Author Topic: Wikipedia is real smart.  (Read 1546 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Wikipedia is real smart.
« on: January 21, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »
Could someone please help me to understand the following quotation? It is too smart for me.

Charcoal production is usually illegal and nearly always unregulated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal#Environmental_implications
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Wikipedia is real smart.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
That does seem contradictory doesn't it?

Maybe they are trying to say it is flat out illegal and as such, there is no regulations for when and where it can be produced because people aren't supposed to be doing it in the first place?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:17:52 PM »
Well, it's not being regulated until the people doing the processing get caught, right?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
Charcoal production at a sub-industrial level is one of the primary causes of deforestation in the Developing World. Charcoal production is usually illegal and nearly always unregulated.[citation needed] Massive forest destruction has been documented in areas such as Virunga National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where it is considered to be a primary threat to the survival of the mountain gorillas.[9] Similar threats are found in Zambia.

The whole paragraph.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »
Similar threats are found in Zambia.
I saw quite a few "local" charcoal ovens when I was in Zambia some years back.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:08:53 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
The whole paragraph.

What, you think things need to be interpreted in context or somethin?

I guess what they're saying is that it is officially outlawed, but the laws are not enforced. Still, clumsy wording.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »
I make charcoal on a fairly regular basis, I'm not aware of any regulation on it's production in my jurisdiction.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:53:31 PM »
Mostly illegal since it's not the producer is poaching the trees they cook. Laws not enforced because not enough manpower to do it and survive.  The dhow we re-capped from Somali pirates was hauling charcoal from India to Kenya. The fact that  a low grade cargo like that even makes economic sense illustrates how crappy things are in Africa.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »
Mostly illegal since it's not the producer is poaching the trees they cook. Laws not enforced because not enough manpower to do it and survive.  The dhow we re-capped from Somali pirates was hauling charcoal from India to Kenya. The fact that  a low grade cargo like that even makes economic sense illustrates how crappy things are in Africa.

Wow...

Reminds me of modern Appalachian poverty documentaries, where they'll often make a point of following kids out to the local highway cuts through the hills, where they'll dig a basket of coal out of the strata to help heat the house.
I promise not to duck.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 02:53:41 AM »
I make charcoal on a fairly regular basis,...

Is that a euphemism for something?  Should you be seeing a doctor?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:45:38 AM »
Is that a euphemism for something?  Should you be seeing a doctor?

DD

Nope, actually making charcoal. It is an essential ingredient in a number of concoctions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 03:49:39 PM »
Nope, actually making charcoal. It is an essential ingredient in a number of concoctions.

So is corn  ;)

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin