Author Topic: The Dumbest Idea of 2012 / "Zombie Feminism"  (Read 978 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Dumbest Idea of 2012 / "Zombie Feminism"
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:15:32 AM »
http://isteve.blogspot.com/2012/01/dumbest-idea-of-2012.html

For a host of reasons, you haven't heard much about boxing in recent Olympics. It's a fading sport. But at least it has tradition.

But adding women's boxing to the Olympics at this point in the history of boxing is a little like adding Women's Plunge for Distance to the 2012 Games.
Putting women's boxing in the Olympics in 2012 is just Zombie Feminism, following out the logic of gender equality to a reductio ad absurdum.

Author then quotes an article he wrote a while back about the Clint Eastwood boxing euthanasia movie:
In reality, women's boxing is a pseudo-feminist trashsport that briefly flourished in the 1990s when impresario Don King noticed that Mike Tyson fans got some kind of weird kick out of preliminary catfights between battling babes.

I plead guilty. 

A buddy would pay the pay-per-view, we would chip in, and we would watch Tyson maul some mook.  Got broing, though, after he won so quick so many times.  His handlers knew there had to be some other attraction, so the had some women's fights.  A couple of them even had some boxing skills, so it was like watching one of the men's flyweight fights where there is a lot of action, but no power for a knockout.

I cut my own foray into kickboxing short after I realized I did not have enough any talent for it, guys in my weight class could throw TBI-level blows, and a speech impediment would not increase my employment prospects.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
Re: The Dumbest Idea of 2012 / "Zombie Feminism"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:57:59 AM »
For a host of reasons, you haven't heard much about boxing in recent Olympics. It's a fading sport. But at least it has tradition.
Much of boxing is no longer a sport, since you usually have "decisions" by a panel of judges . . . and at the end of each match, both boxers are usually still on their feet.

(As far as I'm concerned, if winners are selected by a panel of judges, it's not actually a sport.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »

Gloves unfortunately probably do more damage than not. Prior to gloves, you didn't want to punch someone in the head too hard, as you'd likely break your hand. Heavier gloves used these days allow you to do so with little chance of breaking your hand. Over time, this causes dementia pugilistica.

Ironically, MMA, which is more "violent", is less likely to be as unhealthy as boxing. Fewer blows to the head than boxing over the length of a career, but it is still obviously a concern.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
Jello wrestling is much better.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »
Jello wrestling is much better.

If the play-by-play announcer has an upper-class brit accent, it actually is educational.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
(As far as I'm concerned, if winners are selected by a panel of judges, it's not actually a sport.)

True.....boxing has become the new figure skating....but with more clothing....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.