Author Topic: BABES WITH GUNS  (Read 7696 times)

BABES WITH GUNS
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:55:30 AM »
Made you look. What's up with the whole "woman in a photo with a gun equals a ten page thread of men drooling over it" thing?

I find it pretty dumb.

grampster

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:14:34 AM »
I thought you were going to comment on the "America's First Freedom" article.  Then I remembered it was "Babes with Bullets" just after I clicked on yer post.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

SpookyPistolero

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:23:51 AM »
You can't begin to know my relief in finding that this is not, in fact, a set of links to a broads n' bullets site. It's hard for me to imagine anything that cheapens THR and all of us as much as those threads.  

It always feels like the reactions are a bit fake and dishonest anyway, like people say to themselves, 'hey, I like scantily clad women, and I like EBRs, I ought to love this!' .  So they toss up the uber masculine air-five, like the two actually add up to something.

If I were a woman, I'd resent or avoid the 'gun culture' like the plague, too.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

cordex

• Administrator
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:25:40 AM »
What's up with the whole "woman in a photo with a gun equals a ten page thread of men drooling over it" thing?

I find it pretty dumb.
Agreed.

...has left the building.

BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
haha! The first thing I thought when I saw the title and your name was that this would be an experiment to see how many views you would get. I'm wagering that you will get a very high number!

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:59:40 PM »
Well, you got one more, but I was halfway expecting baby photos.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:13:31 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 02:07:53 PM »
I don't know, some babes with guns pictures are pretty well done...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »
I find I always notice the guns first...no matter what the image is like.
"Oh hey...that a custom 1911...?  Hrm...WTF NUDITY!! @_@" is about how it pans out.
I think that girls with guns are attractive than if they were unarmed.  Not in a sexual way, however.
Girl with gun makes me think "Gee, that's a down to Earth, responsible girl," which is rare these days.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 09:24:58 PM »
Well, obviously, they don't use babes to sell anything else.  It's not like they use babes to sell cars or cigarettes or men's magazine or...everything.  Yeah...

Azrael256

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:59:41 PM »
Uh...  is that an SKS with the stock off a sten gun and a pistol grip?  What's up with the ammo belt?  I don't see a beltfed in the picture.

Weird.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 03:11:40 AM »
Oh, for crying out loud, Azrael.  You might as well ask why Xena's breastplate leaves the top of her chest entirely unprotected.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HForrest

BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 04:39:27 AM »
I really don't find anything particularly hot about women with guns. I agree, it's a pretty dumb concept.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 07:51:08 AM »
It's a complicated meme, the subject appeals to various factors.

1. A (usualy) attractive woman. Perhaps scantily clad.  Simple enough to understand in the context of heterosexual male sexuality. Men are visualy oriented, and visual representations of women go a long way with men to direct sexual stimulation. On average, women are more complex, and the image of an attractive male is only used to kick off a more complex emotional response and internal processing that's not as direct as a male response to an image.

2. The gun. This is a bit more complex. It's appeal in combination with the woman has got a couple potential facets to it:

2a. The woman holding a gun creates a visual assumption that she naturaly endorse basic male traits, such as weaponry/defense, machinery/gadgets, independence etc. Things many modern women and the mainstream culture/media try daily to suppress in men.

2b  Women, as a general rule, are under-represented in the various shooting disciplines. Seeing a woman draped in the accoutraments of shooting makes her seem unique.

2c Even if it's just a picture, the woman holding a gun provides a subliminal sense for an avenue of approach for a man. Even if in a comitted relationship, men instinctualy are constantly evaluating every woman they see as potential mates, and trying to determine an approach, even if they never act on it. An attractive woman just standing there in a bikini provides no avenue for approach (this is of course all just thereoretical, as she's just a picture, but the mental response in the man is the same.) other than a pretty blatant approach based on sexual attraction, and little else. Despite how rediculous it seems, the model holding the gun, (or tools, or in a hot-rod car, etc. they're all the same) provides the notion that you could approach the woman and discuss the firearms, shooting etc., and provide an initial façade of non-sexual interest.

I provide this analysis in jest, but only HALF in jest.
I promise not to duck.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »
Some are kind of dumb.  OTOH, I don't mind looking at a picture of an attractive woman.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 08:20:10 AM »
I see belts in a lot of photos...
Pictures of people (male or female) holding a .223 AR-15 while wearing a belt full of some large caliber cartridge.
Especially in drawings...people draw the belt to make them look 'hardc0r3' when in fact it makes them look stupid.
"DERR I CARRY ROUND EXTRA AMMO FOR A GUN I DUN HAVE," basically.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

spinr

BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
Along the same lines, I always get a kick out of seeing a female poster annouce her presence on a message board and subsequently being leg-humped to death by the male posting population...

rolleyes

Tongue

Fudgieghost

BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
AJ: there's two m's in "committed".

Perd Hapley

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 01:09:02 PM »
It depends on whether the girl is just posing in a bikini or whether she is normally clothed, and appears to be using the gun in earnest.  I am more attracted to women who stand up for themselves, so a woman who will use a gun to defend herself is more attractive to me.  Doesn't apply, though, if she's just wearing the gun and not much else.

Quote from: AJ Dual
2a. The woman holding a gun creates a visual assumption that she naturaly endorse basic male traits, such as weaponry/defense, machinery/gadgets, independence etc. Things many modern women and the mainstream culture/media try daily to suppress in men.

2c Even if it's just a picture, the woman holding a gun provides a subliminal sense for an avenue of approach for a man. Even if in a comitted relationship, men instinctualy are constantly evaluating every woman they see as potential mates, and trying to determine an approach, even if they never act on it. An attractive woman just standing there in a bikini provides no avenue for approach (this is of course all just thereoretical, as she's just a picture, but the mental response in the man is the same.) other than a pretty blatant approach based on sexual attraction, and little else. Despite how rediculous it seems, the model holding the gun, (or tools, or in a hot-rod car, etc. they're all the same) provides the notion that you could approach the woman and discuss the firearms, shooting etc., and provide an initial façade of non-sexual interest.
I agree, except that I don't think it's about having an easy way to hit on the girl, it's the appeal of a woman who would not merely tolerate, but share or at least participate in one's own interests.

Also, things like guns and fast cars are exciting to guys, so it just adds that much more interest to the image.

Chris

BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 05:23:50 PM »
Come, gentlemen, let us admit something to ourselves, and to each other.  An attractive woman will get our attention. Take this same woman, have her strap on a Kimber 1911 in a Galco holster, with a pair of mags on the off-side, and she just got a whole lot more interesting.  Have her draw, empty a mag into the target in a nice group, reload with grace, and holster while keeping her finger off tehtrigger and out of the trigger guard, and each one of us may be looking for a cigarette.   Worked with an attractive young attorney at the prosecutor's office, but she had a Wilson 1911, not a Kimber.  She was married, I still am.  BUt I'll admit, in the jeans with the holster and mag pouch on, se looked very hot.

BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 06:05:10 PM »
The first picture is fine. The woman is pretty but that's not the whole basis of the picture. The second one has no relationship to guns except as props. It annoys me.

endorse basic male traits, such as weaponry/defense, machinery/gadgets, independence etc.
Those aren't male traits. Those are traits that males have. They're also traits I have and all indications are, last I looked, that I'm a chick.

image of an attractive male is only used to kick off a more complex emotional response
The bigger problem is that most of ya'll are just so damned ugly we don't want to look at you.

(This analysis also done at least partially in jest. )

Smiley

Antibubba

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 06:14:02 PM »
It isn't the concept that bothers me.  It's the execution.  It's a crying shame when you can look at the girl, look at the gun, and then look back at the girl and not be sure which one has more unnecessary, unbecoming aftermarket parts.

If you've never seen Oleg's photos of Kitiara with "the arsenal", I highly recommend them.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 05:37:22 AM »
Quote from: Antibubba
If you've never seen Oleg's photos of Kitiara with "the arsenal", I highly recommend them.
I could go on his website to look for that, but the pictures of naked girls who appear to be underaged makes me wary of that.  I'm just a bad judge of age, I guess.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
BABES WITH GUNS
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
I'm just a bad judge of age
I think the youngest subject is 20 and most are 24-31.