
My daughters new favorite is "Criminey!" when she gets frustrated.  She learned from my mom while watching football.  She also says "Oh me gosh!" a lot.  When we go out to eat, she usually stuns the waitress with "I would like <entree she wants>, apple juice and 4 or 5 sides of bacon for me and my dad to share, if you have any."  We are still working on that one though.

She knows what the unacceptable words are.  If she gets mad at me, usually for beating her at Chutes and Ladders she will say, "Daddy, you are a bad word!".   =D

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »

Hee-hee.

"Our main goal is to stop this from happening," said McKay Hatch, an 18-year-old college student who founded the No Cussing Club in 2007. "If we don't, at least ABC knows that people all over the world don't want to have a 2-year-old saying the 'F-bomb' on TV."

I think I'd rather hear "F***" than "F-bomb," any day. So annoying.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »
I went shopping ( an arduous 300 mile round trip - every time ) with the local good looking single mom recently , as we drove through a rough section of town I turned to her and her son and said "we are in the ghetto now" her 4 yr old of course wanted to know what a ghetto was , before she could reply I said "its where we buy our crack, we will be sure to get some, remember when you get back to tell everyone we were in the ghetto buying crack" >:D >:D

Sometimes I can't help myself...
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 01:40:59 AM »
I went shopping ( an arduous 300 mile round trip - every time ) with the local good looking single mom recently , as we drove through a rough section of town I turned to her and her son and said "we are in the ghetto now"

Does that line work on women?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 09:08:49 AM »
Yeah, it is COMPLETELY out of line when people get annoyed seeing bad behaviour modeled on TV.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=33130.0

(Although I think the title of that thread ought to be the title of this one...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 09:18:40 AM »
Mine know what they're not supposed to say too.

However, they invent convoluted legalistic situations where they get to say them by way of explaining what happened, or what someone else got in trouble for.
I promise not to duck.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
Ahhh..brings back some memories.  Grandma (my mom) was visiting one time, and out of the blue, my 6-7 year old daughter blurted out " that TV is driving me Fing crazy".
Even better, when I told her that she shouldn't use THAT word, she said, "Gramma say's it".  My mom is a very conservative Southern Baptist who never cusses.  You should of seen the look on her face.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
My 18 almost 19 year old daughter uses Frickin a lot.  I hate it and let her know it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
My son, who just recently turned 4, said "stop it you idiot" the other day when I picked him up at the store when he wouldn't come along with me.  I was shocked, and we had a talk about it right then and there.  

I knew we had never said that word in his presence.  

I finally realized that he got the idea to say it from watching the Peanuts Christmas Special when he called his little brother a blockhead.  :facepalm:
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
My wife was baby sitting her niece and I would drop by and stay there with her a few hours every now and then. One day the niece was out with her Me-Maw and they were in the Wal-Mart parking lot and they saw a dog. Heather, the niece, says "Look Me-Maw! What a cute puppy! Don't you like that puppy? If that was my puppy you know what I would name it? *expletive deleted*che Bag! Don't you think that's a cute name?"
Well, Me-Maw about had a heart attack and asked her where she had heard that and she said Unka Peeby and Aunt Tay-Tay called each other that and she thought it was cute! Needless to say, Me-Maw AND Heather's Mom and Dad had a few choice new words for Unka Peeby and Aunt Tay-Tay...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »

Does that line work on women?

Not yet
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 08:54:20 AM »
When we go out to eat, she usually stuns the waitress with "I would like <entree she wants>, apple juice and 4 or 5 sides of bacon for me and my dad to share, if you have any."  We are still working on that one though.
Okay, I lost it.  :laugh:

/continues taking notes for Parenting  :angel:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams